What is the USDA grade of beef at Crown Grill

Loreni

While the topic here is steak, we really enjoy the veal chop and sea bass... these are not available in the MDR... so we happily go to the CG. I only wish they had more fish options vs shell fish options on the menu.

I have always enjoyed the food at the Crown Grill but it's no St. Elmo's.

Not sure that the typical cruise demographic could handle the shrimp cocktail sauce from St. Elmo's. The infirmary simply isn't that big! :eek:

Very much enjoyed GG's in Hollywood. Used to go when it was the Goldcoast(bit of a mob joint).

Good to hear. We are going to GG's to kill some time before our departure flight after our November cruise.

I don't care what they call them. The filet mignon in the Crown Grill is superb,better than any steak you can get in the UK and a bargain at the price. Oh, and we use knives to cut it. I think that's what they're for:D:D

That rather depends - try a farmer's market or one or two of the high end offerings in the better supermarkets. We had Duchy Organic sirloins the other night and they were very good. Basically, you get what you pay for. I agree that, for the price, the pay-for restaurant steaks on the ship are a better bang for your buck than many places on land.

I don't know if you could even buy prime aged beef for $29 a pound :)

I have never had a problem with the food at Crown Grill (can't say the same about the service.) We always go at least once each cruise.

Best steak I have ever had was at Gordon Ramsay's in Vegas.

While the topic here is steak, we really enjoy the veal chop and sea bass... these are not available in the MDR... so we happily go to the CG. I only wish they had more fish options vs shell fish options on the menu.

The sea bass in CG was outstanding. The steaks, however were not. My partner found the Veal rather chewy as well.

Really? News to me... :rolleyes:

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Really? They always seem to do a better menu on formal nights, especially the last formal night. I've always found the quality better than standard nights. That's not to say the food wasn't good. It was, but I found Celebrity/Cunard to be better in the MDR & much better(though more expensive)in the specialty rest.

Not sure that the typical cruise demographic could handle the shrimp cocktail sauce from St. Elmo's. The infirmary simply isn't that big! :eek:

Good to hear. We are going to GG's to kill some time before our departure flight after our November cruise.

We went there the night before our Regal cruise. Lot's of Russians that night. Still certainly had that slight mob feel. Being originally from NJ. Makes one feel at home!

I don't know if you could even buy prime aged beef for $29 a pound :)

I have never had a problem with the food at Crown Grill (can't say the same about the service.) We always go at least once each cruise.

Best steak I have ever had was at Gordon Ramsay's in Vegas.

Same here! Boston Chops a month ago came in a real close second. You can buy Prime beef for less than $29/lb. After that you'll have to age it yourself. Not really hard to do. Plenty of info. online. When you do it yourself, remember, the beef will start to look pretty hideous as it ages.

Really? They always seem to do a better menu on formal nights, especially the last formal night. I've always found the quality better than standard nights. That's not to say the food wasn't good. It was, but I found Celebrity/Cunard to be better in the MDR & much better(though more expensive)in the specialty rest.

In the MDRs...yes. But we're discussing beef in the Crown Grill.

Edited by -Lew-

I am from Boston. Next time your in Boston try Abe & Louis or Mortons. Just bring plenty of as we say in Boston CASH!!!LOL :D

p.s. Grill 23 is Excellent too.

Tony

Sorry...but Morton's is WAY overrated...there are steakhouses far superior to Morton's. I would like to try Abe & Louis though since I have not eaten there.

Sorry...but Morton's is WAY overrated...there are steakhouses far superior to Morton's. I would like to try Abe & Louis though since I have not eaten there.

Morton's, like Capital Grill CAN vary a lot! Seems to be how skilled the chef is. I've heard good things about Abe & Louis, but not been there. We did Boston Chops a month ago & it just blew us away. Not had a meal like that since doing Gordon Ramsey's "Steak" in Las Vegas. I like Grill 23 a lot, but never can understand how it wins "best" steakhouse in Boston every year!? We found Strega Strip to be better, but Boston Chops still blew me away!

• 3 weeks later...

To be completely honest, my husband, friends and I have always LOVED eating at the Crown Grill. The two soups (a bisque and an onion soup) have been superb. The appetizers are wonderful and I believe a perfect size for an appetizer. The entree is wonderful (altho I am sensitive to salt and always ask for no salt to be used. I, personally, don't care for the desserts they offer but I look at that as a plus.

I recently went on a cruise to Alaska with a friend and we went to the Crown Grill one evening. Absolutely worse meal ever from start to finish.

I have decided to not let that deter me from returning on my Oct. cruise.

As the buyer(and part owner)of a large food service company, I found the beef to be of "select" and lower quality. Not bad, but certainly NOT "Prime" or even "choice" quality.

After eating twice in Sabatini's and once in Crown Grille, I agree, grade of beef is select.

Morton's, like Capital Grill CAN vary a lot! Seems to be how skilled the chef is. I've heard good things about Abe & Louis, but not been there. We did Boston Chops a month ago & it just blew us away. Not had a meal like that since doing Gordon Ramsey's "Steak" in Las Vegas. I like Grill 23 a lot, but never can understand how it wins "best" steakhouse in Boston every year!? We found Strega Strip to be better, but Boston Chops still blew me away!

We have a Capital Grill by us and actually I found the steak I had was frankly not that good, not for that price. However we saw a play at a theatre next to it and had free valet parking vs. $30.00 for the theatre lot so you could say in a way we got our money's worth. However for the quality of the steak alone it was not up to its cost.

I would rather get a USDA prime and grill it myself.

After eating twice in Sabatini's and once in Crown Grille, I agree, grade of beef is select.

With so many factors effecting beef quality from the time it's graded through the end of the cooking process, I don't understand how anyone can apply a USDA grade to a piece of meat after it's been cooked.

Costco!

Good Lord, yes! Who in the world would pay $29/pound for beef? At that price, they should come to your house and cook it for you :D.

I do love Costco Prime beef! I smoke their prime briskets, and they come out amazing.

--Mark

I ate at the Crown Grill once (on a Baltic cruise), and the ribeye I got was maybe choice, but more likely select. It was also reeeeeeealy thin (like through a deli slicer). I ordered medium-rare, and it did come medium-rare (which was something of a surprise given how many places I've gone where they have no idea what that means). Overall I was very unimpressed, and have not bothered since. My wife committed the sin of ordering filet mignon well done.:eek: Maybe the chef was just so angry that he decided to take it out on me... :rolleyes:

I had a very nice ribeye at the lawn club on a Celebrity cruise I recently took. I can recommend that (but it won't help you here).

I think the bottom line is if you want a good steak, buy it at Costco and slow smoke it yourself (with a 1,000 degree sear at the end).

--Mark

Good Lord, yes! Who in the world would pay $29/pound for beef? At that price, they should come to your house and cook it for you :D.

I do love Costco Prime beef! I smoke their prime briskets, and they come out amazing.

--Mark

I agree, I regularly buy Costco Prime Brisket, full packer, for $2.99 per pound and it is wonderful after being smoked for 20 hours in my smoker. And the burnt ends I get from the point are decadent.

As to Crown Grill, I have also been less than impressed on our recent cruising. I have had the Ribeye and the Filet and can easily grill or smoke a better steak using Choice or Prime meat I can get at Costco.

Going on a cruise to Hawaii in less than a month and may skip the Crown Grill after having only mediocre steaks there before. Have not tried the UBD yet, so we may do that instead and hope the meal and experience is as good as people report.

Doug