What is the appeal or value of Johnny Rockets cover charge?

I think it's worth it for the deserts alone. I love the hot apple pie, and also the hot fudge sundae. Their burgers, dogs, grill cheese, and chicken sandwiches are a nice break from the normal food.

It's not just $6.95 per person.

It's $6.95 plus whatever you already paid for that meal in your cruise fare. Like it or not, your free meal is still paid by that.

Yeah and just think how much extra money you have spent over the years when you have eaten out when you have paid for all that food you bought grocery shopping! :eek:

For goodness sakes people, it's no more than one cocktail, or one hand of black jack, one photo, or one of those $10 shirts people fight over on the sale day.

It's comfortable, people wait on you, you get a show, it's fairly quick and the onion rings are awesomeness.

A peaceful respite from the WJ.

Johnny_Rockets_logo.png

Oasis17-300x225.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

Yeah and just think how much extra money you have spent over the years when you have eaten out when you have paid for all that food you bought grocery shopping! :eek:
I don't know about you, but the food I bought at the grocery will still be in the refrigerator tomorrow if I go out to eat. However I don't know of any reasonable way to get that MDR meal I didn't eat transferred to my refrigerator at home. Since apparently you are much smarter than me, I await your solution to having that additional meal of food available..

For goodness sakes people, it's no more than one cocktail, or one hand of black jack, one photo, or one of those $10 shirts people fight over on the sale day.

It's comfortable, people wait on you, you get a show, it's fairly quick and the onion rings are awesomeness.

Johnny_Rockets_logo.png

Oasis17-300x225.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

Besides, if you pay $6.95 for the food, they will wave the coverage charge.

I don't know about you, but the food I bought at the grocery will still be in the refrigerator tomorrow if I go out to eat. However I don't know of any reasonable way to get that MDR meal I didn't eat transferred to my refrigerator at home. Since apparently you are much smarter than me, I await your solution to having that additional meal of food available..

Nope no solution for you! I don't look at the technicality of all of that or if I already paid for the free food on the cruise so that makes my price at JR's more than $6.95. As I said in my earlier post, we like it we go for lunch once per cruise and the $6.95 is not a big deal. We don't care if we are missing out on one of our "Free provided meals"! :cool:

Ask for a doggie bag.

Johnny Rockets is free for breakfast (at least on Oasis).... so there ya go.

Outside of that, if you want to sit and have a burger and fries at Johnny Rockets, then $6.95 is a FRACTION of what it would cost to go to one on land. 4 people, $30, I'd skip it, too. I personally don't like paying extra for food on a cruise, though I did get sushi on my last one.

We don't "love it", but it is a nice change of pace for a lunch one day during a cruise. It's always pretty full in my experience, so I guess they've found a price point where they still stay pretty full, keep all the kids from camping out in there, and help out the bottom line a bit.

We don't think it's great food, but we've eaten lunch there once on every cruise. (Kinda like those who board early to have lunch before sail away) It's a break from the WJ and we enjoy eating outdoors when the weather allows. I figure if we have lunch somewhere while in port it's going to be at least $7 per person, so I don't think it's a big deal. Of course it's usually just the two of us, that adds up quickly with a family.

Johnny_Rockets_logo.png

Oasis17-300x225.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

I don't really have any issues with paying the cost to eat there. The food just wasn't any good. Now if it was a five guys, that'd be a different story.

It's just like anything else. We get drink vouchers but we still get the package. Our meals are paid for yet we still buy specialty dining. What's not worth it to you maybe worth it to others.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't really have any issues with paying the cost to eat there. The food just wasn't any good. Now if it was a five guys, that'd be a different story.

There are four guys standing and one guy sitting. That is five guys.

Besides, what would the ship do about all those peanut shells?

Random thoughts:

When JR's was free, it wasn't crowded, nor was it full of teens all day; thus, the cover charge story is clearly fabricated. It's about money -- and that's fine; after all, RC is a business -- but I didn't like them lying about it. Even if it had been full of teens, hadn't they paid for a cruise ticket? RC doesn't do anything about chair hogs around the pool. Why would they care about over-use of this particular venue?

Are the burgers better? No, but neither are they worse -- they're really on par with the Windjammer in terms of quality. Neither burger is "gray", and neither is really fresh -- you're on a ship; where would they get a burger that hadn't been frozen? What IS different is the venue, which is a change of pace, which is nice since the buffet can become dull after a week.

Yes, you can go in and buy JUST a shake without paying the cover charge. You can. I can't 'cause I'm small and can't afford the calories ... well, can't afford the calories and wear the bikini. Seriously, one shake has like a whole day's calories!

You can also go in and buy JUST a beer (though their selection is limited), and -- compared to the other bars onboard -- it's a slightly larger beer for a slightly lower price. You cannot use your beverage plan to get a free beer, but you can bring in a beer from another bar and drink it with your cover-charged meal.

Used to be you could order JUST a dessert and avoid the cover charge. I think that's changed. Yes, their desserts are better than those in the Windjammer or the MDR, but I think RC's desserts are a bit lackluster; in reality, JR's desserts just look good against the competition.

If you pay the cover charge, you can eat all you (just you, singular you) want in one sitting. If you do "take out", you get one sandwich and the sides. However, if you want to split the "take out" with someone else, you can order a triple burger and ask them to cut it in half ... and it's plenty to share.

Officially they don't accept the ship's soda card, but sometimes they'll give you a free soda with it anyway.

Is it worthwhile? From a purely financial standpoint, no. Given that you can have a similar burger without additional charge, it's not a good value. If you see it as "entertainment" and a change of pace, then that's an individual opinion.

Edited by MrsPete

Puzzled :confused: as the OP's question was "Other than shakes, what benefit is there from paying the cover?" and all I've read is a mixture of the food is no good, people don't want to pay extra, it costs more than the cover charge because you've already paid for free food, you can get better burgers elsewhere (I'm guilty of a response like that, but I had already stated my 'benefit'), it used to be free etc, etc etc.

The OP wanted to understand the benefit, or your perceived benefit from paying the cover charge, not your personal reason for not paying the cover, that's not a benefit, (unless you not paying $6.95 is seen as a benefit by you). They wanted to know what the benefit is of paying $6.95.

Not what it costs on land, not the perceived alternative burger joints on land, not what it costs for a burger in Texas or any other state for that matter. That's immaterial, this is Johnny Rockets on a cruise ship sailing in the ocean.

Boy do you lot divert from the question. :D

Random thoughts:

When JR's was free, it wasn't crowded, nor was it full of teens all day; thus, the cover charge story is clearly fabricated. It's about money -- and that's fine; after all, RC is a business -- but I didn't like them lying about it. Even if it had been full of teens, hadn't they paid for a cruise ticket? RC doesn't do anything about chair hogs around the pool. Why would they care about over-use of this particular venue?

Are the burgers better? No, but neither are they worse -- they're really on par with the Windjammer in terms of quality. Neither burger is "gray", and neither is really fresh -- you're on a ship; where would they get a burger that hadn't been frozen? What IS different is the venue, which is a change of pace, which is nice since the buffet can become dull after a week.

Yes, you can go in and buy JUST a shake without paying the cover charge. You can. I can't 'cause I'm small and can't afford the calories ... well, can't afford the calories and wear the bikini. Seriously, one shake has like a whole day's calories!

You can also go in and buy JUST a beer (though their selection is limited), and -- compared to the other bars onboard -- it's a slightly larger beer for a slightly lower price. You cannot use your beverage plan to get a free beer, but you can bring in a beer from another bar and drink it with your cover-charged meal.

Used to be you could order JUST a dessert and avoid the cover charge. I think that's changed. Yes, their desserts are better than those in the Windjammer or the MDR, but I think RC's desserts are a bit lackluster; in reality, JR's desserts just look good against the competition.

If you pay the cover charge, you can eat all you (just you, singular you) want in one sitting. If you do "take out", you get one sandwich and the sides. However, if you want to split the "take out" with someone else, you can order a triple burger and ask them to cut it in half ... and it's plenty to share.

Officially they don't accept the ship's soda card, but sometimes they'll give you a free soda with it anyway.

Is it worthwhile? From a purely financial standpoint, no. Given that you can have a similar burger without additional charge, it's not a good value. If you see it as "entertainment" and a change of pace, then that's an individual opinion.

stop calorie counting on a cruise, you're making the rest of us look bad! :D

Well even here in the UK we now have Five Guys, one within 3.5 miles of my home, and after my experience there at the equivalent cost of $33 for 2 cheeseburgers and fries, I'd rather pay $13.90 for that and more and onion rings at Johnny Rockets onboard, just my opinion as food quality is subjective. And again, that's my benefit, that and they are far superior than the rubbish passed off as a burger in the WJ.

How anyone can say they are on par in quality with those served in the WJ is deluded. There is no comparison. The WJ burgers are a thin piece of goodness knows what, at least I can recognise ground beef in JR's burgers. I've never seen a burger in the WJ look anything like the one from JR's as shown in post 69 of this thread.

Edited by peteukmcr

Puzzled :confused: as the OP's question was "Other than shakes, what benefit is there from paying the cover?" and all I've read is a mixture of the food is no good, people don't want to pay extra, it costs more than the cover charge because you've already paid for free food, you can get better burgers elsewhere (I'm guilty of a response like that, but I had already stated my 'benefit'), it used to be free etc, etc etc.

The OP wanted to understand the benefit, or your perceived benefit from paying the cover charge, not your personal reason for not paying the cover, that's not a benefit, (unless you not paying $6.95 is seen as a benefit by you). They wanted to know what the benefit is of paying $6.95.

Not what it costs on land, not the perceived alternative burger joints on land, not what it costs for a burger in Texas or any other state for that matter. That's immaterial, this is Johnny Rockets on a cruise ship sailing in the ocean.

Boy do you lot divert from the question. :D

You might want to read it again.

Shakes was just part of his question. It kind of drifted all over the place.

I think it's been answered better than the OP wrote it.

Well even here in the UK we now have Five Guys, one within 3.5 miles of my home, and after my experience there at the equivalent cost of $33 for 2 cheeseburgers and fries, I'd rather pay $13.90 for that and more and onion rings at Johnny Rockets onboard, just my opinion as food quality is subjective. And again, that's my benefit, that and they are far superior than the rubbish passed off as a burger in the WJ. How anyone can say they are on par in quality with those served in the WJ is deluded. There is no comparison. The WJ burgers are a thin piece of goodness knows what, at least I can recognise ground beef in JR's burgers.

Well you are kind of comparing apples to oranges. If both were on board and they both cost the exact same, which one would you choose? that would be a better comparison. And you're right, I'm sure there are some people who really like JR's food. Nothing wrong with that. But my guess if you did a poll of which burgers were better with a lot of the other possible burger places that could be on board instead of Johnny Rockets, I doubt they'd be winning any best burger awards.

You might want to read it again.

Shakes was just part of his question. It kind of drifted all over the place.

I think it's been answered better than the OP wrote it.

I don't need to read it again, that was the question. The sentence started with 'Other' and ended with '?' I can read. Edited by peteukmcr

Well you are kind of comparing apples to oranges. If both were on board and they both cost the exact same, which one would you choose? that would be a better comparison. And you're right, I'm sure there are some people who really like JR's food. Nothing wrong with that. But my guess if you did a poll of which burgers were better with a lot of the other possible burger places that could be on board instead of Johnny Rockets, I doubt they'd be winning any best burger awards.
Oh sorry, I omitted to say that as far as Five Guys quality, presentation, and taste for the price, they were crap. So if they were on board, and yes I am comparing apples and oranges, then I'd pick JR's and you'd obviously pick Five Guys.