Excited! Had to share/ideas?

Hi Everybody,

I'm so excited! I've convinced my sweet mom to come on her first ever cruise! It's actually her first ever holiday and I can't wait. Had to share because my non cruising friends don't get it lol. We've booked the Jewel for the southern Caribbean and I'm wondering if you wonderful people can give me to ideas to make it extra special because I think my mom is the best. I've been sick for almost 30 years and she has been with me every single step of the way. This needs to be the best time of her life :)

Thanks in advance!

I think it's going to be small touches/surprises depending on her interests that will make thing extra special (as well as spending time with you). Pre-order chocolate covered strawberries to be in your stateroom when you get onboard or bring her favorite candy/treat from home. Surprise her with a new book/music, massage, specialty dinner, manicure or thermal suite pass. Budget allowing, pay for the next level of stateroom (outside to balcony, etc.) and not tell her. Unless you enjoy very casual dining, breakfast and lunch in the main dining room will feel more special and pampering. Breakfast (room service) in bed. Ask at guest services for the week's movie schedule and preselect a movie she would like to see in the cinema or on the pool deck.

She sounds like a wonderful mother and she is blessed with a thoughtful and appreciative daughter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maybe get decorations for her cabin. My husband loves them for special occasions. Get her a package for what she likes, soda, water, booze.

There are so many little things you can do. Get her some gifts/gear to take along. I love the little pouches to carry my seapass and a little cash

I surprised my sister with chocolate covered strawberries and a bubbly beverage on our cruise in June. She love it. I thought about room decorations and told her but she liked what I got better. If you are sailing out of San Juan, try to go in a few days early to explore a little. We did that and it made for a very special vacation. It was our first vacation since 2003. [emoji3]

A few years ago, I took my mom on a road trip for a week. I gave her a AAA book & told her to pick a couple of places to see that she hadn't seen yet. It was the best thing I could have done. She picked one place I would not have known about or done but since it was her choice we went & we both really enjoyed it. We also did some shows including a dinner show, music, & 2 outdoor historical drama.

I had double prints made of the pictures I took & put them in an album for her. That album came out every time someone stopped in at her house. She really had a good time, I think, because I involved her in the decision making.

You only have your mother for a limited time so enjoy her while you can. My mom is gone now & I really miss our time together.

Thanks for the further comments...I was thinking about something for the Stateroom ( I booked a Jr suite ), either the decorations or the berries/champagne...maybe I'll just do both!

I have bought her a beach bag and am filling it with all little things that she will need, I can't wait to give it to her!

Thanks again, I am loving your ideas!

Enjoy the cruise with your mom! My mom and I went on a cruise to Alaska together and is one of my fondest cruise memories.

Like others say, ordering a bottle of champagne from gifts and gears so it's in the stateroom chilled and ready for her (and you), some decorations in the cabin. Having a 'formal' picture taken on-board. Tossing in the beach bag you bought some of her favorite tea so she can enjoy a cup in the suite or out on the balcony; maybe even some Rogers or Purdy's truffle chocolates.

I had taken my mom on her first cruise when she turned 80 years young. The thing she liked best was just doing what she wanted, when she wanted. Bingo, sure; no show tonight, OK; take a nap now, perfect.

We did a lot of getting to know each other and taking a lot of pictures. She loved to have a cocktail at 5 (at the same bar every night of course), loved having the same waiter each night and loved to sit on her balcony in the morning and just before bed. Creature of habit :cool:

Plan on doing a lot but be happy with the time you have.

My daughters and I went on a cruise and took my Grandson and a friend (high school grads). Being there were 5 of us, the three of us shared one cabin. We were a bit nervous about getting along in tight quarters for a week but we had THE BEST TIME. We ordered a cheese and fruit plate, the spinach dip and popped open a bottle of wine one night and it was like we were all in a college dorm sitting up giggling with our BEST FRIEND. We lounged out by the pool, had lunch in the MDR on the sea day, went for an afternoon nap one day, sat at the promenade cafe and had one dessert treat too many EVERY night before heading to the cabin and took lots of photos of all of our crazy moments in the cabin, around the ship and in the ports. When we got home, one of my daughters made a Shutterfly book for each of us from the photos and it's a wonderful to look back at that crazy week...so take LOTS of photos. The best ones are the ones you don't get fixed up and pose for. :D

• 5 weeks later...

First, let me say that this is a wonderful, positive post and you are a thoughtful, sweet daughter! I feel the same way about my mom - she's just the best and I love to spoil her.

I took my parents on a cruise for their anniversary last year. We had the same room steward, so each day I would ask him to place a little surprise and note in their room -- candy, a photo in a frame, some beach sandals. I don't think we ever grow out of enjoying little surprises! Also, maybe plan to go to one of the ship's "freestyle" photographers and have some nice portraits taken of the two of you.

Enjoy your cruise; I know you will!

--Heather

Thanks for the further comments...I was thinking about something for the Stateroom ( I booked a Jr suite ), either the decorations or the berries/champagne...maybe I'll just do both!

I have bought her a beach bag and am filling it with all little things that she will need, I can't wait to give it to her!

Thanks again, I am loving your ideas!

I hope you ladies have a great time!!

I can't really add to these great ideas, except!

Before you go have a couple of dinners together, look at the shore excursions, deck plans and etc.

Take a lot of photos and when you return do a hardcover photo book. I have done two of those for prior family vacations and surprise the kids with them. They are both sitting on our coffee table we thumb through them frequently.

I know you'll have a wonderful time! Chocolate covered strawberries are always great, but I also like bringing little decorations to have up at the start. For my friend's birthday, I sent her out some errand and decorated while she was gone. It made the room festive the entire time. On other girls trips I've put together bags of things that may be useful like highlighters, post its, list of fun tips for the ship, bubbles for sail away, even some glow in the sticks for on deck at night if they're having a late night party or BBQ.

I love the idea of little random surprises throughout the week. I love doing that for my friends.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A cruise is such a great experience to share. I know you are having as much fun in the planning as your mom will have on the cruise. :)

A Mimosa in the morning at a table by the windows, on the walking deck or on a private balcony is hard to beat.

Personal photos , taken by you and by the photographers on board are a great memento - I always look forward to getting at least one photo taken by the ship photographers on the dock at a port of call. It's fun, casual, everyone is eager to explore and looking back at the photos always brings good memories.

A message in the cruise compass thanking your mom and commemorating her first cruise would be a special surprise.

Hope you have a fantastic time!