What would you do in the MDR?

LMaxwell

Yep, don't know what the issue is that so many have in following the rules (by whatever name) we all agreed to when we booked?

I guess they just think they're too special.

Though I'm not as experienced as many around, dress code as never showed up on my bookings as mandatory...

Yep, don't know what the issue is that so many have in following the rules (by whatever name) we all agreed to when we booked?

I guess they just think they're too special.

For crying out bells, they are not "rules", but rather "suggested dress." I don't understand why people have an issue with what others choose to wear. And for what it is worth, I do follow the "suggested dress", but it is my choice and no one else's business.

I wonder whether this hypothetical question posed in post #1was designed for entertainment. Am I the only one to get this impression? :) :D

I am entertained!

We have had a few tables where on of the men worse a t shirt every night, one a t shirt with a tuxedo printed on it for formal night... Last cruise a fellow wore a t shirt every night, even in the Grande. We "minded" it so much that we are going on two more cruises with them. they were good company.

I do like to check out how people dress. I am fond of the dressy shirts that men wear in hot weather countries- don't know the name, but the are usually have collars, button down the front, straight hemmed and solid colors with subtle designs woven in. I find them perfect for formal night, as I generally do hot weather cruises. LOVE men in kilts with the formal jackets. The one that made me chuckle to myself was the table of 8 who wore matching track suits on formal night, well, they were suits! So, technically the letter of the law (okay, the suggestion), rather than the spirit of the suggestion...

I would prefer that people cover all their jiggly bits when they dine, so I do understand the desire not to see uncovered body parts. Of course, I am of that age that we were taught not to have our undergarments exposed, and at my age if I ever chose to strip down in public, people would start yelling, _

"put it on" rather than "take it off".

For crying out bells, they are not "rules", but rather "suggested dress."

A dress code, like a code of behaviour, is not just a "suggestion" - those are rules. Of course, different lines may not call it a "dress code" and instead just make suggestions -- but a "dress code" is, in fact, a written collection of rules.

Whether or not one chooses to follow them is a different matter, as is whether or not the management will enforce them.

The entire dress situation is getting stranger by the year. HAL recently (last year) adopted a new policy that did away with "formal" nights and replaced them with "gala" nights. Gala still has a dress code, but its closer to what most lines call "smart casual" and this seems to be just a sign of the times. But many HAL cruisers (including moi) still enjoy dressing formal on these nights with the expectation that some folks will not be in that type of dress. But on one of our recent cruises we went to a Gala dinner (I was in my Tux and DW was wearing a very nice outfit) and got seated at a table of other well dressed folks. It turned out that they had told the Maitre'd to put them at a "shared table" with only folks dressed in formal wear. And the Maitre'd did comply...and actually was very helpful.

Getting back to the OP's question, as long as folks sharing our table were dressed in good taste we would have no problem. But I do draw the line at baseball caps in the MDR (real gentleman do not wear hats in a dining room). If seated at a table with somebody wearing a baseball cap...we would politely excuse ourselves and then quietly ask the Maitre'd to seat us at another table. No need to make noise or a scene.

Hank

Are you thinking of packing totally outrageous clothes so that you can watch people's reactions......and possibly read about them on CC? :D

I think that the world would be a very dull place if everyone were as boring and conservative as I.

As an avid people watcher, the unusual or bizarre always delights me.

I agree.:p

Our cruise, last Halloween, was... memorable!

Edited by $hip$hape

Basically I am pretty easy when it come to what other choose to wear. I would not even blink if someone came to the MDR in their bathrobe for dinner. However...

If they arrive with a strong body odor or worse yet, used two hands full of really cheap perfume and then ate with their hands, I would be looking for another table or some place else to have dinner.

Bob

Basically I am pretty easy when it come to what other choose to wear. I would not even blink if someone came to the MDR in their bathrobe for dinner. However...

If they arrive with a strong body odor or worse yet, used two hands full of really cheap perfume and then ate with their hands, I would be looking for another table or some place else to have dinner.

Bob

I agree, Bob. I couldn't care less what others wear as long as they don't have bad B.O.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bottom line. As long as when I turn away I do not know they are there (There is no smell) I really do not care what someone is wearing.

I have met many people who simply do not 'dress up' at all who are the nicest and most genuine people. Those who 'look down' on people who do not dress the way they think that they should be dressed are snobby, and intolerant.

I dislike people who say things about other's outfits or bodies that are simply obnoxious. For example if a woman is wearing a swimsuit that some might consider inappropriate for her, they will say things like "I could not get the image out of my mind". Well that is your problem, not hers. My attitude is that if she is confident enough to wear what she is wearing, good for her.

And do not give me the crap line 'What about the children?' Kids are not affected by seeing some skin. I would rather my kids see skin than someone physically hurting another.

I respectfully disagree that this is a silly question. I might have thought so at one time, but not after an experience we had on a cruise several years ago. My family (husband, 2 teen sons and a daughter, elderly father and his wife) was seated at a round table adjacent to a family of six (four children and their parents). In every way but one, they were the perfect dinner mates. The children were amazingly well-behaved, and the parents were fun-loving and upbeat. They gave off a really cheerful vibe. The problem was the uncomfortably distracting nature of the mother's attire. Every night, this big-bosomed, curvy thighed lady wore a tight mini dress with a wide and plunging neckline. And, she didn't seem to notice how high the skirt of her dress rode up either.
And that is your problem that you are bothered by it. As long as she is basically covered, who cares! My feeling is that if it was a skinny woman who was wearing that same outfit, pretty much everyone would be staring at her and complimenting her choice of outfit.

I had a similar problem on the first formal night of our last cruise. A very large lady a couple of tables away, in my direct line of sight, was wearing an ill-fitting sleeveless sun-dress. She was sitting side-on to me so I could see both her back and front. The armhole of the dress gaped at the back showing the band of her bra with a couple of large rolls of fat bulging around it. The front of the dress was very low, exposing most of her breasts that were only partly covered by her bra. It wasn't formalwear, and it wasn't nice to look at. :( To my relief we never saw her again for the rest of that cruise.

...And it is your problem that you were bothered by it. Just turn away if you do not like the look.

Edited by reedl

We proudly enter the MDR in our beautiful cruise formal attire and the maitre d' seats us at a table for six. Suddenly, we are aware that the fat woman opposite us is showing a bit too much cleavage. Of course we ask to be moved.

So, do you have something against fat women?

I, for one, love women of all sizes and shapes. Particularly, I find very attractive those who are full figured, Rubenesque.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Getting back to the OP's question, as long as folks sharing our table were dressed in good taste we would have no problem. But I do draw the line at baseball caps in the MDR (real gentleman do not wear hats in a dining room). If seated at a table with somebody wearing a baseball cap...we would politely excuse ourselves and then quietly ask the Maitre'd to seat us at another table. No need to make noise or a scene.

Hank

Just for your information some men cover there heads for religious reasons and they are real gentlemen.

Hank

Just for your information some men cover there heads for religious reasons and they are real gentlemen.

So, does that include wearing a baseball cap at dinner in the MDR? Maybe he's a member of The Church of the MLB? :)

Of course, the fella may have some kind of medical reason for wearing a baseball cap at dinner. Who knows, It's anybody's guess.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise..

Edited by Kingofcool1947

So now I am trying to recall any religion that requires a man to wear a baseball cap in the MDR? Despite being a senior and on this earth a pretty long time, and having visited over 100 countries around the world, we cannot recall any such religion. So I guess now we have the "New Church of Baseball Caps and Bad Manners."

Hank

Wow there is a lot of judging going on here ...

We all interpret things differently and one persons formal may well be another's casual depending on your lifestyle, outlook, background etc . I think it's a shame that people would judge on appearance and lose out on getting to know people who are just that bit different from themselves. Diversity in life is important, we can all learn something from others if we take the time to look beyond the wrapping ...

I may not dress up the way some people like ... I'm a fan of quirky alternative styles, I have a flamingo tattoo and half my hair is turquoise. If someone doesn't want to eat with me that's fine ... It's their issue not mine.

I can't think of any religion where men wear hats indoors. Yes, they cover their heads at all times, but they don't wear hats at all times (i.e. not indoors).

Even Hasidic men who wear wide black hats virtually all the time do not wear them indoors (their head is still covered with a kippah, though)..=

If you are sitting at a communal table and the maitre D' sits a couple/group/or family at the table that you think is dressed inappropriately, what would you do about it? Anything?

Steer the conversation to politics, religion & music so I can point out everything else that is wrong with them?

Or just try to get to know them. Depends on whether I'm drinking tequila or wine.

:D

I can't think of any religion where men wear hats indoors. Yes, they cover their heads at all times, but they don't wear hats at all times (i.e. not indoors).

Even Hasidic men who wear wide black hats virtually all the time do not wear them indoors (their head is still covered with a kippah, though)..=

How about my Sikh friend? Would you even dare ask him to remove his turban at evening dinner in the MDR? :D

image_zpscs4sr9n5.jpeg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

So now I am trying to recall any religion that requires a man to wear a baseball cap in the MDR? Despite being a senior and on this earth a pretty long time, and having visited over 100 countries around the world, we cannot recall any such religion. So I guess now we have the "New Church of Baseball Caps and Bad Manners."

Hank

That got a chuckle and I get your point, but many people who have or have had cancer also choose to wear a hat. I don't make it a point to ask someone why they are wearing it. I just let it go.

So, do you have something against fat women?

Absolutely not. You misunderstood my post. It was a take-off on earlier posts and I was saying that while we might object to other people's appearance, they might not find us perfect either.