What is the appeal or value of Johnny Rockets cover charge?

That's what I can't understand, how other lines can serve decent burgers for no fee, but RCI can't, or is it more like they won't so they can entice people to JR's?:rolleyes:

On Explorer, I was able to get a decent burger at the MDR lunch.

The atmosphere is different, but the burger was much better than WJ. As a bonus, you can usually get ice cream for dessert.

We like JR's, for us its a good option on sea days when the weather is meh.....

It's entertaining, the food's good and hot, it passes a pleasant hour or so, and fun if you enter into the spirit of the place.

Makes a change from the plate piling competition in the Windjammer!

We're on vacation what's a few more bucks anyway? It's not compulsory, if you don't see the point and don't want to pay the extra few $$$s - don't go. Simples.

Edited by Sancho_proudfoot

Don't understand your ??? either. You don't have to go.

I didn't go, but was wondering what I missed; what it was in others opinions. That's all, was just asking why it existed. Evidently RCI sees a benefit in having that space, so some folks are paying the charge; otherwise they would shut it down.

Appreciate the info, now I'm better informed for my next trip.

Edited by fliprcruzr

White Castle is my childhood. Down here we have Crystal. Pretty much the same, different mustard. Only place I know that has both is Louisville, KY.

We have both all around the Nashville area. Some places they are across the street from each other, which I think is just silly. LOL But I love those little sliders.

We have both all around the Nashville area. Some places they are across the street from each other, which I think is just silly. LOL But I love those little sliders.

Good to know.

Kind of like Lowe's and Home Depot next to each other or CVS and Walgreens sharing a parking lot

People have odd and unique taste.

We have JR in Orlando. I've never once been impressed on land, so I'm definitely not going on the ship. We used the 2-for-1 shake coupon once and it was ok... we're not huge shake people and it won't hurt my feelings to never do that again.

We have friends from the Midwest that think Bahama Breeze is the single best restaurant in the universe. They associate BB with their trips to Orlando and their honeymoon and their most fun vacations. They don't have BB at home.

They are ABSOLUTELY FLOORED when we tell them the only time we ever go there is when they are in town and insist on us meeting them there.

They rave about BB like it was the 2nd coming. They have the best drinks. They have the best shrimp. Everyone who works there is the most hilarious human that they have ever met. They follow BB on social media. They plan nights around it. Bahama Breeze is their personal party restaurant.

BUT HEY... I bank on hitting Skyline Chili every single time I'm in Ohio, so who am I to talk? To each their own.

Lol - loved Bahama Breeze the first time we tried it in Orlando ... was looking forward to it when we returned to WDW ... however it was just meh ... so there will be no 3rd time ...

Edited by FM

When I first heard there was a JR onboard, I though cool - we used to have a JR here many years ago. But like fliprcruzr, I was surprised to see there is a cover charge. With so many good burger places on land, I think I can handle going burgerless onboard for the week while I try out the oh so many other food options available on a cruise ... :)

We will usually do Johnny Rockets for lunch on the last sea day on a cruise. A lot of folks mention the $6.95 but $6.95 is not going to break us and in the land base of course you are going to pay more than $6.95 for what you get at JR on the ship. We like burgers but not the patties that sit on the buffet line variety in the WJ. They are freshly prepared when you order and they are thick and juicy. After eating all week in the WJ for lunch or whatever other venue we look forward to a nice burger at JR's at the end of the week! :cool:

What's the value for me ????

I live in New Brunswick, Canada......we have no Johnny Rockets here !

We ALWAYS have a lunch at JR :) It's a treat, and as others have stated, the food is freshly made and hot.

Healthy ? nope....greasy?...yep.....am I going to JR on the Oasis in November?? you betcha :D

We will usually do Johnny Rockets for lunch on the last sea day on a cruise. A lot of folks mention the $6.95 but $6.95 is not going to break us and in the land base of course you are going to pay more than $6.95 for what you get at JR on the ship. We like burgers but not the patties that sit on the buffet line variety in the WJ. They are freshly prepared when you order and they are thick and juicy. After eating all week in the WJ for lunch or whatever other venue we look forward to a nice burger at JR's at the end of the week! :cool:

I'm just glad it's not ala carte, like NCL has made Margaritaville. 7.00 for one person is not bad, by any means. It's a drop in the bucket of cruise expenses, so if we want to go, we go. If we don't want to, we don't. I feel like if its as small as I remember, if it was free, would be really hard to get into the venue.

I'm just glad it's not ala carte, like NCL has made Margaritaville. 7.00 for one person is not bad, by any means. It's a drop in the bucket of cruise expenses, so if we want to go, we go. If we don't want to, we don't. I feel like if its as small as I remember, if it was free, would be really hard to get into the venue.

May I use this quote in other posts.

Burt

In my opium, not worth the $.$$, I'm not a fan of greasy over salted food.

'opium' is not worth spending money on. In my opinion stay away from it.

Funny when a tread goes way-off a tangent. :-)

Never been to JR. For now I'll stick to the venues that already over fill me with plenty of food choices but I will try JR one of these days if it still available in the future.

When I first heard there was a JR onboard, I though cool - we used to have a JR here many years ago. But like fliprcruzr, I was surprised to see there is a cover charge. With so many good burger places on land, I think I can handle going burgerless onboard for the week while I try out the oh so many other food options available on a cruise ... :)

I've never been to a land based JR. Can you get out the door with a meal for $7 per person?

Is JR free for breakfast? On what ships do they serve breakfast? What do they have?

Breakfast is only served at JR on Oasis class ships where it is free.

Menu: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Johnny%20Rockets%20Breakfast%20Menu.pdf

Edited by clarea

On Explorer, I was able to get a decent burger at the MDR lunch.

The atmosphere is different, but the burger was much better than WJ. As a bonus, you can usually get ice cream for dessert.

Thanks, I'll remember that next time I'm on a RCI ship.

That's what they say but I'm not buying it. Charging $28 for a group of 4 sounds more profit profit profit than the reason to stop teenagers from hanging out there.

Their reasoning will be more believable if they only charge $6.95 for certain amount of people in a group.

It used to be free.

JR left me scratching my head on my first cruise back in 2001. I just didn't get it! I'm a Texan and Whataburger is our local burger joint. I wouldn't pay $6.95 cover charge to eat their either. Free burger vs $6.95 burger. FREE would win every time!!!

The number 1 Whatameal is $6.05 with tax (in Houston, where the tax rate is 8.25%). That doesn't include the charge to upsize it. Apple pies are extra. There's your $6.95 cover charge. :D

Pretty much any fast food burger joint will run you about $6.95 per person unless you're buying Kid's Meals. So $28 for 4 is in line with what land based restaurants charge.

For those of you that don't understand the question because nobody is forcing you to go or 'holding a gun to your head', then move on to a different thread. Obviously, by the amount of people that are responding, there are quite a few people that don't get the cover charge either.

I don't recall anyone saying they are forced to go there, most people are just wondering WHY people go there, is the food great? Is there some type of show? Is there something we are missing?

The only bitching and moaning was about the WJ burgers.