Mobile Passport App

trbarton

I just saw that there is a new app called Mobile Passport. Here's the details about the app.

The Mobile Passport App by Airside Mobile lets you skip the line at US airports for Custom and Border Protection (CBP). Just fill out your profile and answer CBP’s questions – then go straight to the “Mobile Passport Control” express lane at the airport!

I have downloaded the app & it scans the numbers under your photo and wow all of your passport information and is stored in the app. In certain US cities you can bypass the custom line and go to this "Mobile Passport Control" express lane. They are expanding the cities that can use this but I think it's good especially if it can speed things up. You take a photo of yourself to have on the app.

Tom😎

I've used the app at airport CBP facilities and it works like a charm. The tricky part can be finding the signage directing you to the proper line. You simply submit your entry info to CBP via cellular or Wi-Fi from your smartphone as soon as you land back in the USA. The app generates a QR code that is scanned by the agent along with your passport. It saves you time not having to cue up to an APC or GE kiosk, just go straight to the agent.

Do all the terminals at Port Everglades have the mobile passport control capability, or just certain ones? Are they plainly marked?

Note: Even though the PE press release linked above was dated June 2016, the app only has airport options that I can find. It look as if there's no way to use the app after a cruise...

Edited by Av8tor

I've used the app at airport CBP facilities and it works like a charm. The tricky part can be finding the signage directing you to the proper line. You simply submit your entry info to CBP via cellular or Wi-Fi from your smartphone as soon as you land back in the USA. The app generates a QR code that is scanned by the agent along with your passport. It saves you time not having to cue up to an APC or GE kiosk, just go straight to the agent.

Do all the terminals at Port Everglades have the mobile passport control capability, or just certain ones? Are they plainly marked?

Note: Even though the PE press release linked above was dated June 2016, the app only has airport options that I can find. It look as if there's no way to use the app after a cruise...

I found this website (https://passportinfo.com/cruise-passport-control-app/) that says (in a posting dated July 6, 2016):

This June, they (automated passport kiosks) were made available to passengers disembarking Royal Caribbean’s “Oasis of the Seas” at Cruise Terminal 18. With the Automated Passport Control kiosks successfully in use for this one ship, Port Everglades is now installing them in Cruise Terminal 4, which receives passengers from Carnival Cruise Lines vessels. The kiosks in Cruise Terminal 4 should be operational by early July...

Mobile Passport Control will become available at Port Everglades by the end of July.

I haven't seen anyone mention using either yet at Terminal 4 so maybe the rollout has been delayed.

Yip-pe that's one App I won't need.--- Airports, what were they---. After a life time of flying and the recent years of more and more hassle, we've finished with airports. We are now relaxed into, being so laid back that we taxi to UK cruise terminals, then let the delightful ships staff take care of us. Peace at last. Happy cruising and every blessing.;)

I found this website (https://passportinfo.com/cruise-passport-control-app/) that says (in a posting dated July 6, 2016):

This June, they (automated passport kiosks) were made available to passengers disembarking Royal Caribbean’s “Oasis of the Seas” at Cruise Terminal 18. With the Automated Passport Control kiosks successfully in use for this one ship, Port Everglades is now installing them in Cruise Terminal 4, which receives passengers from Carnival Cruise Lines vessels. The kiosks in Cruise Terminal 4 should be operational by early July...

Mobile Passport Control will become available at Port Everglades by the end of July.

I haven't seen anyone mention using either yet at Terminal 4 so maybe the rollout has been delayed.

I wish they would add this in Miami!

Mobile passport is alive and well at Miami International Airport. Zero lines at all. If you mean Miami port, it will likely depend on how it goes with the tests at Port Everglades....

Thanks - I did mean the port.

We also have Global Entry and that also works at Port Everglades but not POM. :(

I down loaded the app and filled it out really easy. My question is when you go to the tab "trips" it only lists airports and airlines. Where do you find the ports?

That's the rub....For now, the app can only be used at the listed airports. Cruise ports have not been added/activated yet, regardless of what the press releases from Port Everglades have said...

It's free, doesn't require any interviews or cards, and doesn't use any kiosks at the applicable airports and such. Only good for immigration, it doesn't speed customs process.

Interesting. Global Entry required $$$, interviews, pictures and fingerprints to qualify and another picture and fingerprints at the kiosk before seeing the agent. This app, subject to location availability, appears to give all the same benefits without all the hassle. Why does this seem too good to be true?

Interesting. Global Entry required $$$, interviews, pictures and fingerprints to qualify and another picture and fingerprints at the kiosk before seeing the agent. This app, subject to location availability, appears to give all the same benefits without all the hassle. Why does this seem too good to be true?
As I understand the difference, you still need to get in line and go through Immigration, but with a potentially shorter line, and you may need to go through Customs. With GE, after the kiosk you just pick up your bags and go. GE also comes with TSA PreCheck. Coming into Philadelphia from Spain a couple of years ago the problem wasn't Immigration as much as clearing the TSA security line before going to our connecting flight. The wait was well over an hour and people missed their connecting flights. We haven't travelled internationally since getting GE a couple of months ago but the PreCheck saved time at O'Hare a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I understand the difference, you still need to get in line and go through Immigration, but with a potentially shorter line, and you may need to go through Customs. With GE, after the kiosk you just pick up your bags and go. GE also comes with TSA PreCheck. Coming into Philadelphia from Spain a couple of years ago the problem wasn't Immigration as much as clearing the TSA security line before going to our connecting flight. The wait was well over an hour and people missed their connecting flights. We haven't travelled internationally since getting GE a couple of months ago but the PreCheck saved time at O'Hare a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At Miami International Airport, Mobile Passport uses the same line as Global Entry, they do not wait in any immigration lines at all. As for customs, at least currently, and for the last 7 months or so, customs is a walk-through, o agents collecting forms, etc as for most people, it's done via APC, Global Entry or Mobile passport, where your immigration and customs form are one, turned in upstairs at immigration. So, you then head down, pick up luggage and go through the doors to outside. There are still agents downstairs at exit and milling about, dogs, etc but they aren't collecting forms - as no one has them - and there's no lines, etc..

So, essentially, if you frequented an airport covered by Mobile Passport, you could save a decent amount of time on arrival from overseas.. However it doesn't come with TSA pre-check, and it isn't at all airports and sometimes the line is closed..

On my last flight through MIA, a gentleman who disembarked flight with me had Mobile Passport, so we had talked about it on the plane. He used his mobile passport and inured the APC kiosks, and we were hitting baggage claim about 6 minute apart, he got there first. Lines were average for APC so it didn't save an inordinate amount of time, but he was about 2 minutes ahead of those with Global Entry as they had to walk past APC machines to the GE machines, then proceed in...

Long story short, it's a handy tool - and free, so why not, especially if you'll be using any of the airports that have MP...

With GE you pickup a receipt from the kiosk and then still have to see the agent. So no difference there. It appears the mobile app electronic receipt and kiosk receipt are equivalent. Weird that GE requires all the upfront stuff but the free app doesn't.

I forgot the GE also includes pre-check. To get that separately requires it's own $$$, picture, fingerprints and interview. Well-worth it, though.

I wonder if trying to do both would cause a problem. I picture submitting via the app and then going to the kiosk as well in case there isn't an app line available or some similar situation.

Edited by AZJerry

With GE you pickup a receipt from the kiosk and then still have to see the agent. So no difference there. It appears the mobile app electronic receipt and kiosk receipt are equivalent. Weird that GE requires all the upfront stuff but the free app doesn't.

I forgot the GE also includes pre-check. To get that separately requires it's own $$$, picture, fingerprints and interview. Well-worth it, though.

I wonder if trying to do both would cause a problem. I picture submitting via the app and then going to the kiosk as well in case there isn't an app line available or some similar situation.

Not having used GE yet I didn't know what the process was. As far as the picture, fingerprints and interview, I assume that it is for the TSA PreCheck portion and the fact that you are boarding a plane with a slightly different screening process. For Immigration, the Mobile passport and GE just get you to a shorter line.