Yacht Club: Family Friendly?

hunterjackson

Hahaha I just love how people "demand" respect. I was always taught you earned respect, kids need to stay in their place and parents need to supervise and be an example for their children. Obviously now a days the kids run the show. (I have this time and time again) it's a shame.

One of the reasons I booked the YC instead of the Haven was because I was told there weren't a lot of kids in the YC (as opposed to NCL's Haven) and those that were there were well behaved.

Now it seems some people think if their child is in the pool the adults shoudl stay out or expect to be splashed and probably kicked.:o

Edited by mafig

My personal opinion is the YC should be adults only, I know I here flack regarding this but all the activities for kids are located on the other deck's where there are more children. If I were a child were there is primary adults I would be bored to death.

my personal opinion is the yc should be adults only, i know i here flack regarding this but all the activities for kids are located on the other deck's where there are more children. If i were a child were there is primary adults i would be bored to death.

totally agree!!!!!

This is sort of bothersome. I see more and more of this attitude, also.

Kids are allowed to do whatever they want, regardless of how those around them are affected. This has nothing to do with not knowing what it was like to be a kid. We were all kids. Most of us have had kids.

I think most of us were respectful or raised our kids to be respectful. A few, very few I hope, seem to think everyone else is supposed to allow their children to do most anything because they're children. Not true!

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone's idea of "kids having fun" is different. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise and there was a group of kids around 8-12 and the parents were in a group a few rows back from the beach pool. The kids were running around the pool, jumping from one of the higher levels, one landed on another passenger. One of the boys ended up falling on the pool deck and smashing his head...hard! That is when the parents finally paid attention. I do NOT find this fun. The parents were then angry that their son fell "on a wet, slippery deck" implying it was the ship's fault.
Sounds like another example of parents taking vacation from being parents. They don't realize that it's a 24/7 365 day job for 18 years. I have seen this type of behavior on NCL, RCI, Carnival and to a lesser extent on Celebrity.

I'm just hoping that there will not be too many of the ill mannered rug rats on our January 2018 Seaside cruise. It will be our first time in the YC and since school is back in session and it's right after the holidays, the annoying 8-12 year olds should be few and far between.

We raised 2 daughters who were always taught to respect other people. They were never allowed to run around a restaurant, never allowed to talk back to an adult (as a child they do need to respect adults) and were always taught to be polite. They were disciplined and loved very much. I do not feel like kids who are raised to always think that their happiness supercedes everyone else's learn much about the way "real life" is. Not everyone will respect their "right" to do their own thing without regard to others. I respect every parent's right to choose how to raise their children but I don't have to respect poor manners when they are shoved in my face...just my opinion.

We raised 2 daughters who were always taught to respect other people. They were never allowed to run around a restaurant, never allowed to talk back to an adult (as a child they do need to respect adults) and were always taught to be polite. They were disciplined and loved very much. I do not feel like kids who are raised to always think that their happiness supercedes everyone else's learn much about the way "real life" is. Not everyone will respect their "right" to do their own thing without regard to others. I respect every parent's right to choose how to raise their children but I don't have to respect poor manners when they are shoved in my face...just my opinion.

where is the "like button" when you need it !!!

Very well said !

OF COURSE children need to respect adults!

agree 100%

(btw I have 2 kids too and TRY to teach them just the way you describe!)

Edited by plucasana

plucasana, I didn't say we were perfect at it by any means but like you we tried our best! Our girls are both successful, professional, respected business women at this point so I guess trying hard is all we can do. I am sure we would love to have your kids around.

Family friendly is one thing. Family abusive is something else. I don't want your kids splashing around the YC pool, whether I'm there first or not. Take control. You are not supposed to be their friends, but their parents to show them right from wrong.

Thanks mom!! I don't have children and so my life is a little different. No where did I say they couldn't laugh and play. I could have been a crappy person and complained to their parents or even scolded the kids.... people do that. Instead I let them have their fun and chose to get out of the pool.

Please don't quote me and then try and judge and lecture me because I didn't want to get continually splashed by 3 kids doing cannon balls into a small pool. I never asked for any respect in my statement and so I don't know what your referring to. I will say this, why is it that most parents think everyone else, especially others that don't have children, have to deal with their brats no matter what? On planes, on cruise ships, in restaurants if your kids are rude and disrespectful then I don't blame the child I look at the parents.

Like!!! <3

How on earth is a kid playing in a pool splashing water being disrespectful I mean seriously they are kids

Couldn't agree more. Bnorris. We've sailed in the YC 4 times now, and there have been some children (not loads) and they splash in the pool, laugh a bit louder, move a bit quicker than the over 40's generally having a good time. I've never heard any of them being rude or disrespectful. I love hearing them laughing and watching them play. BTW I'm female over 50 with grown up children and grandchildren. I'd take my grandchildren on a cruise in the YC in a heart beat :):)

• 2 years later...

I have been on several NCL Haven cruises and will try YC next.

The way I approach it is that MSC, like NCL allows kids so I do my best to book at a time I think it will not be completely overrun. I am lucky and can choose any week. I chose early May 2019.

I do not have kids. But am a "favorite Aunt" and I love seeing the joy through the kids in my presence. I cannot say I have ever encountered a situation in the Haven that was upsetting.

I plan to spend some amount of time relaxing around the pool. Noise would only bother me if it was louder than my ipod with Texas country or if roughhousing was right at my lounger. Otherwise, I am fine with kids enjoying their vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How on earth is a kid playing in a pool splashing water being disrespectful I mean seriously they are kids

We were in The Haven recently. 4 small children were running and jumping into both the spa and pool. Adults in spa were getting splashed in the face. High pitched screaming during the entire time. Some of us reading looked at parent. She could have cared less.

It was hardly a “Haven”.

With roof closed , screaming echoed so much the butler came as he thought someone was hurt.

I suggested to the butler , please let family Know there is a kids club with lots of fun stuff for kids. It turns out Mom did not know there was a kids club. After that, they went there during day and stopped by Haven Courtyard for the cookies and gummy bears before heading back to cabin, exhausted and happy.

For me, when in an Adult Area, kids should behave like they would in the classroom. Respectful and self aware. Pretty sure parents would not allow kids running and screaming in the restaurant.

We are booked in YC for cruise in Europe . Will be interesting to see what the experience will be like. Looking forward to it.

Edited by phissy

My 11 and 13 year old will be in the YC with us this March. The 13 year old still loves to do cannon balls into the pool but he understands he doesn't do them near adults or even other kids. But on a cruise, I've never seen he or his sister in the pool. They're too busy at the waterslides and other activities. Probably why one of the posters never saw a child in the pool. Sounds like this may be more of a perceived problem than an actual problem. Are there widespread concerns over disruptive children in the YC? If not, why do my pre-teens quietly reading their books at dinner or sitting at a table just off the bar playing chess ruin any adult's vacation? Not all kids behave badly.

This reminds me of a funny story when my son was about 8 and there was a rather large man was sitting in a hotel hot tub that meaured appoximately 4 x 6 feet. He occupied most of the hot tub but my son climbed in sitting directly across from him and kept smiling at him and the man lept out like someone had dropped a Baby Ruth candy bar in there (think Caddy Shack).

Also, Carnival might have struck a good compromise with its Havana area making it so no one under 12 could stay in a room there period or be in the pool and bar area until after 7 pm. Not a big fan of just outright banning kids, and not just because I have them.

Yeah, look, MSC is a "family" cruise line. There are and will continue to be kids everywhere on MSC ships including in the YC. Children will be disruptive to the peace and quiet treasured by some cruisers and the best choice for such cruisers is to avoid the "mainstream" i.e. most affordable cruise lines like MSC, NCL, RC and go for "premium" cruise lines such as Celebrity, Princess, Cunard or better still "luxury" or "ultra luxury" cruise lines such as Oceania, Windstar, Silver Sea, Regent Seven Seas, Crystal etc which are out of economic reach of most families.

Kids jumping and splashing in the pool, and having way too much fun. That must have been terrible for the adults to get splashed with water whilst in the pool, and to listen to all that laughter. I totally absolutely agree that parents should supervise their children, but come on they have every right to enjoy the pool as much as any adult. BTW my children are adults now and I love the YC for the peace and quie, but I would much rather listen to cchildren laughing and having fun in the pool than screaming and crying in the restaurant.

It's not any adults right to be automatically respected by children, you need to prove you deserve that respect and to show it back.

Absolutely, after 42 cruises on various cruiselines we know that some adults are more of a problem than the kids....and that is evidenced by some on this thread!! For example, if you sit next to the pool it is likely you will be splashed....don't complain, sit elsewhere, it's not rocket science!

Edited by hamrag

Yeah, look, MSC is a "family" cruise line. There are and will continue to be kids everywhere on MSC ships including in the YC. Children will be disruptive to the peace and quiet treasured by some cruisers and the best choice for such cruisers is to avoid the "mainstream" i.e. most affordable cruise lines like MSC, NCL, RC and go for "premium" cruise lines such as Celebrity, Princess, Cunard or better still "luxury" or "ultra luxury" cruise lines such as Oceania, Windstar, Silver Sea, Regent Seven Seas, Crystal etc which are out of economic reach of most families.
Not all adults that wish to not be disturbed by unruly children have the economic feasibility to afford the luxury or ultra luxury lines that you mention. There are options such as the Vibe area on NCL and the new Havana area on Carnival that would appeal to this group but an even better option would be for parents to not take vacation from parenting and let their little angels run amok. If they're going to be in an area such as the YC or the Haven, then they should know their place and be respectful of the adults in the area. There is always going to be a line in the sand regarding this topic with the parents of little ones on one side and adults wanting a peaceful environment on the other. If the parents of the little ones brought up their children with manners, then the point would be moot. By many parents turn a blind eye and let kids be kids. This attitude even includes those that can afford to stay in the YC or the Haven.