Saving Chairs

CozGurl

Not so much a question, more of a rant.

Why are people allowed to save chairs on the decks? I can see it if I get there before my fiancé and I save him a seat next to me, but getting there at the crack of dawn to lay your towel down? Seriously? And then you may or may not even show up for hours or at all?

Pft. I've decided that I'm going to plop my butt down and watch the time. If someone shows up in 15-20 minutes I'll be apologetic and move. That seems a reasonable amount of time if you need to run back to the cabin or restroom. After that, I'm not feeling bad at all.

I'm mad as *^%# and I'm not gonna take it anymore! Ok not really, but I thought it was good effect :p

Spend your vacation how you wish....trying to "catch" a chair hog isn't my idea of a good time!

Sure, there are always chairs covered in stuff....but I've always been able to find a place to sit without becoming the "chair police"!

I agree that the ship's staff should be more pro-active, but they are loathe to offend anyone by saying anything...

This is NOT just a "ship thing"...it happens in every resort with a pool!

Edited by cb at sea

You'll find boucoup rants on this very subject. From what I've seen, and read here, pool attendants are more concerned with not upsetting pax rather than pulling towels that have been on loungers for an extended time with nobody's butt in attandance. So rant on!😎

Edited by Treven

This topic has probably been discussed here hundreds of time. Try doing a search on "chair hogs" and you can enjoy reading many, many posts.

Not much left to be said about it. Some people are polite and some are rude and not much you can do about it.

There are some that believe because they paid "X" amount of money, they are entitled to have sole use of a specific lounge chair (or theater seat), and no one else should have it. If I see a lounge chair with a towel on it, and no one has been there for 30 minutes, I think "Hey! Here's an unoccupied chair, and a free towel for me to sell on eBay." ;):D

LOL, love your plan. I guess I have been lucky on my cruises. While I do see lots of loungers saved very early, I have never had any issues finding a lounger I liked. But, I am open to many areas of the ship. I just love being on a ship so I am pretty easy to please when it comes to chilling in a lounger.:):):)

Carnival has a deck steward who walks around putting a preprinted sticker on chaises and chairs with stuff on them but no one there. The sticker says everything will be removed after 40 minutes if you're not back and time put there, and time when stuff will be taken is put on the sticker. Everything is taken to the towel place. You can complain to crew is no one has been on a chaise after the 40 minutes.

On NCL they put a sticker on chaises' but only give the chaise if they see someone looking for one. Then they take stuff off and give new people that chaise.

On Princess we saw two chaises with stuff on them that were there ALL day across from us. No one cared and stuff was left there ALL day. No one ever came to sit or get stuff. Towels are just given out on Princess, you don't have to return any.

I do not want to be around the pool- I move my chaise to face the sun as it moves. I have always been able to find a chaise somewhere on a ship.

I certainly hope you wait long enough for them to get back from the bathroom! Or how about lunch? Carnival waits 40 minutes until things are taken from a chaise or chair.

Once we had our stuff on a table and put two chairs against the table and went to the buffet right there to get lunch. When we came back, only a few minutes later, the chairs were gone! Don't remember what we did to find someplace to eat!

YES, I'd wait and be sure. But your example with the buffet, we do that all the time, cruise and not cruise, but one (or more) of us sits at the table and waits for the others to return. Then goes themselves. Not hard. That way we don't have to take our purses and bags either and no body can take our table.

We are talking about the chairs that sit empty for hours and nobody uses them.

sERIOUSLY?

i'VE SAILED AT LEAST 90+ CRUISES ON 6+c ruise lines and getting sesat has never been a problem for me.

IMO this should be theworst thing to haveto worry about. :ROLLEYES: Ity is a whole lot of nothingabout nothing. :D I NEVER GOT UP WITH With RISe IN ORDER TO geta OUR chairs. not nceessary.

Edited by sail7seas

The problem would be solved if the cruiselines would just offer a $10 OBC bounty for each chair-hog ear turned in to customer service. This is necessary since they don't appear to have any natural predators to control their numbers.

Rudeness is accepted by the cruise lines because they would rather not offend the rude person, who will make a scene, than the large number courteous passengers, who will take the offense in stride. Rude people are accustomed to getting what they want, because many courteous people have been taught to just "suck it up" and have been taught to think wrongly think that assertiveness is rude.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I certainly hope you wait long enough for them to get back from the bathroom! Or how about lunch? Carnival waits 40 minutes until things are taken from a chaise or chair.

Once we had our stuff on a table and put two chairs against the table and went to the buffet right there to get lunch. When we came back, only a few minutes later, the chairs were gone! Don't remember what we did to find someplace to eat!

You went to the buffet for lunch for only a few minutes? Never thought that would be possible or your definition of "a few minutes" is more like 30 or 40 minites.

You went to the buffet for lunch for only a few minutes? Never thought that would be possible or your definition of "a few minutes" is more like 30 or 40 minites.

I think she meant that they went to select what food they wanted from the buffet stations - that only takes a few minutes. The table was in or adjacent to the buffet.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ