LAX flight question

Zeikah

Sorry, Should of added a few more details. Ruby princess docks at 0700 and a domestic flight out to LAS.

Although some may disagree, I wouldn't book anything before noon at the absolute earliest. The reason is threefold:

Delays clearing customs off the ship

The notorious LA traffic ( it will take 30-an hour from the port)

LAX itself (check in and security)

That being said if you have status (ship and or airline) , are doing self assist etc. and have a prearranged transfer you could probably take an hour or so off of my recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

What time would be the earliest that you book a flight out of LAX after disembarking at San Pedro?

Thanks in advance!!

If the ship arrives as scheduled, self disembarkation which is walk off pulling all your own luggage should begin around 7:30. If you place your luggage out the evening before then don't expect to be off the ship before 8am if you are in the first group. These times are assuming a closed loop cruise RT San Pedro.

You will have to allow maybe 1/2 hour to get through Immigration and Customs. If you take a private taxi to the airport the ride is about 30 mins., but if you are arriving during a weekday rush hour the traffic could make the trip longer, maybe an hour. Once at the airport allow two hours to get through security. It could be much shorter, but you can never know for sure. Princess normally has a recommended earliest flight time which normally includes their transfer. If you use a private taxi then you can cut off some from Princess' recommended time.

Noon-1pm

LA traffic has been horrible lately, no matter day of week or time of day.

LAX is another nightmare. Took us 20 minutes to get to the terminals a few weeks ago.

Long Beach Airport (LGB) is a closer, smaller alternative.

Although some may disagree, I wouldn't book anything before noon at the absolute earliest. The reason is threefold:

Delays clearing customs off the ship

The notorious LA traffic ( it will take 30-an hour from the port)

LAX itself (check in and security)

That being said if you have status (ship and or airline) , are doing self assist etc. and have a prearranged transfer you could probably take an hour or so off of my recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree! I had a 11:00 flight on a Monday recently out of LAX after a cruise. I took my own luggage off the ship, I was in the first walk off group, I got a cab right there, and suffered in traffic, then long crazy lines at LAX I barely made it through checking my bags, and getting through security in time to board.

I don't think I would cut it close like that again.

The stress was terrible!!

Long Beach >>> Las Vegas might be better. LGB waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than LAX. It would probably be safe to try for after 11:00. I personally have learned DO NOT count on getting out of a cruise terminal for disembarkation quickly.

Edited by hpeabody

I'll add a wrinkle - which carrier. The LAX airport drive matters. If you're trying to get to United, Delta or Alaska, add time. If you're thinking Southwest, subtract time. If you're on American, Virgin America, Spirit or JetBlue, the variou opinions here are pretty solid.

I've missed a 3:45 flight from LAX despite being Elite, flying F, having US citizenship and PreCheck, from a 7AM on-time Ruby arrival. It. Was. Ugly.

I'll add a wrinkle - which carrier. The LAX airport drive matters. If you're trying to get to United, Delta or Alaska, add time. If you're thinking Southwest, subtract time. If you're on American, Virgin America, Spirit or JetBlue, the variou opinions here are pretty solid.

I've missed a 3:45 flight from LAX despite being Elite, flying F, having US citizenship and PreCheck, from a 7AM on-time Ruby arrival. It. Was. Ugly.

Adding on

If you take a taxi or other non-shared transportation, you could take one of the shortcuts. T1 (Southwest) and T7 (United) are the easiest to get to. T3, TBIT, T4, and T5 are harder to get to. One time it took us 45 minutes from the Lit Pylons to TBIT at the top of the horseshoe.

Thanks everyone for you help!! I'm glad I asked as I was thinking about a 10.00am flight.

I had remembered last time in the US we disembarked off the Allure of the Seas. Self walk off with a 1140 flight and seemed to sit at the airport for a fair while.

Will book a 1.00pm to be sure.

Ask anyone who lives in the LA region and deals with LA traffic even occasionally and they will tell you never book before Noon. Ask anyone who lives elsewhere and they'll say, "No problem. I made xxx flight." Listen to the locals.

Getting to LAX is half the battle. It can take half an hour to just get from the entrance to LAX to your terminal. It's often total gridlock. Particularly in the morning, long lines to go through Security are the norm.

LAX recommends arriving at your terminal two hours before your flight for domestic travel, three hours for an international flight.