Automatic Gratuities

I know these have probably changed but when Disney was $12 per day it was allocated toward dining room server ($4), assistant server ($3), head server ($1) and cabin steward ($4).

I can't lay my hand on the exact figures for Celebrity at the moment but they indicated that it covered your Waiter, Assistant Waiter, Dining Room management, and Cabin Steward and assistant, the dollar breakdown was given and only covered the above, no back room boys mentioned.

You're correct about Celebrity, I have the info handy. As far as any back room people, it's just like in a land restaurant where the servers share part of their tips with others that help them that a customer never sees. For instance, a cabin steward wants to make sure he can get all the linens he needs. A laundry person could be helpful or not.;) In the restaurant business it's known as tipping out.

Thanks all, even those who chose to get a little pissy. And actually, yes, we are old school and we do tip in cash, and for what it's worth, very well. Just never liked the idea of tipping before service. And we also go on the many comments we've had over the years from crewmembers who told us they prefer cash. So no, we aren't monsters out to rip off the crew.

We do the same, they seem to like the cash better.................

being British and cruised to many times, i always prepay grats to get it out of the way.

trouble is that we brits do not like tipping and in my local club 2 other couples always remove grats and give nothing.

their response is " its not my problem, wont see them again, i have paid a lot already and the cruise company should pay them a decent wage"

i want cruise lines to include tips in the advertised price so these threads would become obsolete.

staff would be happy as still would be given extra

there is another problem new travelers are not told about them by TA so if a family of 4 are travelling in an inside are expected to pay £280+ a week you can see why they are cancelled.

just a point who is the mug me for pre-paying or the non payers saving money.

j

being British and cruised to many times, i always prepay grats to get it out of the way.

trouble is that we brits do not like tipping and in my local club 2 other couples always remove grats and give nothing.

their response is " its not my problem, wont see them again, i have paid a lot already and the cruise company should pay them a decent wage"

i want cruise lines to include tips in the advertised price so these threads would become obsolete.

staff would be happy as still would be given extra

there is another problem new travelers are not told about them by TA so if a family of 4 are travelling in an inside are expected to pay £280+ a week you can see why they are cancelled.

just a point who is the mug me for pre-paying or the non payers saving money.

j

Former Yorkshire girl here! You are not the mug! You are the person showing class and integrity. We may not like the system, but it is what's in place, and until officially changed I prefer to do the fair, right, or correct thing; whatever you choose to call it.

It really would make things simpler if the cruise companies would just make grats a part of the fare. Do they seriously think people can't do the math and come up with the total cost of their cruise.

I am sure they catch a fair # of new cruisers with the DSC surprise but I expext most are aware of it ahead of time.

I believe it is the 'I am a horrible person' form. Easily obtained from GS.

Not at all. My good friend who is also a cruise agent says the way they are dispersed is ridiculous. Parts of your gratuity may go to childcare service workers and maybe you don't have any kids on board. PLUS who knows if the cruise line actually doles these out or uses it towards their pay?

I bet you giving 10 bucks to your cabin steward is much better for him or her than having it go through the corporate route.

I'm sure employees did much better when gratuities were handed out old school style.

A lot off people here claim that cash tips would have to be pooled too - I seriously doubt that!

Just think about the logistics and the bookkeeping necessary to determine what and if the cash needs to be pooled or not!

Who would and can check all the parameters necessary for thousands of cabins just to find out whether the cash needs to be pooled or not....

So I think a cash tip to the people that give very good service is the way to go!

Edited by germanfflyer

A lot off people here claim that cash tips would have to be pooled too - I seriously doubt that!

Just think about the logistics and the bookkeeping necessary to determine what and if the cash needs to be pooled or not!

Who would and can check all the parameters necessary for thousands of cabins just to find out whether the cash needs to be pooled or not....

So I think a cash tip to the people that give very good service is the way to go!

You can doubt it all you want. The cash tips are pooled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Not at all. My good friend who is also a cruise agent says the way they are dispersed is ridiculous. Parts of your gratuity may go to childcare service workers and maybe you don't have any kids on board. PLUS who knows if the cruise line actually doles these out or uses it towards their pay?

I bet you giving 10 bucks to your cabin steward is much better for him or her than having it go through the corporate route.

I'm sure employees did much better when gratuities were handed out old school style.

based on my first few cruises where the tips were handed out in envelopes on the last night, the folks in the mdr could tell who wasn't tipping because the mdr would be half empty. i'm fairly sure they prefer the way it is done now.

You're correct about Celebrity, I have the info handy. As far as any back room people, it's just like in a land restaurant where the servers share part of their tips with others that help them that a customer never sees. For instance, a cabin steward wants to make sure he can get all the linens he needs. A laundry person could be helpful or not.;) In the restaurant business it's known as tipping out.

Surely then if you remove auto tips and tip cash the same happens.

Surely then if you remove auto tips and tip cash the same happens.

The cash will be pooled. One way or another whether collected by auto gratuities or cash the gratuities will be redistributed. That is one of the reasons I leave the auto tips on. Taking them off and distributing cash is needless work and effort. The only real reason to take them off would be if I was not going to tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I would separate myself from the other 2 couples. The fact that their reason is "we'll never see them again" shows the kind of class they are.That has nothing to do with customs, but lack of gratitude for the hard work the crew puts in.Horay for me and the heck with anyone else.

The cash will be pooled.

I doubt that. Maybe at a particular bar the bartenders there may pool cash tips, but anyone you give cash to during your cruise is allowed to keep it. No one is shaking down the crew after every shift...

If autotips are removed, cash tips must be turned in and the employee is permitted to keep only that which is over and above what they would have gotten from the autotips. They could get in big trouble for not turning in the cash. So much easier to leave the autotips in place and give extra in cash to those whom you deem worthy.

If autotips are removed, cash tips must be turned in and the employee is permitted to keep only that which is over and above what they would have gotten from the autotips. They could get in big trouble for not turning in the cash. So much easier to leave the autotips in place and give extra in cash to those whom you deem worthy.

In all the years I've read this repeated I've yet to see any proof or even a reasonable explanation of how that would be handled. It sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I'm curious how you know this.

I believe that your good friend is incorrect.

Thanks all, even those who chose to get a little pissy. And actually, yes, we are old school and we do tip in cash, and for what it's worth, very well. Just never liked the idea of tipping before service. And we also go on the many comments we've had over the years from crewmembers who told us they prefer cash. So no, we aren't monsters out to rip off the crew.

I agree Chipmeister! It is so annoying that it is automatic and before any service has been provided. I strongly think people work harder if tips have to be "earned" as opposed to automatic.

You can write a note with your children without using cash. :)

Imsaved12 I think involving children is WONDERFUL! They will certainly have a greater understanding by seeing the actual cash going into hands. Much more likely to be remembered by the children than "oh we put the tip on our account." Thank you notes are always in style. I commend you!

I keep reading about how part of the auto gratuities go to people you don't see, but on the lines that give a breakdown of tips (at least those I've boon on that did so) the breakdown is complete with little or nothing going to those you don't see.

From the royal caribbean web page

< Back to Gratuities

Gratuities

Print This Page

Q: How is the automatic daily gratuity shared between members of the staff and crew?

A:

The automatic gratuity is $13.50 USD, or $16.50 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. Here's how it is shared between your onboard service team:

Standard Staterooms:

$6.35 - Dining Services

$3.45 - Stateroom Attendant

$3.70 - Other Hotel Services

Suites:

$6.35 - Dining Services

$6.10 - Suite Attendant

$4.05 - Other Hotel Services

I keep reading about how part of the auto gratuities go to people you don't see, but on the lines that give a breakdown of tips (at least those I've boon on that did so) the breakdown is complete with little or nothing going to those you don't see.

What is Celebrity’s automatic gratuity program?

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

$12.95 per person, per day in standard accommodations ($13.50 for cruises departing on or after July 1, 2016)

$13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms ($14.00 for cruises departing on or after July 1, 2016)

$16.45 per person, per day in suites ($17.00 for cruises departing on or after July 1, 2016)

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience. At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account. An 18% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

... quote.gif

Wasn't there a report in another similar thread that the cruise co. (RCL?) had contacted a passenger by email to confirm the amount of cash tip they paid and to whom?? That would certainly confirm they are accounting for and pooling cash tips, IMHO.

I left my tips alone on my cruise last month but I did not go to the main dining room at all so thought it was weird that the people in the dining rooms got my tips when I never saw them. I had a drink package and I tipped $1 on every drink (I drank a lot) and on the last day tipped $2 on all drinks so not a matter of trying to get out of tips, just would have liked to tip directly to the people who waited on me. I do understand that some people are just trying to avoid the tips though, I love taking care of my bartenders.