Drinks Prices

HTFCcruiser

A friend just forwarded a copy of a promotional email from Cunard - offering free drinks ($12 and under) and reduced deposit on selected sailings in 2018 for balcony and above. Could not understand what they were saying about the gratuity in the fine print - its included but do not know if you have to pay for it. You are billed for the drinks and then credited back in the night. If you buy a drink above the $12, you pay for all of it.............not good for room service................Looks like opening fares did not go out of sight - at least on transatlantics..........Can't drink anymore and insides only for me these days, but wondering if Cunard has raised prices to make many drinks out of bounds.......but hoping this is good news for most of you.

We were on QM2 in June this year and Rum and Pepsi mixer from the gun $12.50 each for 2 Oz measure.......watch your bill because we did not ask for double measure but were given it (and charged for it) anyway....we felt this was very underhand so had no more alcohol for the rest of the trip ! This was in the Queen's Room and the waiter disappeared after he served us and did not return before we left.......

We were on QM2 in June this year and Rum and Pepsi mixer from the gun $12.50 each for 2 Oz measure.......watch your bill because we did not ask for double measure but were given it (and charged for it) anyway....we felt this was very underhand so had no more alcohol for the rest of the trip ! This was in the Queen's Room and the waiter disappeared after he served us and did not return before we left.......

So they up the price by a lot, there is a small marginal cost on the inputs (alcohol is duty and tax free), the result being that you decided to limit your spend to one drink, feel ripped off and perhaps are turned off Cunard. Not sure the bean counters fully thought that through. Does anyone look at the elasticities?

Here is a Bar Menu from the Lido after QV refurb. The Prices will need 15% service charge to be added.

Shorts used to be served in 1.5oz measure now

They are served in 1oz or 2oz measure

This really does not give a good example of the price rise, as some things have only risen by a dollar or so.

The New Commodore drinks/cocktail menu has the greatest price rise, with the also smaller standard size of short being introduced and the $1.75 + plus 15% service for a shot from the soda gun.

Interestingly no new Drinks menu are on Cunard's website, Their website also still states that shorts measure is in 1.5oz.

sorry its in pdf format of 4 pages

Many Thanks M-AR for the link, Both the Chart Room Drinks Menu prices and Lido Menu prices are together .

http://www.cunard.co.uk/Global/Images/Ships/QV/QV_refit/Chart_Room_Night_Menu.pdf

Lido Bar Menu.pdf

Lido Bar Menu 2.pdf

Lido Bar Menu 3.pdf

Lido Bar Menu 4.pdf

Thanks M-AR - just as I feared. Still awaiting updates from Cunard over the phone and on fb as they aren't able to confirm the price increase yet. Funny how quick they can get it agreed and distributed onboard menus but can't update a website.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I posted this question last Monday, 6 days ago on the Cunard Facebook site

"Can anyone confirm whether there has been a change to the drinks/bar menu showing on Cunard's website. I've heard that the measures for spirits are no longer 1.5oz but a 1oz or 2oz......also that cunard are now charging for the draught mixer/Pepsi which shows as being included in the cost of the spirit?

I will be very disappointed if we have to pay for the mixer as this will make a big difference to the bar bill on a two week cruise."

I had this reply from Cunard within 20 minutes

"Hi Linda, we have not been informed of any changes in this area. We are more than happy to confirm with our Food and Beverages team so we will update you when we have their response."

I added this to my initial question

"It's nearly a week now Cunard since you went to find out ........I've got the answer from Cruise Critic members onboard and think the increase is a ridiculous amount.

Please note that you now have to pay $1.75 + 15% for your mixer on top of the spirits price, this used to be included.

The previous size of the spirit was USA standard 1.7 oz and now you have changed that to 1oz or 2oz. So for example the old price for a 1.7oz measure of Gordon's Gin and Tonic Mixer cost $7.25 it now costs $7.50 for a 1oz measure or $10.50 for a 2oz (double measure) plus 15% surcharge in each case. So now a 1oz measure costs more than your old 1.7oz measures.

On top of this Cunard are still advertising the old prices on their website and even after you have booked on the Voyage Personaliser.

You need to get your act together as I feel as a very loyal customer to the brand having reached Platinum level you are now conning me.

I have budgeted for my holiday prior to booking on the advertised prices not on the hugely increased prices I will face onboard.

Please come back to me and let me know how I can raise this grievance with the complaints department for Cunard."

Let's see what happens from here.

I have seen this thread on the Cunard FB page.

Even though I do not drink a lot, these prices to me seem ridiculous. Perhaps those of us with a FB account should also be adding discussion to Cunard's very public FB trail blazing, advertising and image enhancing pages.

Well done Tangoqueen for your persistence here.

It's certainly spirits that have changed the most. Here's 3 examples:

(new 1oz, 2oz, old 1.5oz)

Bombay Sapphire : $6.95 $9.95 $7.75

Absolute Blue : $6.25 $9.25 $7.75

Jonnie Walker Black : $6.95 $9.95 $8.25

By changing the sizes, they have made it difficult to compare the old and new prices.

But say you had JW and coke, before it was $8.25 + 15% = $9.49 (1.5oz)

Now it's $6.95 + $1.75 + 15% = $10.00 (1oz).

So the price has gone up 50c and the alcohol size has been decreased by 50% ! (if you have a 1oz)

Or

Now it's $9.95 + $1.75 + 15% = $13.45 (2oz)

So the price has gone up $3.96 and the alcohol size has gone up by 33%.

So we have been stuffed 3 times; increase in spirit price, addition of mixer charge, change in £/$.

I have seen this thread on the Cunard FB page.

Even though I do not drink a lot, these prices to me seem ridiculous. Perhaps those of us with a FB account should also be adding discussion to Cunard's very public FB trail blazing, advertising and image enhancing pages.

Well done Tangoqueen for your persistence here.

Thanks LadyL1, I don't normally make such a fuss but I feel that this isn't right and not happy that I haven't yet had a response. We are not huge drinkers ourselves but just a few drinks each evening will make a difference to the anticipated onboard account. I certainly won't be letting it spoil our holiday but with two cruises booked feel like I and others should be informed of changes.

The cost of wine, beers etc increasing slightly is not too much of an issue but it is the cost of spirits, different sizing and intro of mixer charge that annoys.

Think it's a great idea to add further comments on the fb page.

Thanks LadyL1, I don't normally make such a fuss but I feel that this isn't right and not happy that I haven't yet had a response. We are not huge drinkers ourselves but just a few drinks each evening will make a difference to the anticipated onboard account. I certainly won't be letting it spoil our holiday but with two cruises booked feel like I and others should be informed of changes.

The cost of wine, beers etc increasing slightly is not too much of an issue but it is the cost of spirits, different sizing and intro of mixer charge that annoys.

Think it's a great idea to add further comments on the fb page.

Here's the link to the question in Cunard fb

I posted this question last Monday, 6 days ago on the Cunard Facebook site

"Can anyone confirm whether there has been a change to the drinks/bar menu showing on Cunard's website. I've heard that the measures for spirits are no longer 1.5oz but a 1oz or 2oz......also that cunard are now charging for the draught mixer/Pepsi which shows as being included in the cost of the spirit?

I will be very disappointed if we have to pay for the mixer as this will make a big difference to the bar bill on a two week cruise."

I had this reply from Cunard within 20 minutes

"Hi Linda, we have not been informed of any changes in this area. We are more than happy to confirm with our Food and Beverages team so we will update you when we have their response."

I added this to my initial question

"It's nearly a week now Cunard since you went to find out ........I've got the answer from Cruise Critic members onboard and think the increase is a ridiculous amount.

Please note that you now have to pay $1.75 + 15% for your mixer on top of the spirits price, this used to be included.

The previous size of the spirit was USA standard 1.5oz and now you have changed that to 1oz or 2oz. So for example the old price for a 1.5oz measure of Gordon's Gin and Tonic Mixer cost $7.25 it now costs $7.50 for a 1oz measure or $10.50 for a 2oz (double measure) plus 15% surcharge in each case. So now a 1oz measure costs more than your old 1.5oz measures.

On top of this Cunard are still advertising the old prices on their website and even after you have booked on the Voyage Personaliser.

You need to get your act together as I feel as a very loyal customer to the brand having reached Platinum level you are now conning me.

I have budgeted for my holiday prior to booking on the advertised prices not on the hugely increased prices I will face onboard.

Please come back to me and let me know how I can raise this grievance with the complaints department for Cunard."

Let's see what happens from here.

(Please note I have edited this as initially I quoted 1.7oz rather than 1.5oz)

Edited by Tangoqueen
originally quoted 1.7oz instead of 1.5 oz

Tangoqueen, excellent, lets hope they answer you. It certainly is disgusting that the old prices are still up on the website, as many new customers will be planning their holidays and looking for cost of drinks etc to see if all is cost effective for them, very,very bad show.

Just added my disapproval and disappointment at the 'new prices'. I think that all of us who visit this website should slip over to Facebook and express their feelings at this hike in price.

Unity in numbers :D

Just added my disapproval and disappointment at the 'new prices'. I think that all of us who visit this website should slip over to Facebook and express their feelings at this hike in price.

Unity in numbers :D

Count me out.

I love Cunard and I'm on holiday. I don't drink sodas and if I feel 'strapped', one or two 'drinks' less a day will help my liver.

Count me out.

I love Cunard and I'm on holiday. I don't drink sodas and if I feel 'strapped', one or two 'drinks' less a day will help my liver.

To some extent I agree with you and on a short cruise, eg a simple crossing, I can live without a drink but our upcoming cruise is 29 nights and I will certainly be wanting a drink or two during that time. We'll take a number of bottles of booze with us, but would like the opportunity of a drink in one of the bars on the ship without the feeling of being 'ripped off'. As they say, 'if it isn't broken then why fix it'

To some extent I agree with you and on a short cruise, eg a simple crossing, I can live without a drink but our upcoming cruise is 29 nights and I will certainly be wanting a drink or two during that time. We'll take a number of bottles of booze with us, but would like the opportunity of a drink in one of the bars on the ship without the feeling of being 'ripped off'. As they say, 'if it isn't broken then why fix it'

Nothing you or anyone else says, will make the slightest bit of difference. The bean counters have decided. You have booked a longish cruise and if you're going to feel 'ripped off' every time you buy a drink, you are going to have a miserable time. Have a drink or two. Grin and bear the extra expense and just consider this, if your holiday is ruined because of the drinks price rise, you could book with a cruise line which has a lower drinks price strategy next time, but will it match the overall Cunard experience?

Alternatively of course, you could book a cruise line which has an all inclusive drinks policy.

Only you can decide but please, don't let this spoil your holiday.

They could find out that this move produces less income, not more. Similar to raising taxes. Sometimes the unintended consequences bite back. I know that in the "olden days" drinks on ships were cheaper than you could get at home. All cash of course but no add ons. Cunardival might just find that some move on to better value for money. But then Cunard do have the only real North Atlantic capable liner left. ;p

Here's the link to the question in Cunard fb

Not exactly a favourite subject of mine and I opened the thread more out of curiosity at the number of comments.

Being a reasonably active Facebook member - I administer two Cunard Specific groups - I followed the link and read a few comments.

The one that caught my eye was ..."Time to vote with one's feet. Balance due in about 4 weeks, and I am looking at three cancellations. This is a rip off".

The chap is of course fully entitled to take whatever action he wishes but it occurred to me that the lost deposits (?) would more than cover any increase in prices: even on my onboard account. :evilsmile: :evilsmile:

It is just my view course that this increase has given a degree of credence to those who take pleasure in beating Cunard with a big stick.

And by the way of a balance, 15 months ago I cruised on Oceania's Riviera. Checking my account and example slips the cost of gin was then what Cunard is today: and then there is the added 18% gratuity charge added.