Deployment 2018-19 booking season begins

MADflyer

As long as they can make more money elsewhere, that's where they will go. I'd expect them to being back a New Orleans ship before LA.

Understand about making money but do think a Vision size ship would do well on the West Coast with alternating itineraries to Mexico and up the CA coast. Coastal itineraries could be Wine Cruises. :D(yn)

Understand about making money but do think a Vision size ship would do well on the West Coast with alternating itineraries to Mexico and up the CA coast. Coastal itineraries could be Wine Cruises. :D(yn)

While the ship might do well, if RC can make more money elsewhere, that's where they will go. Talking to officers about Monarch and Mariner based in LA, even though they were able to fill the ships and get good onboard spending, the expenses were much higher than elsewhere, so profits were lower.

While the ship might do well, if RC can make more money elsewhere, that's where they will go. Talking to officers about Monarch and Mariner based in LA, even though they were able to fill the ships and get good onboard spending, the expenses were much higher than elsewhere, so profits were lower.

At the Harmony Inaugural Michael Bayley was asked about ships coming back to the West Coast. He said the door is open for discussion which is better than the "no" we've been hearing. Maybe it will happen one day...

I could deal with a late release. How much later was it? Do you remember?

JS, including taxes and port fees, 2 persons, $4014. I don't usually post re fares booked, but this cruise featured 7 ports, including two overnights in the two Iceland ports. Inside staterooms started at $1099 pp.

At the Harmony Inaugural Michael Bayley was asked about ships coming back to the West Coast. He said the door is open for discussion which is better than the "no" we've been hearing. Maybe it will happen one day...

This is very good indeed...we're so used to hearing "NO" !

I think it will boil down to competition with other cruiselines. If they can retain their loyal following by avoiding west coast ports, which are expensive for many reasons, then they won't need to return

JS, including taxes and port fees, 2 persons, $4014. I don't usually post re fares booked, but this cruise featured 7 ports, including two overnights in the two Iceland ports. Inside staterooms started at $1099 pp.

So sorry, I totally misread your post, hence, the earlier response. The Vision of the Seas August 22nd transatlantic was released June 3.

I think it will boil down to competition with other cruiselines. If they can retain their loyal following by avoiding west coast ports, which are expensive for many reasons, then they won't need to return

So those of us on the west coast should stop being loyal if we want them to return :confused:

You guys will call me crazy. You guys will want me to be in a straight jacket for saying this. But I'm putting money a quantum class ship is coming to the west coast to do Alaska. I guarantee it. 1st is has to compete with a large size ship that NCL will put up in Alaska. And when the technology announcement was made Richard rain specifically mention both the Verazanno and Golden Gate Bridge. It's gonna happen folks. Just watch. Mark my word.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So those of us on the west coast should stop being loyal if we want them to return :confused:

There has been a steady flow of loyal West Coast RCI customers over to Princess in the last 6 years.

I'm surprised to hear that RCI now admits to making money onboard the MN and MA when they were home-ported in Los Angeles. That goes against their explanation for leaving/not returning that was stated at the time and since. We West Coast folks were told repeatedly that we did not spend enough money onboard to support the ships remaining in Los Angeles. :confused:

You guys will call me crazy. You guys will want me to be in a straight jacket for saying this. But I'm putting money a quantum class ship is coming to the west coast to do Alaska. I guarantee it. 1st is has to compete with a large size ship that NCL will put up in Alaska. And when the technology announcement was made Richard rain specifically mention both the Verazanno and Golden Gate Bridge. It's gonna happen folks. Just watch. Mark my word.

I could see that....but...which one do you think it would be? They are so enthused with Asia I don't think they would pull one from there. Are the new Pan Canal locks big enough to let Anthem through?

I could see that....but...which one do you think it would be? They are so enthused with Asia I don't think they would pull one from there. Are the new Pan Canal locks big enough to let Anthem through?

Just have it do the Explorer run from Australia to Seattle and back.

The locks are big enough, but that is not the problem. The ship would have to fit under the Bridge of Americas on the Pacific side. As John mentioned, it would probably be easier for a Quantum Class ship to come from Asia/Australia for the Alaska season, as Explorer is now doing out of Seattle.

The locks are big enough, but that is not the problem. The ship would have to fit under the Bridge of Americas on the Pacific side. As John mentioned, it would probably be easier for a Quantum Class ship to come from Asia/Australia for the Alaska season, as Explorer is now doing out of Seattle.

Or do another "Around the Horn" that was so popular several years ago???:)

Just curious as I had heard speculation from a reliable source that Adventure might be going to Bayonne and Freedom might be going to SJU.....so was wondering if that meant both AD & AN in Bayonne or if AD was "replacing" AN.

I'm with you here... talked about this 2 years ago on the 2015-2016 thread after I sailed on Quantum and then she went to China. I feel Voyager Class is an awful choice for Alaska, albeit seems to have been more successful than I thought it would be even though you can't look outside from hardly any venue, I assume Explorer passengers don't realize what they're missing as the ship sails by the awesome scenery. Quantum/Ovation/Q IV would be simply outstandsing in Alaska... can you imagine an Ovation South Pacific/New Zealand/Transpacific b2b2b2b with Alaska? I have to quit work for 2 months to live on the ship ala Mario style!!!

(On a side note, I think Merion_Mom is doing this itinerary on Radiance this coming month... my hero! I'd love to have that time off to do that itinerary.:D)

I can't remember the back story but something changed about plans for Vision and that's why those summer 2017 sailings didn't come out until June 2016. Since PNW already provided the details, I'll add that another quick way to find release dates is to look at start dates for the Roll Call. That usually works pretty well - at least for the most popular cruises.

Why is it expensive to cruise out of California, but not Seattle or Vancouver?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

California Air Resource Board declared war on the shipping industry. Speed reductions, Ultra low sulfur fuel, and shower power are just a few examples of the environment laws enacted since 2010

Thank you for sharing Mindy - we are really glad to see that Serenade will 'hopefully' be going back to Copenhagen - that is the TA we want to do late Summer 2018 since they bring the ship back sooner out of the Northern areas!

Which cruise(s) are you and John looking forward to booking?

I wish I could answer that Audrilee :confused: Thanks for asking. The good news is I have several placeholder onboard bookings I can build on, so I'm poised to shop :evilsmile: Bad news is I'm not sure what I'm shopping for. With two European emergency trips home due to John's health, we're less apt to jump on TA's than before, which stings since they were always our favs. DH's priority is photography so he gets tired of the sameness of RCCL itins, but the distant ports that offer variety carry more risk in the event of health probs. Last year I scored several JS bookings when they mistakenly opened them with prices nearly the same or lower than balconies, but I don't remember any grand strategy leading to those. Good luck with booking you northern TA!

California Air Resource Board declared war on the shipping industry. Speed reductions, Ultra low sulfur fuel, and shower power are just a few examples of the environment laws enacted since 2010

I kind of figured as much, maybe you all should complain to your legislature. ;)