No last minute discounts... yah... right.

teecee60

Constellation 15 nights, Vancouver to Tokyo on 2 September... now $699pp. :eek:

Constellation 11 nights, Tokyo to Shanghai on 18 September... now $464pp. :D

Constellation 6 nights Shanghai to Shanghai on 29 September...now $249pp. :cool:

Constellation 4 nights Shanghai to Shanghai on 5 October... now $149pp. :)

What a GREAT itinerary and an absolutely FANTASTIC opportunity for a B2B2B2B! ;)

36 nights on Celebrity for $1,561pp! But of course taxes and tips ARE extra... just like they ALWAYS are.

I sure wish I would have booked these cruises a year ago, I'm absolutely SURE they were less expensive THEN!

It's just too darn bad that Royal and Celebrity are no longer making last minute discounts... :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

Constellation 15 nights, Vancouver to Tokyo on 2 September... now $699pp.

Constellation 11 nights, Tokyo to Shanghai on 18 September... now $464pp.

Constellation 6 nights Shanghai to Shanghai on 29 September...now $249pp.

Constellation 4 nights Shanghai to Shanghai on 5 October... now $149pp.

What a GREAT itinerary and an absolutely FANTASTIC opportunity for a B2B2B2B!

36 nights on Celebrity for $1,561pp! But of course taxes and tips ARE extra... just like they ALWAYS are.

I sure wish I would have booked these cruises a year ago, I'm absolutely SURE they were less expensive THEN!

It's just too darn bad that Royal and Celebrity are no longer making last minute discounts...

Take a look at October 15, 2016 Equinox and explain THOSE prices to me.....and YES it's after final payment dates.......:eek: :eek:

Take a look at October 15, 2016 Equinox and explain THOSE prices to me.....and YES it's after final payment dates.......:eek: :eek:

The price for a balcony room is almost double what we paid for it, and we booked last spring.

What a thread :). When it comes to last minute bargains, one really needs to be flexible. There are plenty of times when a cruise sells well, and last minute prices increase or are not even available. And there are times when it goes the other way....and then there are the truly amazing bargains which are out there for those of us able to get away on short notice. So, for example, a poster mentioned the 10/15 Equinox which certainly does not offer any last minute bargains. On the other hand, the Nov 18 Equinox has excellent bargains on balconies (strange for a Thanksgiving cruise).

Hank

What a thread :). When it comes to last minute bargains, one really needs to be flexible. There are plenty of times when a cruise sells well, and last minute prices increase or are not even available. And there are times when it goes the other way....and then there are the truly amazing bargains which are out there for those of us able to get away on short notice. So, for example, a poster mentioned the 10/15 Equinox which certainly does not offer any last minute bargains. On the other hand, the Nov 18 Equinox has excellent bargains on balconies (strange for a Thanksgiving cruise).

Hank

There has to be a formula to work out what the best time to book is.

I'm sure there is a formula -- and I'm sure that Celebrity paid a lot of money for the development of the algorithm, just as the airlines and hotels have. Supply and demand, number of searches for a particular cruise indicating interest, number of B2B bookings, it has to be far more complicated than anything any particular passenger or travel agent can devise.

I'm sure there is a formula -- and I'm sure that Celebrity paid a lot of money for the development of the algorithm, just as the airlines and hotels have. Supply and demand, number of searches for a particular cruise indicating interest, number of B2B bookings, it has to be far more complicated than anything any particular passenger or travel agent can devise.

This October we are taking our first cruise. It's the repositioning one, on Summit, from NJ to San Juan. We booked the end of this May. The price today is half what we paid.

I just wonder, did this same thing happen last year? Will it happen again next year?

Ok...they have formulas and algorithims and all that high tech stuff.....fact is the inventory on the 10/15 Equinox cruise has not moved at all for weeks and yet the prices stay where they are....there are RS, CS, S1, S2 and all other categories open .....

NO WAY X will let those sit open....so I wonder when that magic computer in the sky will reduce the price....30 day out? 45 days out? 15 days out?

And there is no way I can equate a Med cruise to a Caribbean cruise...ESPECIALLY this year with the Zika virus in the area, all the lines are affected by that.....

Happens all of the time. We are leaving in two weeks on Silhouette for the Western Med. Booked over a year ago for about $5600 for a 1A with friends next door. Prices crept up to about $7200 for the same 1A by final payment. A few weeks after final payment it dropped to about $3600...yes, you did not get the perks we got but....It took some pushing but our TA finally stepped up and got the 4 of us upgraded to A1 with all perks in tact, well almost all perks. TA is paying the grats and said we would have to pay the $25 and change for the extra Aqua grats. So, when you find yourself in this situation, talk to your TA, be firm but be nice. It worked for us. Firm for us meant reminding them of how many trips we have booked with them in the past 5-6 years and noting that because of this mess we had just booked 14 nights from Hong Kong next spring with another TA....

Constellation 6 nights Shanghai to Shanghai on 29 September...now $249pp. :cool:

What a GREAT itinerary and an absolutely FANTASTIC opportunity for a B2B2B2B! ;)

It's just too darn bad that Royal and Celebrity are no longer making last minute discounts... :rolleyes:

Those certainly are great prices if one has a flexible schedule. I do because I am retired.

However, overall, the eXciting deals these days are much less exciting than in the past, with many prices on the deals, more in line with what the usual prices used to be not so long ago. Another thing to consider is that the best prices are for inside rooms. The majority of cruisers will not sail in insides.If they were so popular, the cruise lines would build ships with more insides. They use insides so they can advertise low prices in order to attract people. You are fortunate that you like the inside rooms; after one inside, my wife would rather stay home than get another one. She is probably not alone in her feelings.

You have the wrong ship. Constellation has never sailed from Vancouver. I think you are talking about the Millennium.

Wrong ship == that's the Millennium, not Constellation

You have the wrong ship. Constellation has never sailed from Vancouver. I think you are talking about the Millennium.

YUP! Made the post late last night and didn't catch that until after the edit time expired. :o

BUUTTT... as Hank indicated... if you have the flexibility... there are SOME deals that are incredible! ;)

You can add yet ANOTHER -2B of 7 more days from Shanghai to Tokyo for $349pp! :D

Edited by teecee60

Nice for those who 1)have flexible schedules 2) can go at the last minute and 3) don't care where their stateroom is....

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, we don't fall into any of those categories.....

Nice for those who 1)have flexible schedules 2) can go at the last minute and 3) don't care where their stateroom is....

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, we don't fall into any of those categories.....

We qualify on all three of your requirements. The problem is we don't care for the ports.

We consider a cruise a deal if it goes to some place we want to at a great price.

We qualify on all three of your requirements. The problem is we don't care for the ports.

We consider a cruise a deal if it goes to some place we want to at a great price.

I forgot to list that one.... 4) not caring what the ports are...

for us, we want at least one new port for every cruise.....and that becomes increasingly difficult with X because they rarely change....hoping the new Edge class will have some new itineraries when they debut if the pricing is within reach!!

I don't know how American Airlines came up with their algorithm, but my husband just tells me when the loads are light. :D

Would love to hop on for those if I wasn't teaching!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I used to say that for all the 35 years I was teaching and then when I retired I found out I was too faddy for bargains....I want the room I want, the itinerary I want and the security of having it secured!

We have done one or two more last minute cruises but have then missed out on the pleasures of planning and looking forward to (and also struggled with fights and preferred hotels).

Seriously though, great to see there are some bargains to be had!

We're pretty specific about the itineraries we want and the cabins we want so if we see something that appeals, we book it. In more than 30 cruises, I can remember two times when discounts came along and we were able to either get our cabin discounted or move to a better cabin.

In the worst case scenario, the pricing has remained stable or gone up by a small amount. In one case, the price of an ocean view is $1300 per person more than our Aqua Class Cabin.

Happens all of the time. We are leaving in two weeks on Silhouette for the Western Med. Booked over a year ago for about $5600 for a 1A with friends next door. Prices crept up to about $7200 for the same 1A by final payment. A few weeks after final payment it dropped to about $3600...yes, you did not get the perks we got but....It took some pushing but our TA finally stepped up and got the 4 of us upgraded to A1 with all perks in tact, well almost all perks. TA is paying the grats and said we would have to pay the $25 and change for the extra Aqua grats. So, when you find yourself in this situation, talk to your TA, be firm but be nice. It worked for us. Firm for us meant reminding them of how many trips we have booked with them in the past 5-6 years and noting that because of this mess we had just booked 14 nights from Hong Kong next spring with another TA....

I think we are on the same cruise. We had a A1 cabin. I saw online that they had dropped the Sky Suite price after final payment. Called my TA. In the end I upgraded to a Sky Suite for half the cost it would have been a month ago.

The price for a balcony room is almost double what we paid for it, and we booked last spring.

My experience has always been that the cruise lines follow the rule of supply and demand. If a cruise has sold well and is expected to sell out, or already has, prices of cabins go sky high. I've been on lots of cruises where the prices went way up. If a cruise is not selling well and there are lots of empty cabins they will put them on sale. Sometimes they'll put the category on sale and allow specific cabins to be booked, but often when it is closer to sailing date they'll put the real sale prices out as guarantees and sometimes for a lower category and do upgrades to fill the other cabins. The guarantees give them flexibility to fill whatever cabin is empty and also keeps those who paid higher prices early on from complaining as much.