Tipping

friendlyfifer

I know that tips are included with cost of the cruise, however, I do like to tip a few individual crew members. My problem is, how much to tip. What do other cruisers do? Being British, I want to tip for exceptional service. I would expect good service to be received from SS as a matter of course. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

I make a donation to the crew fund instead of going the individual tipping route.

As an aside, I'm not sure there is much 'exceptional' service on SS. Not in my experience at least. The service is generally good to very good, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it exceptional.

That said, it's been a while since I sailed with SS. Perhaps there have been some big improvements lately.:D

We also donate to the crew fund.

The tipping issue is so contentious and right up there with the dress code.

Nevertheless, we always do tip our butler and the room attendant.

We also pay close attention to those crew members who are stellar, and that's pretty much many of them. We mention them by name in our questionnaire and mid cruise questionnaire. It's generally a separate piece of paper with a list of names. I can't fit them in the little space on the computer form.

I have witnessed tips given to crew members such as waitstaff and others.

If you really want to reward a particular individual or individuals then naming them on the cruise questionnaire is just about the most valuable thing you can do. Or go one step further, as we do, and write a letter to the Hotel Director naming those that you feel are particularly praiseworthy. These comments mean a great deal to an individual's prospects within the company.

The crew fund is an excellent choice for spreading the reward and catches those you never see but without whom the cruise would be incomplete or impossible - I'm thinking of the engineers, deckhands, kitchen staff, laundry staff etc who are extremely unlikely to receive any direct gratitude from passengers.

If you really want to reward a particular individual or individuals then naming them on the cruise questionnaire is just about the most valuable thing you can do. Or go one step further, as we do, and write a letter to the Hotel Director naming those that you feel are particularly praiseworthy. These comments mean a great deal to an individual's prospects within the company.

The crew fund is an excellent choice for spreading the reward and catches those you never see but without whom the cruise would be incomplete or impossible - I'm thinking of the engineers, deckhands, kitchen staff, laundry staff etc who are extremely unlikely to receive any direct gratitude from passengers.

Couldn't agree more Sir:cool:

We always make sure anyone that give us great service is recognized via the questionnaire. It the only way for a guest to help in furthering their careers.

Crew fund always gets recognized as this gets to everyone in some way (whether it be for a crew party or for an emergency).

Last time on Explorer we did tip both our waiter and assistant. Had them every night and most breakfast and lunches. There service was EXCEPTIONAL. Best on any line in a long time (like arriving for breakfast and getting some fruit, and finding you juice and double espresso already sitting there -- without asking)...

Edited by PaulMCO

Strongly concur, what a delightful thread to read. Candy--kudos for recognizing the many SS crew that go above & beyond. We use the crew fund, questionnaire, personal notes to HD when warranted, and generally tip our room steward and our butler. Tho, in my SS cruise experience no one recognizes their butler and room steward as generous as Dougburns does--what a truly generous SS cruiser. Oh, forgot we also tip one or two of the SS sommeliers who provide us super wine service & recommendations. Lastly, try my best to profile SS crew members here on cruise critic that have gone above & beyond so their family and friends can learn of their yes (exceptional) service. Often (with their permission) I include this SS crew member profile on Facebook as well--thus, more family/friends can learn of their loved one's professionally delivered Silversea service. If a crew member or Ship leader truly excels, then take the time to send a letter/email to the SS President on return home to also single out top Silversea crew/leader performers.

In sum, tipping is generally thought of in terms of currency, however your generous/heartfelt thank you's while on board are truly appreciated too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

Thanks Wes.

Last cruise just a few weeks ago, DH favorite dessert appeared on his order for dinner. Waitstaff said, I see you are having the chocolate bombe for dessert.

We hadn't said anything about it. Then, there were some apologies that it wasn't given to him on the first night.

That's just a wow factor. There are so many other examples. That's why we come back to silversea.