No more balcony/suite discount within 6 months(as of Sept 1,2016)

PH8

People keep mentioning that a lot of regular cruisers book before the 6 month time period so it doesn't matter. It does matter because if you request a price change within that 6 month period (when a lot of price drops may occur) you will lose your balcony discount if you reprice (according to what is being said).

So it affects more than people who book with less than 6 months until sailing.

It really affects anyone who is eligible for a balcony discount due to C&A level.

True, but it could also be that most folks don't seek out price drops. ;)

People keep mentioning that a lot of regular cruisers book before the 6 month time period so it doesn't matter. It does matter because if you request a price change within that 6 month period (when a lot of price drops may occur) you will lose your balcony discount if you reprice (according to what is being said).

It really affects anyone who is eligible for a balcony discount due to C&A level.

The flyer says you keep the discount if you originally booked more than 6 months in advance:

5. If a booking is made six months or more from departure, but decides to upgrade their stateroom

category within six months, will the Balcony & Suite discount be applied?

Yes, the Balcony & Suite discount will still be honored if an upgrade occurs within six months.

Just curious - will this cause anyone posting here to cruise either:

1. Less often

2. In inside or outside cabins

3. With other lines

If the answer is no, Royal has no reason to change this back...

It won't cause us to cruise less often --- but it will encourage us, when we are looking for a cruise within 6 months, to LOOK at other cruise lines, and if we find something that suits us better go with it.

Most times we book further than 6 months out, but not always. In a few years, we won't have to worry about 'vacation from work schedules' which right now need to be figured out 9-12 months ahead of time many times.

We have sailed in outside cabins on short sailings, but will not consider inside cabins at all.

A business should NEVER encourage their patrons to look to the competition. NEVER -- poor concept by Royal.

Edited by Paulette3028

Great post. THIS is the most telling blow of the policy change. Experienced cruisers are the most likely to understand and work the system and their ability to be flexible and seek out price drops late(ish) has now been diminished.

I have no idea how this affects us in Australia but I still book with TA's in the USA at times so will be watching closely. As a relative newcomer to cruising I placed my eggs in the RCL basket mainly because of their great loyalty program.

I have emailed M Bayley but cant find the correct place on FB to vent my displeasure.

Hello,

I have been talking to my TA having primed him with the discussion on this thread and websites mentioned. He has been in contact with RCCL UK and says:

The offers on the Loyal To You website, although it does not explicitly say so, are for US/Can pax only;

The end of C&A Balcony/Suite discount ending less than 6 months out is only 'under consideration' for UK Pax.

The cynic in me says RCCL UK will 'consider' it only until they are told to do it by Miami.:rolleyes:

Regards,

Cublet

All the offer flyers that we occasionally get to see posted here on CC, including the weekly GGG sales flyer, are for North American guests only. The UK is the poor relation in this regard.

Of course, we can book through a US agent and take advantage of these offers if we wish.

But you can rest assured that if there is any erosion of C&A benefits it will happen here as well.

Edited by icsys

Great post. THIS is the most telling blow of the policy change. Experienced cruisers are the most likely to understand and work the system and their ability to be flexible and seek out price drops late(ish) has now been diminished.

I have no idea how this affects us in Australia but I still book with TA's in the USA at times so will be watching closely. As a relative newcomer to cruising I placed my eggs in the RCL basket mainly because of their great loyalty program.

I have emailed M Bayley but cant find the correct place on FB to vent my displeasure.

I just posted this, but maybe you didn't see it. The flyer says:

5. If a booking is made six months or more from departure, but decides to upgrade their stateroom

Yes, the Balcony & Suite discount will still be honored if an upgrade occurs within six months.

Go to Royal Caribbean International page(the one with over 6.3K members.......on the left is a column and one option is POSTS.

Click on that.......then on the right is VISITOR POSTS...

This only works from a computer.....to get there from a phone:

Find the same page.

then just add your input to the WRITE SOMETHING area..

Edited by PH8

Watch what you wish for because you might just get it. Royal can take away the balcony discount at any time. I do believe Royal is the only cruise line that gives a balcony discount so you should be happy with what you get.

I find the comments about newbie cruisers and booking inside cabins snooty as if your money is different from others. So go ahead and cruise with another line; there's nothing wrong with that because we've done it. Talk about being entitled. Different strokes for different folks.

A Loyalty Program can change at any time, no doubt. I don't know if Royal is the only cruise line that gives a balcony discount, but the Royal Loyalty Program is said to be the best in the industry, by cruisers who have cruised on many lines....and NOW Royal is watering down their benefits and cruisers will make other cruising decision.

Your label of other cruisers, who you don't personally know, is rather unfair and not very nice. It has been well known that Royal has been marketing to new cruisers for some time, and gaining that cruiser is important. I could care less what cabin someone sails in as long as they enjoy their cruise for the money they invested in doing it.

My enjoyment comes from a balcony cabin or at the very least a cabin with a window to look out and have sunlight come in through. An inside cabin will never be for me. But others look at their experience differently.

There is a difference between seeking to take advantage of a price drop and seeking to get an upgrade.

I honestly have no idea why this happened, but I received another call from their Executive Office this morning. I spoke with a different person than yesterday. She told me that they have researched and found that 80% of their sales comes from people that book more than six months out. I reminded her that the remaining 20% could be those customers that are retired, possibly long time Diamond+ and Pinnacle cruisers that look for last minute deals and as such you are now telling them that they can pay the same as a first time cruiser.

After a long conversation, when she told me they are looking for ways to make the C & A customer feel they are getting something for the loyalty, I said the best way is to let them have the loyalty discount throughout their booking until sail date and let them get the same price reductions that are being offered to the general public. At least there is now a reason to be a C & A cruiser and a repeat cruiser. They should not be telling C & A cruisers that at some point they may get the privilege of paying the same price as a first time cruiser.

I was told that all my comments will be forwarded to the board. Only time will tell if they are hearing us. Please, if you have not e-mailed, consider doing it. They need to hear our voice.

mbayley@rccl.com

I read this as the customer does an upgrade, a balcony to a JS or even a D8 to a D6. Staying in the same category for a price drop you would lose the balcony discount. According to several that have called C&A you will lose the discount.

It does not specify whether or not this needs to be a paid upgrade or not but I'm sure that C&A will interpret it as a paid upgrade.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Yes, and that is how it will most likely affect us. Thank you for mentioning it. :)

Edited by travelgoddess1

I honestly have no idea why this happened, but I received another call from their Executive Office this morning. I spoke with a different person than yesterday. She told me that they have researched and found that 80% of their sales comes from people that book more than six months out. I reminded her that the remaining 20% could be those customers that are retired, possibly long time Diamond+ and Pinnacle cruisers that look for last minute deals and as such you are now telling them that they can pay the same as a first time cruiser.

After a long conversation, when she told me they are looking for ways to make the C & A customer feel they are getting something for the loyalty, I said the best way is to let them have the loyalty discount throughout their booking until sail date and let them get the same price reductions that are being offered to the general public. At least there is now a reason to be a C & A cruiser and a repeat cruiser. They should not be telling C & A cruisers that at some point they may get the privilege of paying the same price as a first time cruiser.

I was told that all my comments will be forwarded to the board. Only time will tell if they are hearing us. Please, if you have not e-mailed, consider doing it. They need to hear our voice.

mbayley@rccl.com

Another call???? Ok,that's it.....I am writing to Mr Bailey;) right now(since Mr Bayley didn't reply)......and maybe mention how just ONE person on here is getting all the calls,while the rest of us....NOTHING!!:mad:

Edited by PH8

Another call???? Ok,that's it.....I am writing to Mr Bailey;) right now(since Mr Bayley didn't reply)......and maybe mention how just ONE person on here is getting all the calls,while the rest of us....NOTHING!!:mad:

That's it- I'm going to call Mr B. (that's what I call him) direct and have him call you!! This is unacceptable:eek:

Edited by molly361

If I am reading the FAQ correctly if I book an OV cabin more than 6 months ahead of time and then upgrade it to a balcony with less than 6 months to go they will give me the balcony discount?? Is that correct?

Okay so far it's a tie. One rep said yes you would get the balcony discount and one said no that it has to already be on there. Guess I should go for the tiebreaker;)

Okay so far it's a tie. One rep said yes you would get the balcony discount and one said no that it has to already be on there. Guess I should go for the tiebreaker;)

At this time,I doubt the reps even know the right answer....

Ok,get back to your calling......thanks..:p

Not really. I suppose it could potentially affect anyone with a balcony discount, even if they booked more than 6 months out, but I've only ever had one price drop, and it was well before six months until cruise time.

I read this as the customer does an upgrade, a balcony to a JS or even a D8 to a D6.

What about an X GTY rate? Is that an upgrade from any other balcony? Lots of those in the last 6 months before sailing.

Edited by Biker19

I agree!!

Trying to think of a way to ask them politely if they are pulling the answer out of their a$$, or is there some written corporate policy that covers the price drop within 6 months scenario.

mbayley@rccl.com

I would say Royal is not at all sympathetic to the "last minute deal" seekers. And as a business not sure they should be. (And I'm one who does that sometimes, living in south florida). They're not going to be going out of their way to attract, or at the very least make promotional policies, people looking for bargain basement prices, even if they're regular cruisers. Their goal is to get people to book early, at a good price, so they know what inventory they have and make a profit on it. Slashing their prices at the last minute isn't something they're looking to try and promote, and instead try to avoid.

Trying to think of a way to ask them politely if they are pulling the answer out of their a$$, or is there some written corporate policy that covers the price drop within 6 months scenario.

The logical answer is they want people to book early. The secondary one is, most of their new ships are almost ALL balconies. The balcony discount made sense to them when they had many inside, OV cabins on ships. In those times a balcony was a serious upgrade (in experience, but also in cost).

Now everyone gets a balcony, it's about all there is. They're effectively giving a discount to every C&A cruiser, rather then using it to promote people to spend extra for a balcony.

So now it's turning into a tool to promote people to book earlier. Other cruise lines may have their own methods (NCL, for example, gives a bonus loyalty point for cruises booked >9 months in advance).