Deployment 2018-19 booking season begins

MADflyer

There has been a steady flow of loyal West Coast RCI customers over to Princess in the last 6 years.

I'm surprised to hear that RCI now admits to making money onboard the MN and MA when they were home-ported in Los Angeles. That goes against their explanation for leaving/not returning that was stated at the time and since. We West Coast folks were told repeatedly that we did not spend enough money onboard to support the ships remaining in Los Angeles. :confused:

We'd heard the same about low on board spending. Monarch...with the 3/4 night cruises....did well. I compare it to the low price East Coast cruises people boast about. Is the on board spending that much higher/different? I don't think so. Princess, Carnival and occasionally Holland America continue to sail out of So Cal ports. I don't think they'd be here if it wasn't financially profitable for Carnival Corporation.

Mariner did not do well here due to the CA recession, Swine Flu and violence fears in Mexico but I feel the Vision and Radiance class ships did well.

We'd heard the same about low on board spending. Monarch...with the 3/4 night cruises....did well. I compare it to the low price East Coast cruises people boast about. Is the on board spending that much higher/different? I don't think so. Princess, Carnival and occasionally Holland America continue to sail out of So Cal ports. I don't think they'd be here if it wasn't financially profitable for Carnival Corporation.

Mariner did not do well here due to the CA recession, Swine Flu and violence fears in Mexico but I feel the Vision and Radiance class ships did well.

Well said and I have said it also many times ;)

I'm definitely not one of those.....I tried PCL when RCI left...something just felt off and I won't help to fill their ships.

I wish I could answer that Audrilee :confused: Thanks for asking. The good news is I have several placeholder onboard bookings I can build on, so I'm poised to shop :evilsmile: Bad news is I'm not sure what I'm shopping for. With two European emergency trips home due to John's health, we're less apt to jump on TA's than before, which stings since they were always our favs. DH's priority is photography so he gets tired of the sameness of RCCL itins, but the distant ports that offer variety carry more risk in the event of health probs. Last year I scored several JS bookings when they mistakenly opened them with prices nearly the same or lower than balconies, but I don't remember any grand strategy leading to those. Good luck with booking you northern TA!

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's never easy to make these kinds of decisions. Hugs to you! :*

Or do another "Around the Horn" that was so popular several years ago???:)

Just curious as I had heard speculation from a reliable source that Adventure might be going to Bayonne and Freedom might be going to SJU.....so was wondering if that meant both AD & AN in Bayonne or if AD was "replacing" AN.

I doubt it, but anything is possible, as you know so well. Hopefully we will find out soon.

I seem to recall it was around $800 per leg, and the Brazil to Chile was the cheapest

That is incorrect. I don't know what category you thought was $800, but it was certainly not ours. Brazil to Chile was the most expensive of the 3 legs. The Florida to Brazil leg was the least expensive, and Chile to Los Angeles was in the middle.

But your price makes a good story.

You guys will call me crazy. You guys will want me to be in a straight jacket for saying this. But I'm putting money a quantum class ship is coming to the west coast to do Alaska. I guarantee it. 1st is has to compete with a large size ship that NCL will put up in Alaska. And when the technology announcement was made Richard rain specifically mention both the Verazanno and Golden Gate Bridge. It's gonna happen folks. Just watch. Mark my word.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to Adam Goldstein they do not have plans to put a Quantum class in Alaska and he also believes that class of ships cannot call at the key southeast Alaska ports. I would not be surprised if most or all of the Quantum class end up in China.

That is incorrect. I don't know what category you thought was $800, but it was certainly not ours. Brazil to Chile was the most expensive of the 3 legs. The Florida to Brazil leg was the least expensive, and Chile to Los Angeles was in the middle.

But your price makes a good story.

That was an inside cabin price. Some folks do sail them you know.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I think it will boil down to competition with other cruiselines. If they can retain their loyal following by avoiding west coast ports, which are expensive for many reasons, then they won't need to return

I think that RCI doesn't care about their loyal following - they want new cruisers, who are much more likely to spend money on shore excursions, spa treatments, etc. They seem to be looking for immediate profits (to pay off some massive debt?) rather than building a base of repeat cruisers whose spending will decline over time. When I type it, I can't blame them for that. But as a passenger, I don't have to like it.

I think that RCI doesn't care about their loyal following - they want new cruisers, who are much more likely to spend money on shore excursions, spa treatments, etc. They seem to be looking for immediate profits (to pay off some massive debt?) rather than building a base of repeat cruisers whose spending will decline over time. When I type it, I can't blame them for that. But as a passenger, I don't have to like it.

But aren't there plenty of potential new cruisers on west coast? It just seems odd. There must be an underlying reason

According to Adam Goldstein they do not have plans to put a Quantum class in Alaska and he also believes that class of ships cannot call at the key southeast Alaska ports. I would not be surprised if most or all of the Quantum class end up in China.

Then how can you explain Norwegian Bliss a 168,800 ton ship going to Alaska? If that ship can fit I'm sure a quantum class will fit as well. Quantum class ship has one up on bliss. It has North Star.

But aren't there plenty of potential new cruisers on west coast? It just seems odd. There must be an underlying reason

Population density of the west coast just doesn't support a large cruise presence, and at least for the time being the Mexican riviera is dangerous. As much as I would love to venture west and cruise, it just doesn't make much business sense? .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

No idea if it is correct or not but I have a friend who works for Carnival who says the reason RCI left California is that ships must now use electricity instead of fuel while docked in port if it is their home port and it is very expensive to retrofit the ships to be able to do this.

No idea if it is correct or not but I have a friend who works for Carnival who says the reason RCI left California is that ships must now use electricity instead of fuel while docked in port if it is their home port and it is very expensive to retrofit the ships to be able to do this.

Well, at least is a reason I could believe - but you would think that RCI would be building their new ships to support that capability?

Well, at least is a reason I could believe - but you would think that RCI would be building their new ships to support that capability?

I would love to say yeah, that makes sense but I would guess that it's very expensive to do and I very much doubt anyplace other than CA would ever require it of a ship. I could more see them retrofitting something like a Vision class if they ever do come back to California.

Hmmmm... I'm trying to envision how Q Class could not fit into Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan when she's only 100ft longer than Solstice. Also the new NCL Bliss debuting in Alaska is 1082 feet while Q Class is 1138 feet, approx 50 feet difference.

Population density of the west coast just doesn't support a large cruise presence, and at least for the time being the Mexican riviera is dangerous. As much as I would love to venture west and cruise, it just doesn't make much business sense? .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

The only way more ships are coming back to the West Coast will be if the Chinese build some new islands for us to visit. When the only ports to visit are Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta and and Cabo it just gets too repetitive. Of course, it doesn't help much when the drug gangs are shooting people in the streets of 2 of those ports. Too many better alternatives to home port a billion dollar ship.

The only way more ships are coming back to the West Coast will be if the Chinese build some new islands for us to visit. When the only ports to visit are Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta and and Cabo it just gets too repetitive. Of course, it doesn't help much when the drug gangs are shooting people in the streets of 2 of those ports. Too many better alternatives to home port a billion dollar ship.

There are other options. Itinerary examples below.

Tue 28/03/17 Los Angeles (CA) / USA 16:00

Wed 29/03/17 San Diego (CA) / US 07:00 16:00

Thu 30/03/17 At Sea

Fri 31/03/17 Cabo San Lucas / Mexico 09:00 17:00

Sat 01/04/17 La Paz / Mexic 07:00 17:00

Sun 02/04/17 Loreto / Mexico 07:00 18:00

Mon 03/04/17 At Sea

Tue 04/04/17 Puerto Vallarta / Mexico 08:00 17:00

Wed 05/04/17 At Sea

Thu 06/04/17 At Sea

Fri 07/04/17 Los Angeles (CA) / USA 07:00

Itinerary #2

Sun 24/09/17 Los Angeles (CA) / US 16:00

Mon 25/09/17 Santa Barbara (CA)* / USA 07:00 17:00

Tue 26/09/17 San Francisco (CA) / USA 14:00

Wed 27/09/17 San Francisco (CA) / USA\ 20:00

Thu 28/09/17 Monterey (CA)* / USA 07:00 16:00

Fri 29/09/17 Santa Catalina Island (CA)* / USA 12:00 20:00

Sat 30/09/17 Ensenada / Mexico 08:00 17:00

Sun 01/10/17 Los Angeles (CA) / USA 07:00

Itinerary #3

Sun 01/10/17 Los Angeles (CA) / USA 16:00

Mon 02/10/17 Santa Barbara (CA)* / USA 07:00 17:00

Tue 03/10/17 San Francisco (CA) / USA 16:30

Wed 04/10/17 San Francisco (CA) / USA 20:00

Thu 05/10/17 Monterey (CA)* / USA 07:00 16:00

Fri 06/10/17 At Sea

Sat 07/10/17 Santa Catalina Island (CA)* / USA 08:00 17:00

Sun 08/10/17 Ensenada / Mexico 07:00 16:00

Mon 09/10/17 Los Angeles (CA) / USA 07:00

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I would love to visit Loreto and La Paz! We've never been to either one. Puerto Vallarta and Cabo are always fun stops. :D IMO it is just an excuse (money in some fashion) as to why they aren't out here, when other lines are very successful.

The cruise line (like others) could do partial canal trips as Princess does. We really enjoyed a day in Huatulco on one of our cruises.

The electrical hook up comment is interesting....because that is one thing about California, there are a great many air quality and pollution control laws. :)

Funny you should mention that - it was because I looked on the fish site RCI listing by price per night I found the 4/14 Navigator sailing which currently has cabins starting at $38/day.

Biker, whose all time bargain was the Legend TA at $25 per day.

My best was 5 nite, $59 ea, 2 passengers tax included. Actual cruise cost was $9 each & $50 tax each. Total cost of $118.

Funny you should mention that - it was because I looked on the fish site RCI listing by price per night I found the 4/14 Navigator sailing which currently has cabins starting at $38/day.

Biker, whose all time bargain was the Legend TA at $25 per day.

We did one of the $99 four night Sovereign sailings in October 2008. No solo supplement. There was tax on top of that though. It was one of her last sailings.