Opinions/Informal Poll on Nassau

NECruiser83

Ok, so I am really struggling with what to do in Nassau. It is day 2 of our cruise, and are only in port from.7-2. We will be on the beautiful Harmony of the Seas, a destination all in its own.

I am torn between a doing resort for the day, or just getting off the ship, take a walk around the straw market and going back to the ship and take advantage of most people being on shore.

What do you like to do in Nassau, taking into account our early departure time. Not quite sure the money spent on a resort would be worth it.

This will be my 4th time to Nassau, my son (7) and fiance's first.

Curious to see what other people's thoughts are.

I'd go get some daquiris and conch fritters.:)

I LOVE conch fritters. I was there for a week about 10 years ago, and there was this restaurant we ended up going to almost every day, but of course I can't remember the name! Do you have any specific recommendations?

I LOVE conch fritters. I was there for a week about 10 years ago, and there was this restaurant we ended up going to almost every day, but of course I can't remember the name! Do you have any specific recommendations?

We went to a very good place in the Fish Fry area, but I forget the name. Ellen?

I wouldn't do a hotel or day pass...you just don't have time to make it worthwhile. There are public beaches...you can google that, or just take your time that morning (nothing will be open at 7am!) and have a leisurely breakfast...then just wander the market area near the pier....and the ship's pool is great when most everyone else is gone!

If you like rum, we usually take a walk up to John Watlings distillery, do the tour (which really isn't much of a tour) then hang out in the tasting room and have few drinks. http://www.johnwatlings.com/ there's a map on the site - easy to find, the walk is a little uphill

Also down the street is Graycliff which has a chocolatier and they make cigars. IMO the cigar was much better than the so called Cuban's you get on the island. http://graycliff.com/

OP has been to Nassau 4 times . That is 3 times too many for me .

Stay aboard ,more to do onboard than Nassau .Especially for those crazy hours .

I agree, Nassau is my least favorite port. But this is my fiance's and my son's first cruise, and they are not too excited about staying on board on our first day (day 2 tech, but first full day of the cruise). I am hoping to play by ear and maybe they will be wowed enough by the ship 😆

Looking at a map Goldie's doesn't appear far from the ship. My wife and friends always have to go to the "Straw Market". Is it in the same direction? Is the Straw Market still out doors, or is it in a building now?

I was thinking after they are done shopping, that would be a good place to eat?

Looking at a map Goldie's doesn't appear far from the ship. My wife and friends always have to go to the "Straw Market". Is it in the same direction? Is the Straw Market still out doors, or is it in a building now?

I was thinking after they are done shopping, that would be a good place to eat?

The Fish Fry (and Goldies) are in the same direction as the Straw Market, but you've only gone a small portion of the total distance to the Fish Fry when you get to the Straw Market. I'd say you've got another mile or so to go.

The Straw Market is in a permanent building now. It's lost it's charm as I've not seen any rats running around there in a while.

The Fish Fry (and Goldies) are in the same direction as the Straw Market, but you've only gone a small portion of the total distance to the Fish Fry when you get to the Straw Market. I'd say you've got another mile or so to go.

The Straw Market is in a permanent building now. It's lost it's charm as I've not seen any rats running around there in a while.

Thanks Bob. Which do you think is better, The Fish Fry, or Goldies? I am only going to have 1 shot at getting my wife to try the Conch Fritters!! :)

PS Love the "lost it's charm" comment!!!

Edited by dedosr

Thanks Bob. Which do you think is better, The Fish Fry, or Goldies? I am only going to have 1 shot at getting my wife to try the Conch Fritters!! :)

The Fish Fry is not a single place, it is the name they give to the area where there are a bunch of restaurants, some of which look like shacks. Goldies is one of the restaurants in the Fish Fry area.

The Fish Fry is not a single place, it is the name they give to the area where there are a bunch of restaurants, some of which look like shacks. Goldies is one of the restaurants in the Fish Fry area.

Thank you for explaining that. We will give Goldie's a try. The previous times we were in Nassau, we had more time, but since we will be leaving at 2, the Straw Market and Goldie's will probably be it.

Thank you for explaining that. We will give Goldie's a try. The previous times we were in Nassau, we had more time, but since we will be leaving at 2, the Straw Market and Goldie's will probably be it.

I am not of fan of these early departure times, makes my least favorite stop even less appealing

If you want to save time, you can take the bus. It will cost $1.25 (US or Bahamian) per person, each way. Catch the #10 (not the 10A or 10B) bus in front of McDonalds. Tell the bus driver to stop at the Fish Fry.