Delta Computer Outage today 8/8/16

Sitting here in the Atlanta airport expecting to get on a flight to Detroit. I talked to one woman who was supposed to be on her way to Orlando to meet friends and go cruising. She does have insurance, so I recommended calling Southwest ASAP to try to get on one of their flights.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/08/news/companies/delta-system-outage-flights/index.html

Reason #1 why we ALWAYS plan to fly in at least a day in advance.

...unless this would occur on that day. And as in this case may take days to recover from. Unfortunately not everyone has the option of traveling early - even if that would provide a cushion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Living in Atlanta, Delta is normally the best option for travel with their locations served and flight times, but I have to give it up to Southwest.

They were able to accommodate the lady I was speaking to for a very reasonable flight cost of 164.00.

Crisis averted. I told her to make sure she contacts Delta, so they can accommodate her on her return flight and not cancel the ticket.

Living in Atlanta, Delta is normally the best option for travel with their locations served and flight times, but I have to give it up to Southwest.

They were able to accommodate the lady I was speaking to for a very reasonable flight cost of 164.00.

Crisis averted. I told her to make sure she contacts Delta, so they can accommodate her on her return flight and not cancel the ticket.

Glad it worked out for her, she was fortunate to find an alternative at the last minute.

This is why I like to cruise out of my local port! The airlines will always mess up your vacation plans if they have the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Living in New York, there are no European cruises from my local ports. We are flying Delta to Rome 9/1. Hope todays outage gets it out oftheir system.

Living in New York, there are no European cruises from my local ports. We are flying Delta to Rome 9/1. Hope todays outage gets it out oftheir system.

Sure there are. Doesn't Queen Something or other do summer TA's

I thought it was Don't Expect Luggage to Arrive.:confused:

DELTA: Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport

[emoji35]

In my most recent experience...its both! Flight delays caused 2 missed connections and lost luggage. I was very fortunate that we were flying in 3 days early, so no missed cruise, but I never got my luggage. Now that I am home, Delta called to tell me its back at my home airport, but 14 days with no clothes/shoes/etc. was a real problem. Venice is not the easiest place to replace a wardrobe!!

This is why I like to cruise out of my local port! The airlines will always mess up your vacation plans if they have the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having flown to port in 29 out of 31 cruises without a cancellation or delay, I would dispute that claim. The other two were by limo and bus. Just sayin'...

Southwest had a similar problem in July 2016.

Yup, and we were caught in the aftermath. Southwest's problem was on Wednesday. Our flight on Friday afternoon was canceled at the last minute, and we were scheduled to set sail on our cruise on Saturday.

While waiting in line to see what Southwest could do, I used my cell phone to book us all tickets for the next morning's JetBlue flight* so we'd have something to fall back on.

By the time we got up to the counter, all Southwest could offer was to get us to Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, which would have been too late. Fortunately, we had the JetBlue option already booked. By that time, the rest of the seats on that flight were sold out. Acting quickly may have saved our cruise!

Southwest did refund our nonrefundable tickets and also gave us travel vouchers for future use. I'll be working with our travel insurance provider to see what they'll cover since the JetBlue tickets were more expensive than the Southwest ones.

* I bought the tickets on JetBlue just in case since I knew that they'd be fully refundable if we didn't need them.

For people who may not know this, all US carriers' flights, even discounted and nonrefundable ones, are fully refundable within the first 24 hours after purchase. This is due to a US federal law that requires that airlines provide refunds during that time.

In my most recent experience...its both! Flight delays caused 2 missed connections and lost luggage. I was very fortunate that we were flying in 3 days early, so no missed cruise, but I never got my luggage. Now that I am home, Delta called to tell me its back at my home airport, but 14 days with no clothes/shoes/etc. was a real problem. Venice is not the easiest place to replace a wardrobe!!

Never flew without carry on with changes of clothes. Even when we drive to ports we take small carry on with change of clothes. Luggage gets lost, have had it happen.

Never flew without carry on with changes of clothes. Even when we drive to ports we take small carry on with change of clothes. Luggage gets lost, have had it happen.

Oh I had a carry on with 2 changes of clothes actually. But on a 14 day vacation, 2 changes of clothes doesn't get you too far! I never travel without a carry on for the things I could not live without. That way, if the luggage gets lost, while its a HUGE hassle, it's not devastating to my vacation.