Passport needed in Caribbean

beshears

I have been cruising for years, and until today, reading the "head lines" on CC , it said we did not need a pass port if going to the Caribbean.

This has really thrown me for a loop. I have always heard we needed one to go to the Caribbean. Is this a new rule or what. I have several grown children that do not have a passport, and we were planning on cruising next year, and I told them they NEEDED one.

Please advise if you know?

Per the WHTI, if you take a closed-loop cruise, meaning starts and ends in the same port, you do not need a passport - an official copy of birth certificate with the seal and a photo ID will suffice. However, it is STRONGLY suggested to get a passport. If anything should happen while on the cruise, and you need to fly home for any reason from one of the ports, without a passport there is a LOT of red tape through the US Embassy to get that accomplished. I would just stick with letting them get one.

Technically you do not need a passport to cruise in the Caribbean. A land based trip would require a passport. As an experienced traveler, I would never travel out of the U.S. without a passport. Too many things could happen that might require a passport, like illness or accident. A passport is the gold standard in identification. If anyone had to go back to the U.S before the cruise ended, you would not be able to travel by air without a passport.

Thank you "everyone" for your replies back.

I was just trying to make things a little more easier for my children (save money too) on this. I know I have always "showed" a passport. I was bringing a copy of my birth certificate, but I understand we don't need that now.

Even though we will be sailing from Florida, and back, I guess it is better to have a pass port.

I was just trying to make things a little more easier for my children (save money too) on this. I know I have always "showed" a passport. I was bringing a copy of my birth certificate, but I understand we don't need that now.

Even though we will be sailing from Florida, and back, I guess it is better to have a pass port.

"Better" is a relative term. For most people traveling on a closed loop cruise is very low risk proposition- those that leave on the ship come back with the ship. As long as you are comfortable with the risk using a birth certificate/government issued ID is no problem. If your kids are only doing this cruise and don't have any other plans to travel internationally it may be prudent to forego the passport for them.

You never did need it if you had a passport

Also, it is much easier to carry a passport rather than a BC. I think it makes it a little faster to check in also :)

I have sailed with passport and have sailed with DL/BC and have to say that I never found this statement to be true.

When we sailed Magic out of Galveston in April 2014, we debarked the ship, retrieved our luggage, were asked if we had passports, and were directed to a line when we responded in the affirmative. There were 20 people in the passport customs line and over 300 in the bc only line.

In this case, traveling with our passports, which we always do, made leaving much faster.

I have sailed with passport and have sailed with DL/BC and have to say that I never found this statement to be true.

You clearly have not sailed from Galveston. Last year they scanned our passports before we went thru security. Then they wrote "key" on our boarding pass. After we got thru security and went up to the check-in area, we saw 2 different lines. Someone looked at our boarding pass and directed us to the much, much shorter line. When we got to the front of the line I asked someone what the difference in the 2 lines was. We were in the line for people with passports, all we had to was get our room key. The other line, which was waaaay longer, was for people with BC & DL. He said they had to look closely at each BC and it took so much more time. It would have taken us 4-5 times longer to check in using the BC line. We went thru the line, got our room keys and were on the ship within 15 mins. That was the first time they had that at Galveston (and we have sailed out of Galveston exclusively for about 4-5 cruises) and it was great.

You clearly have not sailed from Galveston. Last year they scanned our passports before we went thru security. Then they wrote "key" on our boarding pass. After we got thru security and went up to the check-in area, we saw 2 different lines. Someone looked at our boarding pass and directed us to the much, much shorter line. When we got to the front of the line I asked someone what the difference in the 2 lines was. We were in the line for people with passports, all we had to was get our room key. The other line, which was waaaay longer, was for people with BC & DL. He said they had to look closely at each BC and it took so much more time. It would have taken us 4-5 times longer to check in using the BC line. We went thru the line, got our room keys and were on the ship within 15 mins. That was the first time they had that at Galveston (and we have sailed out of Galveston exclusively for about 4-5 cruises) and it was great.
Me either. Does not seem this way at most other ports

"Better" is a relative term. For most people traveling on a closed loop cruise is very low risk proposition- those that leave on the ship come back with the ship. As long as you are comfortable with the risk using a birth certificate/government issued ID is no problem. If your kids are only doing this cruise and don't have any other plans to travel internationally it may be prudent to forego the passport for them.

What a blanket statement. Some times unexpected things happen. Like getting so drunk, that you decide to stay in Cozumel for and extra hour or three. Maybe you will get hurt on a zipline tour in Roatan. Maybe you get mugged and robbed in Belize, and have to stay i the hospital.

Any number of things can happen, and then see how hard it is to get back into the US. Not saying you won't get back, but it sure is more of a hassle getting home.

I have observed this in virtually every embarkation port on every cruise line - those with BC and photo ID took much longer to clear security due to the scrutiny required by the agent. Those with passports breezed through.

I have observed this in virtually every embarkation port on every cruise line - those with BC and photo ID took much longer to clear security due to the scrutiny required by the agent. Those with passports breezed through.

Unless your nose is not where it should be you can't know this

I have my passport for what I consider the convenience. But we travel on cruises with people who have just BC and DL and they get on just as easily as we do. That being said I've never worried too much about the extraordinary circumstances but discovered their are advantages to having one that don't involve travel.

After my stroke my wallet was lost. I had to get a new DL and also changed jobs shortly thereafter. The passport worked as the only ID i needed to get my DL. Since I thought my social security card was in my wallet I was concerned I might have issues with my new job but it turns out a passport works for proof of being eligible to work by itself.

The money spent for my passport was well worth it to me.

What a blanket statement. Some times unexpected things happen. Like getting so drunk, that you decide to stay in Cozumel for and extra hour or three. Maybe you will get hurt on a zipline tour in Roatan. Maybe you get mugged and robbed in Belize, and have to stay i the hospital.

Any number of things can happen, and then see how hard it is to get back into the US. Not saying you won't get back, but it sure is more of a hassle getting home.

How many times has that happened to you or anyone in your traveling party?

Exactly how hard is it to get back to the U.S.? What is the procedure?

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

1st cruise: Birth certificates, IDs, backup divorce decree to show name change, TA freaking me out telling me I had to have a notarized document from my absent ex-husband to travel with the kids. STRESS.

2nd cruise: Wasted money on passport cards that aren't worth the money when you consider they're no better than a BC and ID if you need to fly. Still stressed over names not matching, brought divorce papers. STRESS.

3rd cruise: Booked at last minute, paid for an expedited passport because I was tired of STRESS and also ordered a BC in case the passport didn't show up on time because my BC went MIA. STRESS.

4th cruise: Proud owner of a passport book..like a real grown up :D No stress. First time I am cruising and have no worries at all about documentation.

It's $110 for 10 years of no stress. Just do it already.

To me (and only to me) saving a few minutes at check in isn't worth the expense of a passport if it isn't otherwise needed.

The percentage of people that don't make it back with the ship that they leave on is very, very low. Getting drunk? That's in my control and it's one thing that I don't do in a foreign port. I don't zipline or participate in any dangerous activities while ashore. Of course if someone does then they should factor those risks into their thinking. Accidents can happen which is exactly why I have travel insurance, so any delay getting home will be covered (because if I miss the ship it will be for a covered reason). I am comfortable with accepting the risk and any delay that might occur if something does happen.