No more balcony/suite discount within 6 months(as of Sept 1,2016)

PH8

I never get a Diamond discount because I book with an on-line dot com site (often a big box store) that has "group" bookings. Does anyone else have this issue?

We book with a travel agent all the time, and get balcony discounts with group bookings. Something else must be in play in your case.

Bob,

Thanks, not really a great selection of cruises. The rep stated these cruise promotion was better than the balcony discount. What a cheap and demeaning way of justifying their change to loyalty amenity.

I can not blame the rep, they were scrambling for answers the past few days. That is why the complaint website was brought on stream and why I posted the link.

Gees, I hate being treated like an idiot.

I don't always book more than 6 months out, but when I do, I watch for price drops before final. I got a good one recently, on 2 categories, at 3 1/2 months out. I wonder if they will take away the balcony discount you had if you want a price adjustment at < 6 months.

Where are you guys posting on the unnamed social media site? The one I see is just puppy dogs and flowers. ;) I'm guessing there is a different page somewhere?

I sympathize with those of you affected. We always book 6 months out and since we are Club Royale, we lost the balcony discount when that happened. But...it does seem to be deliberately targeting regular cruisers. Hmm...age discrimination? I would guess that most last minute cruisers are retirees since those of us in the work world have to plan our vacation times a little more in advance.

Where are you guys posting on the unnamed social media site? The one I see is just puppy dogs and flowers. ;) I'm guessing there is a different page somewhere?

It's on the right side, scroll down a bit, click on 'visitor posts'. Then you have to keep scrolling down to read all of the posts.

I never get a Diamond discount because I book with an on-line dot com site (often a big box store) that has "group" bookings. Does anyone else have this issue?

If you are referring to Costco, I always get the balcony discount. You have to call and ask for it, and they call RCCL to have the price calculated, then they refigure their obc, etc.

I booked within the last month with perhaps the largest on-line dot com site (not big box) at a group rate (significantly better than the then current pricing out there). After the $250 D+ discount we were below the threshold for free grats, but got almost that much as grats would be (not quite) in OBC plus specialty meal for 2 in addition to the D+ discount and the group rate.

Separate comment: Until this newly announced change I have been able to use C&A Balcony discount with GGG rates, so claims that GGG rates are better than GGG with Balcony discount is bogus (I could use other words:mad:).

Thom

It's on the right side, scroll down a bit, click on 'visitor posts'. Then you have to keep scrolling down to read all of the posts.

I can't find it either. Is it the main Royal Caribbean International page or the Crown and Anchor page? Thanks

Personally, I think you can write to whomever you want and complain as much as you want, but until they see reduction in bookings and a drop in their bottom line, nothing will change. Until people start cancelling cruises and site this as reason for the cancellation, you can expect to see more reductions in perks. Money talks, BS walks.

I can't find it either. Is it the main Royal Caribbean International page or the Crown and Anchor page? Thanks

main page. I had to look hard for the 'visitor posts' even though I knew it was there. A new window will open up. Then you have to scroll down to see the posts about the discount removal. If you see 'carnival cruise line' you went too far.

Edited by marci22

Bob,

Thanks, not really a great selection of cruises. The rep stated these cruise promotion was better than the balcony discount. What a cheap and demeaning way of justifying their change to loyalty amenity.

I can not blame the rep, they were scrambling for answers the past few days. That is why the complaint website was brought on stream and why I posted the link.

Gees, I hate being treated like an idiot.

It's also total nonsense, because until September 1, you could book on the GGG sale and still get your balcony discount.

They are so full of "bologna" it's not funny! :eek:

Well and truly sucks.

The idea that inside of 6 months, you lose the balcony discount in favor of some current promotion is just a way to shift the blame. And it was one thing to reduce the balcony credit if you repriced inside of 6 months, but to take it away all together puts everyone in the position of basically being stuck with your price, since the reduction would have to be substantial to lose the $225 or $250 discount (at the D and D+ levels).

Because my mom is D+, the OBC offered with many of the "sales" has never matched the discount, so we always take the discount. By removing the discount at 6 months and forcing people into the current promotion, they manage to save quite a bit, since the OBC offered must be used on board, and they are basically getting their own money back, rather than getting less when we reduce the price.

As for working people making plans in advance, that goes both ways. I still work, have kids in school. So I often book well in advance because of the need to book during peak out of school windows. However, I can only put in for vacation from work within the same quarter. And there are times that I'm not sure I can go due to a work commitment, and want the option of booking closer in, but the loss of the discount will now lead me to (a) booking OV or lower if inside 6 months, or (b) looking at other lines.

My kids are flowrider junkies, so if I cruise with them, then Royal is really the only game in town. But with older one heading to college and younger one with his father every other year, I have windows that I can explore other lines. While I know that the grass is rarely greener on the other side, perhaps the angst a loyal cruiser on another line is experiencing might not cause me any pain.

When I get home, I'll link to the various places and definitely voice my displeasure.

I provided my feedback to Michael Bayley's email address and through the online form. Next stop social media.. Thanks to PH8 for raising this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by seabeew

It's also total nonsense, because until September 1, you could book on the GGG sale and still get your balcony discount.

They are so full of "bologna" it's not funny! :eek:

I just booked on the Tuesday special this week and got my D+ balcony discount in conjunction with the last minute pricing for a September sailing. We've been booking years in advance forever and now that we can actually take advantage of last minute cruises we are going to lose our D+ discount :mad:

Edited by RosieRoo

I don't always book more than 6 months out, but when I do, I watch for price drops before final. I got a good one recently, on 2 categories, at 3 1/2 months out. I wonder if they will take away the balcony discount you had if you want a price adjustment at < 6 months.

I was told today yes you will lose it unless you are upgrading

This is very interesting information and I have been reading all comments.

I sail exclusively Royal and do not plan to change. I have sailed Celebrity many times, Princess only once and never went back.

It is Royal's right to change their program any time at all. I still believe that cruising is the best value. I pick and choose whatever category works in my budget...from inside to balcony.

And I cruise solo paying the dreaded single supplement.

If anyone is not happy, they have many options.

I personally, couldn't be happier.

Allaboutsailingrc,

You are absolutely correct their program, their rules.

There is nothing wrong telling a corporation you do not like a policy change. Yes, there are other options, but removing this option was great disappointment and poor treatment of long term loyal customers.

What really infuriated my is how the notification was sent out to travel agents attached to "Customer Appreciation Week" flyer announcing the removal of the benefit. Then having Crown and Anchor reps telling us that the promotions for cruises booked after the start date will be better or equal to the removed benefit. Absolutely no true at today's booking standard.

Then respond to other postings on social media stating it was due to feedback about combinability issues, and our guest benefit more from taking advantage of in-market promotions when reserving close in sailings. When I spoke to Diamond Plus rep yesterday she admitted that balcony/suite discount was the best offer, but that will be gone soon. No other reason offered except corporate decision.

It would have been better to be truthful saying we decided to remove the benefit with no smoke and mirrors attached. It still would have upset long term cruisers, but would have more palatable then the excuses being offered.

Edited by ltjn

Allaboutsailingrc,

You are absolutely correct their program, their rules.

There is nothing wrong telling a corporation you do not like a policy change. Yes, there are other options, but removing this option was great disappointment and poor treatment of long term loyal customers.

What really infuriated my is how the notification was sent out to travel agents attached to "Customer Appreciation Week" flyer announcing the removal of the benefit. Then having Crown and Anchor reps telling us that the promotions for cruises booked after the start date will be better or equal to the removed benefit. Absolutely no true at today's booking standard.

Then respond to other postings on social media stating it was due to feedback about combinability issues, and our guest benefit more from taking advantage of in-market promotions when reserving close in sailings. When I spoke to Diamond Plus rep yesterday she admitted that balcony/suite discount was the best offer, but that will be gone soon. No their reason offered except corporate decision.

It would have been better to be truthful saying we decided to remove the benefit with no smoke and mirrors attached. It still would have upset long term cruisers, but would have more palatable then the excuses being offered.

Again, you expressed my feelings very well. I'll have to buy you a drink if we ever meet on an RCI cruise (which may be more and more unlikely). :eek: Honesty is always the best policy. I would so much rather get bad news (your flight is canceled) than to get the rolling 30-minute delay excuse, with the end result usually being the same.

Edited by travelgoddess1

Again, you expressed my feelings very well. I'll have to buy you a drink if we ever meet on an RCI cruise (which may be more and more unlikely). :eek: Honesty is always the best policy. I would so much rather get bad news (your flight is canceled) than to get the rolling 30-minute delay excuse, with the end result usually being the same.

And not like they gave much notice....:rolleyes:

travelgoddess1,

It is a shame how corporations treat customers today. I have read many of your posts and looked at your past listing of your cruises. One begins to wonder how the rest of us will be treated in the future if a group of loyal cruisers, such as Pinnacle Club members (started by Ricahrd Fain and promoted by him) are starting to be treated poorly. Another Pinnacle member we met recently is posting on Royal's social media site how poorly she has been treated on a past cruise and this how this change will negatively impact her.

What is in store for the rest of us as Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald and Platinum Crown and Anchor members?

I doubt it. People get upset when things change. I don't know if trying to sugar-coat it helps a whole lot, but I don't think it really hurts, either. If you want to be upset, you'll be upset.

This is very interesting information and I have been reading all comments.

I sail exclusively Royal and do not plan to change. I have sailed Celebrity many times, Princess only once and never went back.

It is Royal's right to change their program any time at all. I still believe that cruising is the best value. I pick and choose whatever category works in my budget...from inside to balcony.

And I cruise solo paying the dreaded single supplement.

If anyone is not happy, they have many options.

I personally, couldn't be happier.

Well,you're in the minority,but that's ok.......everyone can have their own opinions.

At least,when you cruise solo,you get a 150% rate,right? Not as dreaded as 200%;)