What is so great about the Royal/Regal buffet?

Loreni

I have read that Royal/Regal have the best buffet. However, looking at the photos, it doesn't seem that the food quality is any different than other Princess buffets.

Is it just more perceived variety? I don't need 8 colors (flavors?) of panna cotta. Or 6 types of cookie, none of which contain butter. Or laminated pastry in myriad shapes, none of which were made with butter. Are there any desserts offered that are better than on other Princess ships?

I would like to see greater variety in the types of fruit served, not just melons, oranges, kiwi, apples, pears and bananas. Are berries available? Figs? Peaches? Cherries? Lychee? Any fruit that one doesn't find at other Princess buffets.

More choices of vegetables and greens at the salad bar?

So I guess my question is whether any new items are appearing, or is just more incremental variations of existing Princess items.

Is there a gluten-free section, or at least clearly and accurately marked GF items?

Or is the overall atmosphere of the buffet just more pleasant...nicer furniture and decor and less crowds?

Not only is the variety of foods more plentiful but the seating is much more spacious and varied then on other Princess ships we have been on...

I have read that Royal/Regal have the best buffet. However, looking at the photos, it doesn't seem that the food quality is any different than other Princess buffets.

Is it just more perceived variety? I don't need 8 colors (flavors?) of panna cotta. Or 6 types of cookie, none of which contain butter. Or laminated pastry in myriad shapes, none of which were made with butter. Are there any desserts offered that are better than on other Princess ships?

I would like to see greater variety in the types of fruit served, not just melons, oranges, kiwi, apples, pears and bananas. Are berries available? Figs? Peaches? Cherries? Lychee? Any fruit that one doesn't find at other Princess buffets.

Royal & Regal have adjoining buffet at Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro.

Their Pastry Shop blows all the other HC's out of the water! They usually have a selection of around 6 different kinds of cakes, one of which is usually gluten free and 1 being sugar free. The Norman Love cakes are absolutely incredible!!

Horizon Bistro offers a taqueria every lunch to make your own tacos and fajitas that are scrumptious. Horizon Court has an Italian section, meat section, Asian section, fruit, and salad options galore.

The buffet on Royal and Regal is so superior to regular buffets that we have become tempted (and given into said temptation) to ditch the dining room for dinner at HC! I find all my favorites!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Their

The buffet on Royal and Regal is so superior to regular buffets that we have become tempted (and given into said temptation) to ditch the dining room for dinner at HC! I find all my favorites!

And that is precisely what we did on our last cruise on the Regal[emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we have not been on the Royal or Regal -bit we are long term Princess cruisers... we have cruise a lot on Celebrity which also has a very good buffets. We are elite on both lines.

We are booked on the Royal... next October... based on our experience on both lines, I plan to walk around the entire buffet to get the lay of the land... ... there are so many choices that you need to explore what is there before you start to serve yourself.

What I have noticed in the past on Princess... is they do change the menu daily, especially for lunch... vs Celebrity basically offers the same choices each day.

We have learned that if there is a special condiment that we like... it may be only in once location....so we make an effort to get it.

The other thing I have found on Princess, if you want something and you do not see it out, ask... if they can get it for you they will.

Princess is very customer friendly.

on

So I guess my question is whether any new items are appearing, or is just more incremental variations of existing Princess items.

Is there a gluten-free section, or at least clearly and accurately marked GF items?

Or is the overall atmosphere of the buffet just more pleasant...nicer furniture and decor and less crowds?

It's a HUGE improvement compared to all the other Princess ships.

There are so many other options for dinner that we did just that last October on a 20 day cruise on the Royal Princess. We never once went to the MDR for dinner (although we did frequently for breakfast). Instead we went to the Horizon Court (loved the Mongolian Barbecue and German nights), Alfredos, and the fee based Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar (sushi and sashimi, etc.), the Winemakers Dinner, and both Sabatinis and Crown Grill. We didn't have a bad dinner the entire cruise.

We've only ever sailed with Princess (tbh they've sailed where we've wanted to go) and only ever eat at the HC or IC (can't be doing with white tablecloths or fawning waiters and my jeans would probably be frowned upon on formal nights - even thought they're clean :D)

We sailed the Regal last month on an 11-day Baltic cruise and we both agreed that the HC / HB buffet was the best we'd seen. Wide variety of food - a welcome return of Congee on the breakfast menu, menu themes for dinner (as has been mentioned) and curry, lots and lots of varied dishes from the Indian sub-continent... :)

Of course this could mean we're easily pleased (we generally are), but honestly anyone expecting Michelin quality food on a ship preparing food for nearly 4000 passengers probably needs a reality check...

The layout of the buffet is completely different than other Horizon Courts. There are rooms for bread, cheese, salad within the buffet and there is ample space to "skip" around to get what you need. It does not feel like a cafeteria.

Oh, and the desserts were awesome. They are in a separate section and we always found one of the desert chefs there and asked their preference of the desserts. They never steered us wrong. Also, if you want a specialty coffee, the waiters will get those for you as well (just had them your card or coffee card)

For breakfast we almost always order an omelette and then pick up some breakfast meat and starch. By the time we get to our table and hand the order slip to our waiter the omelette is ready for them to deliver to us.

We like salads for lunch and the selection is tremendous but you need to go to 3-4 stations to do it right. There is a section for the greens, veggies and meats. In addition there will often be other meats in a different section. There is also a section with a wide selection of cheeses and fixing for the special salad of the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off the Regal and loved the buffet layout and selections. I never saw many themes repeated and enjoyed the soup night where you make your own.

Where was the soup night held, Horizon? Was it like the Mongolian way?

Will be on the Regal next month.

Food comments are always so subjective. So, rather than speculate, or rely on antidotal comments, why not book a cruise on the Royal? Then you can find out for yourself. :). And report back your findings.

Good luck, and happy cruising.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Last cruise on the Regal we booked deck 16 just to be close to it.....They offered us an upgrade to a bigger cabin on a lower deck, which I refused....lol...Booked again for Nov. 2017 deck 16 of course.....lol now I just have to tell them we won't take any upgrades unless it's on deck 16 :D

I can only speak of the ROYAL...the layout is spacious and selections were well marked. We also liked that you could easily walk around behind those who were right there taking food. (I tried to upload numerous pics, but CC reported failed)

Last cruise on the Regal we booked deck 16 just to be close to it.....They offered us an upgrade to a bigger cabin on a lower deck, which I refused....lol...Booked again for Nov. 2017 deck 16 of course.....lol now I just have to tell them we won't take any upgrades unless it's on deck 16 :D

We usually stay on Emerald deck... Steps and Stairs... you need those after a visit to the Regal buffet ;)

The singing group or the soup? :D

As I recall the tacos were in their own section with all of the trimmings... maybe there was soup, I'm not sure.

Menudo, the soup. :)

Also, besides tacos, do they have enchiladas and tamales at the HC?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Menudo, the soup. :)

Also, besides tacos, do they have enchiladas and tamales at the HC?

Have never seen tamales there and only recall crispy taco shells or soft flour tortillas. I don't think those tacos are very good, actually. They are passable but not exceptional. I would rate them 2.75 stars out of 5 , and that is because the meat, chicken and beef, has never been that good. I think their chicken is usually too dry and the ground beef is too oily or heavy ,

With all the other good choices in the HC tacos are the last thing I usually look at, and when I do and have made them they are just underwhelming Not bad. Just not woo-hoooo , And there is no menudo. However, they did have Albondigas (for those who might not know, meatball soup) in the soup section, and it was surprisingly decent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

I found the food and variety great but the layout horrible. It is so spaced out good luck finding something you spied when you first walked in to look around. By the time I got something to eat and found a table all the hot foods on my plate were tepid.

On all ships, for dinner, we find a table first, order drinks, have water poured, unfold our napkins, THEN go get food. Makes it more of a restaurant experience rather than a cafeteria! That way if we get separated we know where we are sitting. On Royal and Regal with the bigger seating areas it was easy to find a table.

We also walked thru both lines reading the descriptions before we got plates. Then we went back for what we wanted.