Does NCL allow you to bring power strips on board

rye_guy81

You will need to bring your own power strip for Cpap machine but you can contact the

accessdesk@ncl.com and request a gallon of distilled water for your machine for free. They will have it waiting in your stateroom if not just remind your room steward and he/she will bring you one.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes you can bring your own power strips to your rooms, the wall sockets are limited, I believe we had 2 by the television for charging....we just got off the cruise Saturday.....The ship does not provide power strips, so pack accordingly. :)

May consider bringing a triplex outlet plug instead of a power strip - simply plug this into a solo outlet and get three outlets - a power strip is better though giving a mini extension cord.

Caution your cabin steward may need an outlet to plug in a vacuum or other cleaning aid - so beware that your solo outlet may need to be used from time to time unplugging/un-powering your devices.

Also note if your power strip has a CB (Circuit Breaker) this is not the forbidden surge protection strip previously mentioned.

On a humors note if you use too much tricity and blow the lights out in Georgia perhaps just in your cabin or a section of the passageway - one of the ship's electrician maintenance people will have to reset the breakers.

How rude to cause this person to come from 14 decks below from the engine room to flip a switch when your device triggered the outage !

Note NOT on the same scale of offenses i.e. flushing diapers and towels down the toilet - major naughty behavior ! LOL !

Que sera sera !

Edited by don't-use-real-name
  • Like 1

You will need to bring your own power strip for Cpap machine

In my experience with my CPAP on Norwegian Escape, a "power strip" (with a short cord) wouldn't have been sufficient to reach from the outlet at the desk over to the far side of the bed where I slept with my machine. I ended up using two extension cords, one 9' and one 12' and combined they were long enough.

Most non-suite rooms do not have power near the bedside. You will need at least a light weight 12 foot extension cord for most rooms.

Bird, do you know if the Epic has power near the bedside in the Haven, by any chance?

Thanks!

Mallory

• 11 months later...

We did use a surge protector power strip/USB charger on the Escape this summer. However, we had to remember to unplug it each time we left the cabin----as we were instructed to do---or else the stewart would unplug it. One of the perks of the Haven is that you can keep your power on all the time even when you are not in the room, yet you are not supposed to be charging up your stuff if you are not in the cabin.

• Like 1

We did use a surge protector power strip/USB charger on the Escape this summer. However, we had to remember to unplug it each time we left the cabin----as we were instructed to do---or else the stewart would unplug it. One of the perks of the Haven is that you can keep your power on all the time even when you are not in the room, yet you are not supposed to be charging up your stuff if you are not in the cabin.

Please read post #6 and beyond in the following thread...

Power Strips {and why surge protectors shouldn't be used on the ship}

When I sailed on the Pearl out of Seattle last month, the Port Authority almost didn't let me take my power strip with me onto the ship. We had been called back down to identify something in my suitcase and, in the process, they discovered my power strip. It is just a power strip, not a surge protector, but it was still going to be confiscated. After a brief discussion, they let me keep it.

The cabin stewards are instructed to unplug anything they find plugged in if the cabin is unattended.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Lots of folks have been able to take surge protectors onboard. But, it apparently is against the policy and the staff either missed it or did not bother dealing with it. Does not mean anyone should take one.

A simple cheap extension cord with 3 plugs on the end will do the same job.

As to the CPAP comment. I always travel with a simple extension cord. Never know when you might end up in a hotel somehow. Or the ship running out of them.

Wife and I both have CPAPS, never travel any where w/o 2 extension cords. Haven't used the water function for 4 years, never noticed the difference.

Totally agree. I have been on CPAP for 7 years. When we planned our RTW trip last year, carryon was the plan. So, I took off the humidifier at home and it works great. Cut the size in half. Do not even know where it is anymore. Two more cruises with carryon only, and a Vegas trip or two.

(Often used ships water when I did take it with me)

Sailed on the recently refurbished Jade in May. Correct on being able to bring non-surge protected power strips and that they instruct and unplug anything left charging in your room while you are out; phones, tablets or computers. The refurbished Jade did not have power outlets by the bed but the new wall lamps had USB charge ports on both sides of the bed which was very handy for charging phones overnight

You will need to bring your own power strip for Cpap machine

Not strictly true. I have my own extension cable now but on my first two cruises with NCL I asked at Customer Services for an extension cable, which they were happy to supply. A $10 deposit was taken from my account but paid back when I returned the cable.

Totally agree. I have been on CPAP for 7 years. When we planned our RTW trip last year, carryon was the plan. So, I took off the humidifier at home and it works great. Cut the size in half. Do not even know where it is anymore. Two more cruises with carryon only, and a Vegas trip or two.

(Often used ships water when I did take it with me)

We pack both of our machines and extension cords in one cpap bag, Only hassle is at screening at airport.

• 2 weeks later...