Excess baggage getting off the ship

Clancampbell

I fully expect and intend to pile on the pounds and increase my waist measurement when I set off on the Epic in 4 weeks time.

They say that you can expect to put on at least a pound a day thanks to over indulgence and I wondered if any of you have any horror stories to report as a result of the endless supply of food and drink offered on board.

Don't be shy 😀

I am normal (?) weight (<125 average, 5'4"), but after just a day of eating salty foods (even if they don't taste salty), and not huge amounts, I see 3 lbs up. The bad news is, it feels like 10 pounds in the middle; the good news is, it stays at 3 and it goes off within a week. I am active using the treadmill for my daily 2 miles, but I also walk a lot as I love it. It all depends on your body chemistry, I'm sure. This is my pattern. So, water weight, not fat, really.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Aside from the sodium mentioned above, you can do that by eating all your meals in the buffet at least 3x a day - snacking in between at O'Sheehan's on on high carbo would help reach your goals.

Otherwise, if you stick mostly to the MDR - you aren't likely to declare "mission accomplished" since NCL does an excellent job on "portion control" per serving - you can defeat it by ordering & eating doubles, complimentary & at no extra charge (unless you do that in specialty dining ... depending on whether you have any dining plan as terms/restrictions do apply, sometimes) A plate loaded with dessert would be your booster.

Now, as for your liquid diet as supplement - that's with your control. Otherwise, we hardly gained any extra weight after our cruises - no horror stories to share. It's your body and health, or lack thereof, if you are happy in binge eating - we've seen quite a few in the buffet, a place we avoid as best as we could. :D

Lots of hotdogs, burgers, cheese & fries, and pizza these days - it's mostly free by staying away from room service - how many can you eat at one sitting.

I have not weighed myself before/after a cruise, but I have never noticed a difference in the way my clothes fit so I'm guessing I've never gained more than 2-3 pounds if any. (I am 110-115 to start with, so even 5 pounds is very noticeable to me!)

I usually put on about 3 lbs, so no real horror stories here. I'm only 5'0 tall so 5 or 6 lbs can put me in the next size. I wear sweats on travel days for the extra room just in case. I have a B2B in October and I think I'll use the gym for the first time! I have two sizes of all of my go to crop pants because my weight fluctuates. Looks like I'll be packing both sizes :p

First, remember that this is a VACATION. Enjoy it. One week isn't going to make or break you either way.

Now that being said, yes, you will probably come back several pounds heavier than before. But understand that this is just as much a product of all that food and drink still making it's way through your system as it is actual weight gain. Think of it this way: If you slam a big 32 ounce glass of water, yes, the scale is going to say you are now 2 pounds heavier. Does that mean you actually gained two pounds? No, of course not. Actual noticeable body fat gain/loss takes months. Weight fluctuations from one day to the next, while they can be discouraging, are virtually meaningless.

Your title has me still thinking about those two girls that got caught with 200 lbs of cocaine in Australia getting off the cruise ship. They said it was in their bag and pictures I've seen only have shown one big bag so that must have been a doozie to carry off unless it was more than one bag which would be my guess.

I lose about a pound a day when cruising. Do more walking and activity and find it very easy to eat my low carb diet of meat/fish, veggies and fruits. I have the occasional desert but not with every meal and I drink alcohol, which I rarely do at home. I try to avoid sugary things wherever I am.

Yes, you will most likely gain a few pounds. Have found that after 3 or 4 days my body has had it with over indulging and usually at the end of the cruise I will have gained about 3 lbs which is gone in a couple of weeks.

Now if I don't do some cutting back well the result will be in my waist line. So I always pack two extra pairs of pants that are 1 size larger. Might sound silly to some, but it's awful when your pants are too tight and you're worried that the worst could happen!

My downfall is always O'Sheehan's Country Breakfast Platter:

2 Eggs

Bacon and Sausage

Baked Beans

Sauteed Mushrooms

Grilled Tomatoes

Hash Browns

Toast

Coffee

and I might order a Bloody Mary or Mimosa

:)

Edited by kcwingwalker

Almost 30 years ago, my husband cruised with his best friend. We treated the friend as he was going through a terrible divorce. The friend is very tall and big - not fat, just broad. Anyway, he put on 15 pounds in 4 days - eating, drinking and just letting loose.

He's happily remarried now and he and his wife have been on many much more luxurious cruises than the one they went on long ago, but he still calls the one with my husband his favorite vacation.

It was a Royal Caribbean cruise.

I was wondering if it was the beer:)

I would have to think that was a big part of it but the guy really isn't much of a drinker.

The only thing I definitely remember is he asked for a second shrimp cocktail. When the waiter asked my husband if he wanted a second one as well, he started to say no, until he got kicked under the table. So...that was 4 shrimp cocktails.

Like I said, it was almost 30 years ago. I remember the numbers but not the details.

DH and I go straight to the gym on every cruise and weigh ourselves as a baseline. We then weigh in every couple of days or so. If more than a couple of pounds creep on, then it's an extra couple of staircases to climb or laps around the promenade deck! We usually walk up and down the stairs; it's faster than waiting for the elevators (especially after a show) and it keeps us in shape. We also make it a point to do some kind of physical activity in port (snorkeling, walking, etc.). Inevitably, we gain a couple of pounds by the end (hard not to), but once we get home and there is no buffet to graze at or chef to prepare our meals, the weight drops back off to normal.

The new thing I discovered on our last cruise (I can't believe it took us 7 to figure this out) was that the MDR will serve "half" or "smaller" portions (I forget what it was called, when I would ask for one, the server would look at me oddly and ask if I meant the other). Since we often order 2 or even 3 of the apps and entrees, that made the difference in food wastage.

We also learned that we didn't have to eat dessert in the same seating (at least in the MDR, not sure how it would work in specialty restaurants - take them to go?). We would eat dinner and then leave for the early show. Once the show let out, we would head back to the MDR and eat dessert. We had time to digest our meal and really enjoy our desserts.

On some cruises we have actually lost weight or stayed the same. We find walking up and down those long hallways so many times during the day, using the stairs instead of the elevator (if we're only going a few decks), walking around the decks at night, and all that trudging around ports and on excursions...well, that's a lot of excercise. When we do 2 weeks on the Gem in November, I'll wear my Fitbit. Then I'll know how much I really walk. p.s. We are oldsters but we try to stay in shape.

This past June I gained 5 pounds in 7 days. I swear I didn't eat that much just more than I would normally eat at home. I know it was all the frozen drinks but hell I was on vacation. I also swell from the sodium in the food. I am happy to say I lost the cruise weight and more. Knowing I might gain a few pounds when I cruise I always try to lose some weight before. It is so much easier to gain weight than lose it. I was on the BA and definitely did a lot of walking.

Just enjoy, maybe take some shorts or pants with elastic waist line so you are comfortable in the event you gain weight.

Didn't the original poster request horror stories of weight gain here? Come on people. We can do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mmm, my intention was that this thread would be a bit light hearted and fun but doesn't seem to have turned out as I had hoped. Seems there are no horror stories or amusing tales to tell and nobody puts on much weight at all. That is until I sail :)

On some cruises we have actually lost weight or stayed the same. We find walking up and down those long hallways so many times during the day, using the stairs instead of the elevator (if we're only going a few decks), walking around the decks at night, and all that trudging around ports and on excursions...well, that's a lot of excercise. When we do 2 weeks on the Gem in November, I'll wear my Fitbit. Then I'll know how much I really walk. p.s. We are oldsters but we try to stay in shape.

Were kind of in the same situation.

Some cruises I gain 2 pounds, and others I've LOST 2.

Were Not big gym people, just walk alot, TRY Not to overeat, and definately Do stairs whenever possible......

I think the gaining has more to do with Wine and Martini tasting events.

No horror story here I guess. :o