Trip Insurance for 80+ age is Very Expensive

ctemkg

Hi. It seems trip insurance is based on age. I often take my 81 yr old mother on cruises. On my many Princess sailings, I just purchase the Princess insurance since I also have a separate annual Medical Evacuation policy. Princess insurance is not that comprehensive, yet it covers the basics and charges a flat percentage regardless of age.

I will be traveling on another cruise line in a while. The fare per person will be around $50,000 each. For me being younger, independent insurance rates are reasonable. Once they add my 81 yr old mother, the rates are astronomical.

Maybe I am just looking at the wrong companies? Anyone know of low cost coverage or insurance that does not use age as a factor?

The important coverages wanted are:

Preexisting conditions

$50-100,000 medical

Thanks.

Please don't take this a cold-hearted response because I understand your concern over this and having traveled with our 80+ relatives many times am familiar with this quandary. But after working 35 years in the insurance industry I can tell you that it is unlikely you will find what you would consider 'reasonable' cost coverage for someone that age. Insurance companies develop pricing based on risk. The honest facts are that the risks for someone that age to get sick or disabled while traveling are substantially higher than they are for someone younger. Therefore, the rates for coverage are going to also be correspondingly higher. That's what it really boils down to. I wish I could tell you differently, but that's how it works. Insurance companies have a choice - price everyone's policy higher (and lose customers to the competition) or price according to age where the risks rise. I don't mean to be patronizing - I hope you don't read it that way. Just trying to explain how the pricing is developed based on my years in the industry.

I looked into buying a yearly travel policy for my Mom, basically they didn't go past age 85 which she has happily reached.

My moms trip insurance was twice my cost for a ten day cruise and my teenage daughter and niece were free to me for being under 18.

So i wish you better luck but the cruise companies own policy might be the best buy available.

So

Hard to imagine why any insurance company would NOT use age as a factor when insuring health and cancellation. If there was such an insurance company...we certainly would not want to own its stock :). The reality for the OP is that age does matter (personally we think we are improving with age)....when it comes to insurance. In some cases the best price is going to be the cruise line's policy...which unfortunately, does not give much medical coverage.

Hank

I know what you mean. For two 20 year olds I got great trip medical and evacuation coverage for $15 pp for the week. When my healthy parents who are both 80 inquired, their cost was in the $400 to $600 range for the week. OMG

• 1 month later...

Just read my Chase Sapphire preferred credit card travel insurance, it has no age restrictions and your covered up to $10,000 per family member even if the card holder is not on the trip! But the trip must be booked on the card holders card. And it does not cover pre existing conditions under active treatment. But that's pretty standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took my parents on cruise last spring and we had major concerns about travel insurance for my Father. Yes, it gets more expensive the more baggage he has but its worth the potential of an accident, medivac, major emergency that could wipe us out. This article helped us on pre-existing conditions & age https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-travel-insurance-guide/

Looks like CSA Travel Protection is the most flexible on pre-existing conditions and time of purchase. We called CSA to get direction. Very helpful customer service.

Insurance costs are based on actuarial calculations. Older folks are more likely to have illnesses. They are more likely to have to cancel trips. They are more likely to die. For this reason, their insurance costs will be higher. That's the way it is.

DON

• 3 weeks later...

Call The Trip Insurance Store and talk to Steve. If there is a policy that will work for you, he will know. Ask about the evac coverage that is included with travel policies. Most have restrictions and you may not be the one making the choice. Look into Medivac for that type of policy

Call The Trip Insurance Store and talk to Steve. If there is a policy that will work for you, he will know. Ask about the evac coverage that is included with travel policies. Most have restrictions and you may not be the one making the choice. Look into Medivac for that type of policy

If someone is interested specifically in medevac choices, you might want to look at MedJetAssist.

This only kicks in once one is admitted to a hospital as an inpatient (not just the ER) more than 150 miles from home.

But once that happens, you can ask to be medevac'd to the hospital of YOUR choice.

What we especially like about this coverage is that there is no arguing with beancounters about whether medevac is "needed", and there is no need to put local medical staff in the awkward position of needing to declare themselves unable to care appropriately for the patient, etc.

As long as the patient is stable enough to travel in an air ambulance from the distant hospital to hospital of choice, they'll take you.

And if it "just" takes a first class commercial flight with a nurse in attendance, they'll do it that way.

(And take spouse/companion along, but in coach I think.)