Accents

On our Singapore-Sydney Voyager OTS cruise in 2013 we met a lovely couple from just south of Auckland. The lady had a very kiwi accent & introduced herself to us as Biv. I thought that's an unusual name - turned out it was Bev!

Anyway she told us one day their cabin was on Deck 6. We asked her many times, where was their cabin, just so we could hear her say "Deck 6" ;)

I know this is a silly question.....but!:D

I live in western Massachusetts.......no,not Boston or Rhode island (accents)lol

I think most accents are wonderful...........

What I am curious about, is if you speak to me on a ship, do YOU think I have an accent? Meaning you may be from Australia and I am from the USA do I sound like I have an accent to YOU? You always have that wonderful accent to me.

Yep ,I am that cat that curiosity is going to kill! :)

Thanks for indulging my silliness :)

Reader

I'd need to talk to you, but probably.

I am originally from England, from the West Midlands (near Birmingham) to be exact. Not the most pleasant of accent. We moved to Australia when I was 5. My father always sounded like he had a broad Brummy accent to me, even after 20 years. However when he telephoned England they always said "oooo, hark at the Australian".

Accents change very quickly when you move across the UK. My father's brother married a woman from 12 miles away from West Bromwich. All the family used to laugh at Peggy because of her accent!

On our Singapore-Sydney Voyager OTS cruise in 2013 we met a lovely couple from just south of Auckland. The lady had a very kiwi accent & introduced herself to us as Biv. I thought that's an unusual name - turned out it was Bev..

We met a Biv from New Zealand also, but it might have been a different 'Biv'.

Thanks for all the great responses ... Call centers and all !

You made me laugh.

Hey, you have to admit, better thread than smoking, dress codes or tipping ,right!!!

BTW: Hubby is from Puerto Rico, after 37 years I have to ask him to repeat himself at times.His accent is still that strong.....lol

Hi Gut :)

Reader AKA Gail

Edited by Reader0108598

Everybody has an accent.

As to my accent these days - my Aussie friends say I still have a Kiwi accent, and my Kiwi friends say I have developed an Aussie accent. :eek: :D

I grew up in the UK, but I have lived in NZ for 48 years.

My Kiwi friends still say I have an English accent, while my relatives in the UK say I sound like a Kiwi.

0pps thread stealer,was talking about tele-marketers,anyways funny story,now back to your chat.:)

Just went the way Aus Trav went,my bad.

bahahahaha keep to the thread stealing ...how come those who protest the most are those who steal ownership and hijack the most .... I had dealings with Optus call centre this week ..... they lost I won .... I worked for an insurance call centre in a previous life ......know all the right words .... Totally bamboozled their operator ... They had no answer coz no auto prompt on screen ....probably need therapy now :eek::eek:

Back to accents when we lived in London a few years back every day I prayed I didn't sound as crass as the Australian actors on Neighbours did .... I was often mistaken for NZ, South African or New Yorker .... :D

Accents really are fascinating!

Personally I'm from the US, lived in England for a couple years as a child, spent a year in Australia as an exchange student and now I live in Australia permanently but visit family in the US regularly. Everyone everywhere thinks I have an accent! I don't mind it, but it's a strange feeling when you don't really sound like you belong anywhere.

My kids are raised in Australia but pick up certain words and phrases when we're in the US. When they try to have an American accent it doesn't work at all, but they do it accidentally quite regularly!

Accents really are fascinating!

Personally I'm from the US, lived in England for a couple years as a child, spent a year in Australia as an exchange student and now I live in Australia permanently but visit family in the US regularly. Everyone everywhere thinks I have an accent! I don't mind it, but it's a strange feeling when you don't really sound like you belong anywhere.

My kids are raised in Australia but pick up certain words and phrases when we're in the US. When they try to have an American accent it doesn't work at all, but they do it accidentally quite regularly!

I agree ,accents are fascinating:)

Kind of neat that everyone thinks you have an accent ,no matter where you....oh and you BELONG here on CC:)

Coworker refers to my husband as "Ricky" as in Ricky Ricardo. My husbands name is Luis........lol

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Thats true....I lived in NZ when young and came home with a Kiwi accent, moved to South Australia and got a South Aussie accent, which is more "posh" haha, no convicts they say;), when moving back to NSW, everyone thought we were from South Africa!!

People sometimes ask if I am a Kiwi, but when returning to South Australia while travelling a couple of years ago, I began talking like my relatives there.

Get confused with Canadian and US accents, like they do with Kiwis and Aussies .

Same here re the Canadian/US distinction (it can be embarrassing if you guess incorrectly :o). There are a few key words I look for with the NZ accent which help me decide.

Actually, picking up on accents is usually a good way to start a conversation with fellow cruisers.

The most amusing accents I've heard were many years ago when I was building an addition for a Chinese family that had moved to Sydney from Hong Kong.

The owners brother, who lived with them, died, and the two sons of the family arrived for the funeral, one who worked for Larke Hoskins in England, and one who worked for PanAm in the US.

Having become accustomed to hearing Chinese spoken around the house it was quite amusing to also hear Chinese spoken with an English accent and an American accent thrown in to the mix.

The funniest accent I can recall was when we were travelling in the US a lot of years ago. We were in Louisanna or maybe northern Florida and two men near us sounded just like Gomer Pyle from a TV show. (Some of you might be too young to remember that show - not that we watched it.) We didn't think anyone really spoke like that. :D

The funniest accent I can recall was when we were travelling in the US a lot of years ago. We were in Louisanna or maybe northern Florida and two men near us sounded just like Gomer Pyle from a TV show. (Some of you might be too young to remember that show - not that we watched it.) We didn't think anyone really spoke like that. :D

Go-lly!

:D

Same here re the Canadian/US distinction (it can be embarrassing if you guess incorrectly :o). There are a few key words I look for with the NZ accent which help me decide.

Actually, picking up on accents is usually a good way to start a conversation with fellow cruisers.

I don't try to guess the accent or at least I don't verbalise my guess. Instead I say something like, "Do I detect a slight accent?" Even if the accent is as thick as. Most people are then forthcoming and happy to talk about where they are from.

GOLLY!!! Not to young to remember,sad to say! :)

Edited by Reader0108598