Booked Majesty 4/9 Sailing and now I'm scared help?

luv2gonow

Hi,

I discovered the 4/9 sailing coincided with my daughters school vacation.

We were going to Caribbean but with Zika and crazy airfare (Europe few hundred more), decided to extend scope of travel options.

I also discovered this was a brand new ship, so I might have jumped the gun when I booked.

I booked airfare right away because I saw economy comfort selling out and I figured being Easter it might get busy and prices go higher.

So here is the scary part.

HOW OFTEN DO SHIPS NOT SAIL THEIR INAUGURAL SAILING??

There is only a 1 week buffer. And I usually like all the kinks worked out so lil nervous about that now.

Lastly....is the mediterean very rough in April. It was like glass last July, but I'm thinking that trek to Gibraltor might be rough?

Any insights my fellow cruisers?

Thanks

Kerri

Edited by luv2gonow

The last time a Princess ship was delivered late was in 2002, the Coral Princess. She was almost a month late. Since then, construction and scheduling has become far more accurate. I wouldn't worry that the Majestic be delivered late.

As for weather in the Mediterranean, no way to predict this far in advance.

I'd wonder more about what "isn't right" yet. I've seen a number of postings from people who took inaugural voyages and found that some things didn't work or simply weren't ready for use.

Also the Coral Princess was a new class of ship, so that can often lead to delays in delivery. The Majestic Princess is third in this class of ship. This doesn't guarantee that there will be no delays, but it should make it less likely.

And as someone who was booked on one of Coral's cancelled cruises, we received a generous credit ($1000 per cabin IIRC) toward a future cruise as well as Princess saying they would reimburse airline cancellation/change fees (did not affect us so don't know how that worked out)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.... I will be praying for on time delivery and kinks worked out with inaugural sail.

I have never purchase travel insurance and we have been extremely lucky....

With all the travel statistically we are due for a mishap I guess so I will definately Be purchasing insurance.

Why would there be a risk if you book both air/cruise through Princess?

If they don't sail you get your money back.

I didn't purchase through EZ because time and price was better on my own.

There was a big markup for economy comfort.

Thanks

Kerri

Hi,

In 2013, I was on the inaugural sailing (the first cruise with paying passengers) of the Royal Princess from Southampton to Barcelona. Of course, this was the first official cruise of a new class of ship. The ship sailed as scheduled. There were a few minor problems, but the cruise was fine. It was fun cruising aboard a brand new ship.

Also, I booked the inaugural sailing of the Regal Princess for 2014. Because the ship was completed early, Princess actually added two sailings prior to my cruise. Thus, my cruise turned out to be the ship's third cruise. Princess provided me with the option of changing to the new earlier inaugural sailing, but I stayed with my original booking because I preferred the itinerary. This cruise was fine.

Because the Majestic Princess is the third ship in this class, it is less likely there will be a delay.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Diamond Princess was delayed due to a fire but we found out about this in October of 2002. I was booked on the inaugural in May 2003 and the ship didn't have the inaugural until March 2004.

More to the story then that but this happened after the Coral Princess.

You appear to be aware that you are on the second voyage. The Maiden Voyage is a 5 Day cruise departing on April 4th. We are booked on the 4/16 and 4/23 cruises and looking forward to experiencing a new ship. This is the fourth Royal class ship (if you include P&O's Britannia) and the schedule should be pretty well known. Two years ago we were on the Regal about four months after launch.

As I remember [emoji848], there were problems with a major component on the Royal (I don't remember what now [emoji33]) but fortunately that component had already been delivered for the Regal and that part was replaced to keep on schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

Thanks everyone.... I will be praying for on time delivery and kinks worked out with inaugural sail.

I have never purchase travel insurance and we have been extremely lucky....

With all the travel statistically we are due for a mishap I guess so I will definately Be purchasing insurance.

I didn't purchase through EZ because time and price was better on my own.

There was a big markup for economy comfort.

Thanks

Kerri

You can still purchase the trip insurance.

And as someone who was booked on one of Coral's cancelled cruises, we received a generous credit ($1000 per cabin IIRC) toward a future cruise as well as Princess saying they would reimburse airline cancellation/change fees (did not affect us so don't know how that worked out)
I was booked on the originally scheduled third Coral Princess cruise over Christmas. Didn't learn our cruise was canceled until two weeks before sailing. Received $0 credit of any kind. No future credit, no airline fees credit. Just a refund of my final payment. It cost a small fortune to change cruises and re-book new last-minute air for just before Christmas. There was no "We're sorry" or anything else from Princess.
Diamond Princess was delayed due to a fire but we found out about this in October of 2002. I was booked on the inaugural in May 2003 and the ship didn't have the inaugural until March 2004.

More to the story then that but this happened after the Coral Princess.

Yes, this was after the Coral but it was due to extraordinary circumstances (fire) rather than construction delays like that experienced on the Coral and passengers had months of advance notice. Edited by Pam in CA

I was booked on the originally scheduled third Coral Princess cruise over Christmas. Didn't learn our cruise was canceled until two weeks before sailing. Received $0 credit of any kind. No future credit, no airline fees credit. Just a refund of my final payment. It cost a small fortune to change cruises and re-book new last-minute air for just before Christmas. There was no "We're sorry" or anything else from Princess.

Pam, I assume you mean the 12/24/2002 cruise. We were booked on that one. I am going to humbly hope that you are no longer using the travel agent you used for that one as I think you were extremely poorly served by them. The cancellation announcement was on 12/9/2002. We received a letter from Princess via our TA dated 12/10/2002 - I still have it. Highlights: "you will receive a full refund and a $1,000 per cabin combinable future cruise credit which will be applicable on any Princess cruise through March 31, 2004. ... If you purchased your own air tickets and are subject to penalties or incur any other applicable non-refundable penalties, they will be reimbursed." I can only assume that your TA received the letter but never passed it on to you.

We re-booked for the same cruise a year later (12/23/2003). It was very nice although a long wait after being so close.

Yes, this was after the Coral but it was due to extraordinary circumstances (fire) rather than construction delays like that experienced on the Coral and passengers had months of advance notice.

I still had airfare and the "airfare change fee of $50" offered didn't help as I ended up eating the airfare. I was on a B2B and the shifting to the other ship didn't work exactly as the first cruise was a short 4 or 5 night followed by a 7 night. We only got $25 OBC for one cruise if we switched to this other ship on one sailing (no other sailing would it be applied to). Sapphire was subsequently delayed also due to this.

So I was out also on this, even though it was months in advance. It still hurt as I lost money on this and it was going to be my only inaugural and I have yet to go on one. I also had several friends I was going to meet on this one that didn't happen.

Edited by Coral

Pam, I assume you mean the 12/24/2002 cruise. We were booked on that one. I am going to humbly hope that you are no longer using the travel agent you used for that one as I think you were extremely poorly served by them. The cancellation announcement was on 12/9/2002. We received a letter from Princess via our TA dated 12/10/2002 - I still have it. Highlights: "you will receive a full refund and a $1,000 per cabin combinable future cruise credit which will be applicable on any Princess cruise through March 31, 2004. ... If you purchased your own air tickets and are subject to penalties or incur any other applicable non-refundable penalties, they will be reimbursed." I can only assume that your TA received the letter but never passed it on to you.

We re-booked for the same cruise a year later (12/23/2003). It was very nice although a long wait after being so close.

I do remember they compensated people well on this.

Thanks everyone I will be purchasing insurance.

But getting a little superstitious

OK.... I just realized this will be my 13th cruise!!! And one day after i book airfare to Rome they have an earthquake:eek: Next day my moms tenant needs to be kicked out because of a domestic disturbance. (She is banker of trip) So she is nervous now.

Hi,

In 2013, I was on the inaugural sailing (the first cruise with paying passengers) of the Royal Princess from Southampton to Barcelona. Of course, this was the first official cruise of a new class of ship. The ship sailed as scheduled. There were a few minor problems, but the cruise was fine. It was fun cruising aboard a brand new ship.

Also, I booked the inaugural sailing of the Regal Princess for 2014. Because the ship was completed early, Princess actually added two sailings prior to my cruise. Thus, my cruise turned out to be the ship's third cruise. Princess provided me with the option of changing to the new earlier inaugural sailing, but I stayed with my original booking because I preferred the itinerary. This cruise was fine.

Because the Majestic Princess is the third ship in this class, it is less likely there will be a delay.

Chuck

yes hopefully they know this ship well and get it out without any kinks!!

You appear to be aware that you are on the second voyage. The Maiden Voyage is a 5 Day cruise departing on April 4th. We are booked on the 4/16 and 4/23 cruises and looking forward to experiencing a new ship. This is the fourth Royal class ship (if you include P&O's Britannia) and the schedule should be pretty well known. Two years ago we were on the Regal about four months after launch.

As I remember [emoji848], there were problems with a major component on the Royal (I don't remember what now [emoji33]) but fortunately that component had already been delivered for the Regal and that part was replaced to keep on schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes I'm hoping the inaugural sail gets any kinks worked out.

Thanks Kerri

Edited by luv2gonow