No access to the Diamond lounge for diamond members

Here's a thought (not sure if a good one or not) that might reduce the number in the DL lounge: how about some sort of discount on the beverage package as an option for D's and up? I don't know what the equivalent to the 3 drinks during happy hour amounts to.....but some sort of discount might reduce the stress on the DL if it encourages more folks to purchase the beverage package. All I know is that we use the DL a lot more when we haven't purchased the beverage package....and a lot less when we have purchased the beverage package. :D

Funny you should mention that. Our onboard cappuccino machine is intermittently broken and limping along for a couple of brews. There are no guarantees.

Hello Karen and Pete! Haven't matched cruises for a long time and hope to see you again soon!

Re the coffee machines, one of our concierge contacts complained that their service record is extremely poor and consequently she stocked extra parts whenever possible.

They apparently are not made for the high volume that we frequent cruisers put them to. Another issue is self service, through ignorance of how to handle the equipment, we are hard on them.... That concierge requested and used staff support at high volume times to operate the machine.

I sympathize with the OP who was hoping to have their premium coffee. So often the assumption is that the loyalty customers are primarily interested in liquor. There are many other parts to the program that make for a lovely cruise. We, all of us, who are upper tier program members plan our cruises around options we expect to be available to us. We budget accordingly. So I have great sympathy with the OP's unhappiness. Consistency is important in maintaining loyalty too.

So the coffee access is important and, so are machines that work when you do have access!

Hello Karen and Pete! Haven't matched cruises for a long time and hope to see you again soon!

Re the coffee machines, one of our concierge contacts complained that their service record is extremely poor and consequently she stocked extra parts whenever possible.

They apparently are not made for the high volume that we frequent cruisers put them to. Another issue is self service, through ignorance of how to handle the equipment, we are hard on them.... That concierge requested and used staff support at high volume times to operate the machine.

I sympathize with the OP who was hoping to have their premium coffee. So often the assumption is that the loyalty customers are primarily interested in liquor. There are many other parts to the program that make for a lovely cruise. We, all of us, who are upper tier program members plan our cruises around options we expect to be available to us. We budget accordingly. So I have great sympathy with the OP's unhappiness. Consistency is important in maintaining loyalty too.

So the coffee access is important and, so are machines that work when you do have access!

How difficult is it to put a cup in place and then press a button?

How difficult is it to put a cup in place and then press a button?

You have to know hot to empty grounds, not hard, but still needs to be done.

I emptied them twice in CL and once in DL this last trip.

Also milk runs out occasionally. I've never seen beans run out.

Freedom CL had the regular beans on the decaffeinated side all that week

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Last week on the Anthem of the Seas there were over nine hundred plus Diamonds members on the ship. The ship used the music lounge as an overflow lounge. Outstanding serve was provided all staff members in the lounge, drinks and food were excellent.

Edited by cruise47

I think that using the machine and servicing the machine are two different issues.

Aww...John!! I love your new Avatar picture!! That was my favorite of the

professional photos you posted! :)

Yeah, I have emptied many...many... full grounds in the CL and DL

also. Just frustrated when I can't find the milk to refill. :(

Aww...John!! I love your new Avatar picture!! That was my favorite of the

professional photos you posted! :)

Yeah, I have emptied many...many... full grounds in the CL and DL

also. Just frustrated when I can't find the milk to refill. :(

Thanks, it was a winner.

Once I found a couple of unopened milk cartons wedged on the top of the milk container. Crisis averted

They are definitely not the right machines for the volume of coffee that gets made in the lounge... My husband found a copy of the users manual online for the concierge on Radiance this Spring when the machine wasn't working for an extended period of time. We were surprised to see that they are only rated to make 140 cups of coffee a day. That may have worked fine 10 years ago, but it's definitely not the machine they should be using with today's volume. The same company makes one that's rated for 600 cups, which still isn't a lot, but would be more reasonable.

Edited by elleluv

Thanks, it was a winner.

Once I found a couple of unopened milk cartons wedged on the top of the milk container. Crisis averted

It is odd...(but not that odd for inconsistency of each different ship I guess ;))

that some of the ships use the UHT shelf stable milk (stores better and easier

to replace) and some bring in fresh milk using those tiny little pints...which makes it

a real pain in the butt for the crew members that have to keep replacing it. :eek:

Edited by island lady

I think that using the machine and servicing the machine are two different issues.

If only the concierge could have someone come by regularly during the day when they are not there, to fill the beans, seen passengers do that, look after the milk and empty the grounds it would help them function better. Seems that is a Tall Order for the ship to do.

I had a Concierge on Jewel want to instruct me on how to empty the grounds. I said no thanks! He said then it will work when it is out of order in the day time. Hence it can get broken with people trying to fix the problems.

You completely stated exactly why I booked a cruise on Royal Caribbean after a number of years. I was looking forward to the Diamond Lounge in the evenings but also the coffee in the mornings. It may not sound like a big deal to some and I certainly won't let it make or break my cruise....but I booked based on the Diamond benefits that were posted on the RCCL website and am a bit disappointed I might not be receiving these.

After reading through this entire thread, though ... this is my take away:

We may or may not still have access to the 'Diamond Lounge' and they may or may not change the location of the bar where Diamond members can get pre-dinner cocktails.

We will definitely get 3 drinks loaded onto our card for each evening, which can be used only during the hours when the Diamond Lounge is in operation and only get the same types of drinks that are served in the Lounge.

We can no longer get specialty coffees in the Diamond Lounge in the mornings if we are only Diamond members. We may or may not be able to get a cup of coffee at their barista station if the coffee machine is not available?

What is this I read about Chops or a specialty dining area for Diamond members a couple of pages back?

I think I am more confused after reading all different explanations of the changing of benefits ... although the above is what I gleaned from those that seemed to speak from recent experiences.

They are definitely not the right machines for the volume of coffee that gets made in the lounge... My husband found a copy of the users manual online for the concierge on Radiance this Spring when the machine wasn't working for an extended period of time. We were surprised to see that they are only rated to make 140 cups of coffee a day. That may have worked fine 10 years ago, but it's definitely not the machine they should be using with today's volume. The same company makes one that's rated for 600 cups, which still isn't a lot, but would be more reasonable.

This is an interesting point. My understanding is the current machines cost $25,000 US each. They are made for self service. The question is, is the higher volume model self service? I suspect not. The use that the lounges put these machines to is unusual. Most organizations that have the volume of clientele that the Diamond lounges do have a barista and a machine made for someone with special training. It's easy to say there should be no issues with a self service machine but folks bang the buttons, press things twice or three times and the logic system can't cope. Equally the volume for filters and so on needs attention which I don't think the staff are trained to or have in their maintenance log requirements. There are 2 components to the complaints in my view: one that there is more to lounge access than liquor and two, that the coffee machines can't cope.

If you want a complaint fixed, it helps to be specific. As a starting point, 3 coupons for liquor is not a full substitute for the Diamond lounge as there are other supports available to lounge access. Back to OP original complaint.

If only the concierge could have someone come by regularly during the day when they are not there, to fill the beans, seen passengers do that, look after the milk and empty the grounds it would help them function better. Seems that is a Tall Order for the ship to do.

I had a Concierge on Jewel want to instruct me on how to empty the grounds. I said no thanks! He said then it will work when it is out of order in the day time. Hence it can get broken with people trying to fix the problems.

Why did you not want to learn how to fix it?

That should be a requirement of Pinnacle, ability to troubleshoot the espresso machine. I mean, don't people always say they look to the Pinnacle members for answers. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa

Okay, off-topic title! I was trying to type "thankful for diamond benefits", but that auto-correct title was too good to erase!

My point: having not long ago moved from emerald status (which got me a bag of cookies and a water bottle,), diamond is the first level I actually feel I'm getting something worthwhile. I enjoy the lounge, but I could live without it if everything else stays the same.

Is there any place else on the ships were one could get a specialty coffee or is it the fact that it is FREE? I know a Starbucks is on many Ships.

You already asked this question in post number 85 and I answered it for you in number 86.

Edited by Ocean Boy

You already asked this question in post number 85 and I answered it for you in number 86.

Almost accurate... this question had a bit more too it....

You answered there was other places to get this specialty coffee..

If this coffee makes or breaks your cruise and the FREE one in the lounge is broke, go BUY one elsewhere...... what is the problem.... 200 posts about coffee unavailable and how to repair and dump the grounds, banging switches and so forth...

Seems a bit silly to me.... I mean if you gotta have that special cup of Java...

Almost accurate... this question had a bit more too it....

You answered there was other places to get this specialty coffee..

If this coffee makes or breaks your cruise and the FREE one in the lounge is broke, go BUY one elsewhere...... what is the problem.... 200 posts about coffee unavailable and how to repair and dump the grounds, banging switches and so forth...

Seems a bit silly to me.... I mean if you gotta have that special cup of Java...

Yeah, and if there is no place to sit in the lounge go sit someplace else.:D:D:D

Edited by Ocean Boy

Is there any place else on the ships were one could get a specialty coffee or is it the fact that it is FREE? I know a Starbucks is on many Ships.

For me, the issue is that in the D lounge/Suite lounge/C lounge the specialty coffee is free. If the cruise line offers a current published perk for loyalty or upper level accommodations, then I expect that perk. Why should any passenger have to pay for a published "free" current perk? If I don't like the free coffee, then I will pay for what I want. (I don't like the free wine, so If I want a glass if wine, I pay for what I want.

M

For me, the issue is that in the D lounge/Suite lounge/C lounge the specialty coffee is free. If the cruise line offers a current published perk for loyalty or upper level accommodations, then I expect that perk. Why should any passenger have to pay for a published "free" current perk? If I don't like the free coffee, then I will pay for what I want. (I don't like the free wine, so If I want a glass if wine, I pay for what I want.

M

There is no guarantee of anything in C & A, Royal can make changes at anytime. Just saying, if the coffee is that important, don't ruin your cruise, just go buy one elsewhere....