HAL Noordam or Norwegian Sun for teenagers

dutchiegirl

I am planning an Alaska cruise for my husband, 15-year old son, and myself. I am torn between HAL Noordam and Norwegian Sun. Leaning towards HAL Noordam because is looks like the balcony cabins are a little larger, but then somebody told me that Norwegian Sun would be better for my teenager. Any thoughts?

Teens usually like activities. I might check to see what activities for teens are on board or what is there to do once sailing. Never sailed HAL (but understand they may have an older demographic) or NCL so I can't advise on the cabins. Good luck & smooth sailing!

HAL's activities are more mentally oriented and NCL's activities are more physically oriented. However, NCL currently has fourteen ships in its fleet and its reputation is built more on the nine ships that entered service in 2005 and later and not so much on the five ships that entered service in 2002 and earlier. The NCL Sun entered service in 2001.

I am not suggesting that the Sun is a bad ship. What I am saying is that you will not find up to the standard of NCL's newest ships. So you need to find out if the people that you are talking to are basing their opinions on the five older ships or the nine newer ships.

HAL is very traditional, and the NCL Noordam, which entered service in 2006 is a very modern ship - for HAL.

All that said, I do believe that most teenagers would prefer NCL over HAL, simply because there are likely to be more teenagers on NCL then on HAL.

I am planning an Alaska cruise for my husband, 15-year old son, and myself. I am torn between HAL Noordam and Norwegian Sun. Leaning towards HAL Noordam because is looks like the balcony cabins are a little larger, but then somebody told me that Norwegian Sun would be better for my teenager. Any thoughts?

Welcome to CC.

Here are the teen activities for Alaska that should be typical. All of the teens we have met in eight years of sailing with HAL enjoyed their experience and created friendships with others from many cultures.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-13-17.pdf