Drinks Prices

HTFCcruiser

It certainly isnt an exaggeration and on QM2 roundtrip Transatlantic last October many in the Queens Room were drinking pints of tap water.

If they were drinking water in the Queens room, then they would have been those who take their dancing seriously. I am one of those,however, I make up for it later in the G32.

You can order a bottle of wine from the wine package at dinner, turn in the voucher to the wine steward, and the bottle will be delivered to your stateroom.

That's correct jburton, you can also arrange to use a bottle from the wine package if you are booked into one of the alternative restaurants,however, it's best to arrange this with your Sommelier in advance or take the bottle with you.

If you think 50 USD is a good price then that is fine. P&O have fine wines at under 16 pounds. Why the massive difference between the ships when they are run by the same company. I too saw many people drinking water in the bars. And also fewer people ordering wine in the restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cunard and P&0 may be under the same umbrella, however, each has their own particular Characteristics, Service Style and Brand Image.

Cunard Line is premium, P&O is considered standard. It would be like comparing the Savoy with the Holiday Inn. There has always been a market for those who enjoy a luxury life style and Cunard Line is able to do this well.

A good majority of those who choose to travel Cunard are sophisticated well heeled folk, who are quite prepared to pay $50 or over for a bottle of wine, particularly some our American cousins ;)

The suggestion that "many people" on Cunard sit around the bars only drinking water is a gross exaggeration. It was standing room only in the Commodore and Veuve Clicquot bar on my last voyage.

Bell Boy, you are quite correct.

A few weeks ago, we stayed at the Savoy for a few days. In the American Bar, the minimum price for a drink was around £16. Unless you were a resident, you had to queue to get in.

Earlier this year, we did a Venice roundtrip on the Orient Express. The minimum price for a drink was €22. Champagne was €130. The train was full.

I am looking forward to our QE trip in a few weeks when the drink prices will be relatively CHEAP!

Stewart

Cunard and P&0 may be under the same umbrella, however, each has their own particular Characteristics, Service Style and Brand Image.

Cunard Line is premium, P&O is considered standard. It would be like comparing the Savoy with the Holiday Inn. There has always been a market for those who enjoy a luxury life style and Cunard Line is able to do this well.

A good majority of those who choose to travel Cunard are sophisticated well heeled folk, who are quite prepared to pay $50 or over for a bottle of wine, particularly some our American cousins ;)

The suggestion that "many people" on Cunard sit around the bars only drinking water is a gross exaggeration. It was standing room only in the Commodore and Veuve Clicquot bar on my last voyage.

You are kidding yourself having cruised recently on both Cunard and P&O if you are comparing like for like restaurantsi.e. Britannia and similar on P&O then there is not that much difference and Cunard is certainly not Savoy standard. If you want Savoy standard then you have to look at Regent Seven Seas or Crystal.

Nice to see snobbery is still alive and well on Cunard and think all cruisers are sophisticated and well heeled the price of Cunard cruises in Britannia are not much dearer than on P&O and is unfair to compare PG & QG on a like for like basis with P&O when there is no comparitive restaurants.

Edited by majortom10

Bell Boy, you are quite correct.

A few weeks ago, we stayed at the Savoy for a few days. In the American Bar, the minimum price for a drink was around £16. Unless you were a resident, you had to queue to get in.

Earlier this year, we did a Venice roundtrip on the Orient Express. The minimum price for a drink was €22. Champagne was €130. The train was full.

I am looking forward to our QE trip in a few weeks when the drink prices will be relatively CHEAP!

Stewart

Sorry but if you think comparing Savoy and Orient Express with a Cunard cruise you are dreaming. Yes Queens Grill would be on a par but Britannia restaurant is no higher than 4 star.

... Nice to see snobbery is still alive and well on Cunard ...
Hi majortom10,

I personally don't see it as snobbery. Carnival position their various brands so they don't directly compete against each other (which would be silly), although there maybe some "overlap".

The closest comparison that I can make is the "badge engineering" that occured back in the 50s-70s with cars. The same basic model appeared with different trims, luxury, performance, image. Each aimed to appeal to different sections of the public in the hope that there was something in the range that would grab people.

Even today, Volkswagen have many different brands from Skoda and Seat, through Volkswagen to Bentley, many of which share parts or details.

And so it is with Carnival Corp & Plc. From the "Fun ships" to the "Yachts", there are a regular series of steps, all appealing to different markets, different pockets.

Otherwise all the ships that Canival own across the world would appear under Carnival funnel colours, all called the "Carnival xxx" which would be commercial suicide.

There are areas of P&O that are directly comparable to Cunard I'm sure (esp the two older ships, and the adult only ones).

But Cunard has nothing like Ventura...

And P&O has nothing like Queens Grill...

"Different horses for different courses", as my grandmother used to say.

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn

Hi majortom10,

I personally don't see it as snobbery. Carnival position their various brands so they don't directly compete against each other (which would be silly), although there maybe some "overlap".

The closest comparison that I can make is the "badge engineering" that occured back in the 50s-70s with cars. The same basic model appeared with different trims, luxury, performance, image. Each aimed to appeal to different sections of the public in the hope that there was something in the range that would grab people.

Even today, Volkswagen have many different brands from Skoda and Seat, through Volkswagen to Bentley, many of which share parts or details.

And so it is with Carnival Corp & Plc. From the "Fun ships" to the "Yachts", there are a regular series of steps, all appealing to different markets, different pockets.

Otherwise all the ships that Canival own across the world would appear under Carnival funnel colours, all called the "Carnival xxx" which would be commercial suicide.

There are areas of P&O that are directly comparable to Cunard I'm sure (esp the two older ships, and the adult only ones).

But Cunard has nothing like Ventura...

And P&O has nothing like Queens Grill...

"Different horses for different courses", as my grandmother used to say.

Best wishes :)

I agree with your sentiment completely but it is unfair, as some are doing, comparing cruising with Cunard in the QG to cruising with P&O. P&O have no comparison and dont try or aim too and certainly do not charge the prices that are charged per person per night by Cunard for the Queens Grill. But have to disagree when it is said that Cunard cruisers are sophisticated and well heeled implying that people who cruise with P&O are of lower class is in anybodies eyes nothing but snobbery.

If they were drinking water in the Queens room, then they would have been those who take their dancing seriously. I am one of those,however, I make up for it later in the G32.

One of the things I enjoy about cruising is that I can consider the ship my "home" for the week. I don't think any cruiser should feel obliged to order alcohol to enjoy the entertainment on board (unlike if you go to a commercial bar or nightclub on land). Many (most?) serious ballroom dancers drink very little when they are dancing, as too much wine leads to sloppy dancers, injuries and a lot less fun on the dance floor. On the other hand, dancing is thirsty business and water is the best thirst quencher around. So I wouldn't assume all those with water "couldn't afford" the prices!

I agree with your sentiment completely but it is unfair, as some are doing, comparing cruising with Cunard in the QG to cruising with P&O. P&O have no comparison and dont try or aim too and certainly do not charge the prices that are charged per person per night by Cunard for the Queens Grill. But have to disagree when it is said that Cunard cruisers are sophisticated and well heeled implying that people who cruise with I P&O are of lower class is in anybodies eyes nothing but snobbery.

Yes, I have sailed many times on both lines and have found little difference between the passengers. The real difference is, that because Cunard markets itself as a Premium line, which it clearly isn't IMO (except of course for the premium grades) some people probably regard themselves as sophisticated, which they in my experience they are not.

I like many Lidle (cheap supermarket) products, often more than the equivalent from Waitrose (snooty expensive supermarket) There is such a thing as paying for the name.

David.

We only use the wine package in the MDR, but I assume you can use it anywhere, certainly in the other Restaurants, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be available via room service

Here are some drinks prices from QM2 Kings Court that give an idea, hopefully you can expand the pics. Unfortunately I think the type is too light

IMG_0182.jpg.e6e23b2e9c445b4494024cb434ee61fe.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg.7356b8cb4136536ff5f7c2cda44be642.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg.d63c4c4b18d899a57697c493463d27ff.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg.b72979b9fb403e33e46a21918e75fd6e.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg.deeb94043c192734fb1968ec547d774e.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

I think the drinks prices on Cunard are quite pricy, especially with the 15% service charge added to each one. But I choose to cruise Cunard and the prices aren't hidden - I know exactly what I'm getting. I'm not being ripped off. I could drink in my cabin cheaply ( and occasionally do) but my favourite bit of Cunard is the half hour before dinner, sitting in a Chart Room or Commodore Club sipping a drink, listening to some plinkety plink piano or a string quartet and watching the world go by.......worth $15 dollars of anyone's money

• 9 months later...
Here are some drinks prices from QM2 Kings Court that give an idea, hopefully you can expand the pics. Unfortunately I think the type is too light

Thanks for the look, it was very hard to read. We are going on a Transatlantic in October 2017 and have the package where drinks $12 and under are free (service charge we pay). We are not big on Alcohol but like an occasional wine. If I read your pictures right, most glasses are $7-9 dollars, right?

Thanks for the look, it was very hard to read. We are going on a Transatlantic in October 2017 and have the package where drinks $12 and under are free (service charge we pay). We are not big on Alcohol but like an occasional wine. If I read your pictures right, most glasses are $7-9 dollars, right?

Sherrie, Pennbank's post is dated 16 Sept 2016. According to more recent posts, there has been an increase, but surely the house wines remain under $12 per glass? - Hopefully someone recently on board will confirm. Regards, -S.

Sherrie, Pennbank's post is dated 16 Sept 2016. According to more recent posts, there has been an increase, but surely the house wines remain under $12 per glass? - Hopefully someone recently on board will confirm. Regards, -S.

Here is a Bar Menu from the Lido after QV refurb. The Prices will need 15% service charge to be added.

Shorts used to be served in 1.5oz measure now

They are served in 1oz or 2oz measure

This really does not give a good example of the price rise, as some things have only risen by a dollar or so.

The New Commodore drinks/cocktail menu has the greatest price rise, with the also smaller standard size of short being introduced and the $1.75 + plus 15% service for a shot from the soda gun.

Interestingly no new Drinks menu are on Cunard's website, Their website also still states that shorts measure is in 1.5oz.

sorry its in pdf format of 4 pages

Lido Bar Menu.pdf

Lido Bar Menu 2.pdf

Lido Bar Menu 3.pdf

Lido Bar Menu 4.pdf

Edited by Pennbank

Here is a Bar Menu from the Lido after QV refurb. The Prices will need 15% service charge to be added.

Shorts used to be served in 1.5oz measure now

They are served in 1oz or 2oz measure

This really does not give a good example of the price rise, as some things have only risen by a dollar or so.

The New Commodore drinks/cocktail menu has the greatest price rise, with the also smaller standard size of short being introduced and the $1.75 + plus 15% service for a shot from the soda gun.

Interestingly no new Drinks menu are on Cunard's website, Their website also still states that shorts measure is in 1.5oz.

sorry its in pdf format of 4 pages

Thanks Pennbank, that's helpful. Could you please nip back on board to take a photo of the spirits menu for me. I think for us the biggest increase is going to be from the introduction of the charge for the mixer. Also I liked the USA measure of 1.5 as you felt like you were having a drink......the single measure is a bit on the weak side and really don't want to start ordering doubles. To be honest if I'm drinking a single Bacardi and Pepsi I may as well have a glass of Pepsi but I know Mr T will say I'm being miserable.

With this unexpected and unadvertised price increase I've even been threatening something at home that I usually object too. The "tipping" scenario. We have a cruise in August and again in October, we've budgeted well to enable this to happen as we have our sons wedding and study fees to contend with over the next year. We've booked select fare on both cruises and I know from experience our onboard spend is around $1200 which includes tips, drinks and an excursion and we have this covered in our obc. Now if the new unadvertised drinks prices take this higher, which is quite likely, the holidays will cost more than we have budgeted. To keep within budget I said to Mr T we either have to drink less or see how else we can shave off the difference. Now....the only way to do this is not to have an excursion.....fine I say, we can probably live with that.....the other is to reduce the tips. Now this really goes against the grain for us.....we know how hard the staff work (and our daughter has previously worked on a cruise ship - but not in a role who received tips). However, we haven't moved the goal posts - Cunard have. My thought is presently, have our holiday as we have planned it, enjoy it as we planned it and maybe, if the bill is looking to be higher than the obc we have then go to reception and explain to whoever will listen that we will begrudgingly be reducing the amount of tips to stay within budget. Even as I write this it pains me as I know the people who will be hurt by that will not deserve too.

I have posted on the Cunard fb page asking about drinks prices and they are not aware and will be getting back with an update - that was two days ago.

Going forward once prices are known and published and when we book new cruises I will be doing so in an informed manner so would budget accordingly. But at present I do feel vexed.

Rant over!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Pennbank, that's helpful. Could you please nip back on board to take a photo of the spirits menu for me. I think for us the biggest increase is going to be from the introduction of the charge for the mixer. Also I liked the USA measure of 1.5 as you felt like you were having a drink......the single measure is a bit on the weak side and really don't want to start ordering doubles. To be honest if I'm drinking a single Bacardi and Pepsi I may as well have a glass of Pepsi but I know Mr T will say I'm being miserable.

With this unexpected and unadvertised price increase I've even been threatening something at home that I usually object too. The "tipping" scenario. We have a cruise in August and again in October, we've budgeted well to enable this to happen as we have our sons wedding and study fees to contend with over the next year. We've booked select fare on both cruises and I know from experience our onboard spend is around $1200 which includes tips, drinks and an excursion and we have this covered in our obc. Now if the new unadvertised drinks prices take this higher, which is quite likely, the holidays will cost more than we have budgeted. To keep within budget I said to Mr T we either have to drink less or see how else we can shave off the difference. Now....the only way to do this is not to have an excursion.....fine I say, we can probably live with that.....the other is to reduce the tips. Now this really goes against the grain for us.....we know how hard the staff work (and our daughter has previously worked on a cruise ship - but not in a role who received tips). However, we haven't moved the goal posts - Cunard have. My thought is presently, have our holiday as we have planned it, enjoy it as we planned it and maybe, if the bill is looking to be higher than the obc we have then go to reception and explain to whoever will listen that we will begrudgingly be reducing the amount of tips to stay within budget. Even as I write this it pains me as I know the people who will be hurt by that will not deserve too.

I have posted on the Cunard fb page asking about drinks prices and they are not aware and will be getting back with an update - that was two days ago.

Going forward once prices are known and published and when we book new cruises I will be doing so in an informed manner so would budget accordingly. But at present I do feel vexed.

Rant over!

Agree! Not going down the tipping argument as there is another thread about it. Please let us know what Cunard say. In the meantime enjoy your cruises.

Agree! Not going down the tipping argument as there is another thread about it. Please let us know what Cunard say. In the meantime enjoy your cruises.

Thanks Babs, I'll look through it........funnily enough I try not to get involved with the tips debates as feel strongly that we consider I as part of the cost of our cruise but then my little rant broke the rules. Don't think I knew what I was going to write til I started then there was no stopping me