Accents

I know this is a silly question.....but!:D

I live in western Massachusetts.......no,not Boston or Rhode island (accents)lol

I think most accents are wonderful...........

What I am curious about, is if you speak to me on a ship, do YOU think I have an accent? Meaning you may be from Australia and I am from the USA do I sound like I have an accent to YOU? You always have that wonderful accent to me.

Yep ,I am that cat that curiosity is going to kill! :)

Thanks for indulging my silliness :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Lol! Of course you do! [emoji4] we can never hear our own accents, thank goodness (cause I'm a kiwi and I think our accent is horrendous!) [emoji15]

I am sure you accent is Wonderful...:D as your post was!

Edited by Reader0108598

Everyone who sounds different from ourselves, has an accent. :)

When we are in the US, or meet Americans, they usually think we are English:D - no, we are Australians. Just because we don't sound like Mick from Crocodile Dundee, doesn't mean we are not Australians. :D

Everyone who sounds different from ourselves, has an accent. :)

When we are in the US, or meet Americans, they usually think we are English:D - no, we are Australians. Just because we don't sound like Mick from Crocodile Dundee, doesn't mean we are not Australians. :D

lol........... and because I do not have a Boston accent does not mean I am not from New England.

The post was meant in jest, but I do love accents, I find them very interesting.

Thank you, Aus Traveller

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I enjoy hearing different accents as well, and trying to pick up where they are from without them telling me. :D

The one thing I do regret is that sometimes I find myself putting on someone else's accent and I don't want to cause offense but it seems to happen automatically, especially if they are having trouble understanding me.:o

I enjoy hearing different accents as well, and trying to pick up where they are from without them telling me. :D

The one thing I do regret is that sometimes I find myself putting on someone else's accent and I don't want to cause offense but it seems to happen automatically, especially if they are having trouble understanding me.:o

I am sure I would understand you! After all I have just spent the last few days on tech support for my cellphone company :rolleyes:

"Hi I am MARY from Uganda"..lol

Reader

Lol! Of course you do! [emoji4] we can never hear our own accents, thank goodness (cause I'm a kiwi and I think our accent is horrendous!) [emoji15]

I am sure you accent is Wonderful...:D as your post was!

Just wait! You'll start a 1000 reply thread! [emoji6] this thing could be going months from now! Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sure I would understand you! After all I have just spent the last few days on tech support for my cellphone company :rolleyes:

"Hi I am MARY from Uganda"..lol

Reader

Wow, we normally get call centres from SE Asia, the sub continent and even Central America.:eek:

Everybody has an accent.

DH was born in Germany but has lived in Australia since he was eight. His accent is definitely Australian except when he is using European words ie French cooking and food terms. Then he has a European accent - probably from hearing his Dad use those terms. It's quite funny.

I actually find it difficult to distinguish between the Aussie and Kiwi accents. As a Kiwi who has lived in Australia for nearly 20 years but with regular trips back to NZ, unless the accent is very pronounced they both sound "right" to me. As to my accent these days - my Aussie friends say I still have a Kiwi accent, and my Kiwi friends say I have developed an Aussie accent. :eek: :D

Wow, we normally get call centres from SE Asia, the sub continent and even Central America.:eek:

Yes. The calls we get from call centres have people who speak with an Indian accent. Then we know it is a scam phone call. Although once, a gentleman with an Indian accent identified himself as from Telstra and it turned out he really was. That was a little bit embarrassing.

Recently I get at least three calls a week from a person with an Indian accent who tries to convince me that I had a car accident and they will help me get money from the government. They explain about Third Party insurance (but they have it wrong) and that 'my' money is sitting there and I can collect it without having any 'medical'. Oh yeah!! When I say I had no injury, they try to convince me that I did, I just don't know it yet!

The minute these people speak - even before they start on their strange spiel - we know it is a scam of some sort. It used to be calls from "the Technical Department of Windows" telling me I had something wrong with my computer. When I refused to click on the link they gave me, they would tell me that my internet and phone would be disconnected because I would not co-operate. Apparently if I did click on the link, they could have taken control of my computer and used it as part of a Net-bot. They could also have accessed our bank account if we used internet banking (which we do not).

Sorry to go on at length on something that is somewhat off-topic. :) We are registered on a 'do not call register' but they still call.

Edited by Aus Traveller

... sometimes I find myself putting on someone else's accent and I don't want to cause offense but it seems to happen automatically, especially if they are having trouble understanding me.:o

Happens to me also! DW asks me why I am I talking like that when I return home:) Happens also on cruiseships!

As Aus Traveller posted "Everyone who sounds different from ourselves, has an accent."

Some years ago we had a business visitor to our Sydney plant from Birmingham, Alabama. I admit his accent was very strong, and I had to focus to be able to understand him. He spoke for several minutes to one of our plant operators. After he moved away the plant guy asked me "what language was that guy speaking?" I replied "English". He shook his head and said "no way, I can speak English & that wasn't what he was talking" :eek:

......and to complicate things even further, within each country you have regional accents.

Thats true....I lived in NZ when young and came home with a Kiwi accent, moved to South Australia and got a South Aussie accent, which is more "posh" haha, no convicts they say;), when moving back to NSW, everyone thought we were from South Africa!!

People sometimes ask if I am a Kiwi, but when returning to South Australia while travelling a couple of years ago, I began talking like my relatives there.

Get confused with Canadian and US accents, like they do with Kiwis and Aussies .

Thats true....I lived in NZ when young and came home with a Kiwi accent, moved to South Australia and got a South Aussie accent, which is more "posh" haha, no convicts they say;), when moving back to NSW, everyone thought we were from South Africa!!

People sometimes ask if I am a Kiwi, but when returning to South Australia while travelling a couple of years ago, I began talking like my relatives there.

Get confused with Canadian and US accents, like they do with Kiwis and Aussies .

I find Canadian accents easy now, eh,:p

We lived in the US for 11 years and if someone told me I had an accent, I would always say, I always speak like this, it's you who have the accent :) I did find that most American's could hear the accent but had not much of an idea whether I was an Aussie, English (which is what I got most), Kiwi or South African.

When travelling around over there we could detect the different accents. Even within 50 miles you could notice a difference. I would say there are 100's of different accents in the US :)

I have some great conversations with call centre people.

On the computer and them on speaker phone,i could chat for hrs,usually after 10 mins you can sense their frustration growing.

After 15/20 mins,im apologising profusely for wasting their time as I get them to re-tell their original SPIEL.

We chat about all sorts of things like/the weather in Mumbai,wether they are having a curry for dinner,cricket,etc,etc.

They seem so nice until I ask for their number so I can call them back,or start misunderstanding and asking them for money.

END of CALL.:eek::eek:

I have some great conversations with call centre people.

On the computer and them on speaker phone,i could chat for hrs,usually after 10 mins you can sense their frustration growing.

After 15/20 mins,im apologising profusely for wasting their time as I get them to re-tell their original SPIEL.

We chat about all sorts of things like/the weather in Mumbai,wether they are having a curry for dinner,cricket,etc,etc.

They seem so nice until I ask for their number so I can call them back,or start misunderstanding and asking them for money.

END of CALL.:eek::eek:

Love it.....we get no calls now as we have no "home phone" just mobiles, but my husband used to ask them if they could hold the line, he would put the phone on the bench.....then go mow the lawn, take the garbage out, watch a bit of TV:p

Haha, the OP will return to find the thread has turned to Call centres and scammers!!

I was actually referring to calling them as in some cruise lines have you going to the Philippines or Guatemala and other businesses have the sub continent call centres. Either way though, they have English as the second language and their accents are as thick as ours (but different) so communication is often strained.

Edited by MicCanberra

I was actually referring to calling them as in some cruise lines have you going to the Philippines or Guatemala and other businesses have the sub continent call centres. Either way though, they have English as the second language and their accents are as thick as ours (but different) so communication is often strained.

0pps thread stealer,was talking about tele-marketers,anyways funny story,now back to your chat.:)

Just went the way Aus Trav went,my bad.

Edited by mrs and mrs