No Specialty Restaurants over the Holidays?

Surfguyxxx

I'm going on the Serenade over the holidays this year and went to book a specialty restaurant for Christmas Eve and the website says you can't? Only reservations allowed are for Izumi and the main dining room; not even the Chef's Table. I did this same cruise last year and had no problem getting a reservation and it was full so lack of patrons didn't seem to be an issue. Does somebody know something I don't know? Thanks. :confused:

Edited by Surfguyxxx

Could be that you are just too early and they haven't opened reservations for all restaurants yet.

I thought of that but they are letting you book other restaurants on other days. For example, I have a Chop's reservation on Day 1, Chef's Table on Day 4 etc. This is what has me perplexed. I could "almost" see not any specialty restaurants open but they still have Izumi. So confused!!!!

I thought of that but they are letting you book other restaurants on other days. For example, I have a Chop's reservation on Day 1, Chef's Table on Day 4 etc. This is what has me perplexed. I could "almost" see not any specialty restaurants open but they still have Izumi. So confused!!!!

Could be the opposite then, no more reservations available for specialty restaurants. Just call Crown and Anchor and ask.:)

Based on last year at Christmas on the Oasis where they raised the prices of every specialty restaurant by $5 for the entire cruise it would not surprise me to see them put premium pricing on those days which is why you have to wait until you board to book. I could see them easily adding $10pp or more to the price. Christmas cruises are expensive and there are many cruisers that won't mind spending the extra.

They also raised the drink package prices on board for the week as well.

Based on last year at Christmas on the Oasis where they raised the prices of every specialty restaurant by $5 for the entire cruise it would not surprise me to see them put premium pricing on those days which is why you have to wait until you board to book. I could see them easily adding $10pp or more to the price. Christmas cruises are expensive and there are many cruisers that won't mind spending the extra.

They also raised the drink package prices on board for the week as well.

Wouldn't be surprised but alas. Thanks. I was hoping this wasn't the case; however I fear you're correct.

Wouldn't be surprised but alas. Thanks. I was hoping this wasn't the case; however I fear you're correct.

So many companies are moving towards this dynamic pricing model...charging extra when they can get it. Even our MLB team the Blue Jays have dynamic pricing in place for tickets to all their games. Unfortunately this will become the new norm with many items.

Don't neglect the possibility that they may simply be already booked up, by people with more pull than you. A partial charter has that kind of pull. Enough Pinnacle members to offer a private evening has that kind of pull, or groups of large stockholders or special RCI employees on year-end reward/bonus cruises, or any number of possibilities. And as special a night as Christmas may be to you, it's at least as special to those same others.

My first thought, as well, was they may be holding them back for Pinnacle or even suite guests. I asked to be put on a waiting list due to a special birthday in our group. Their response:

" I have reviewed the Cruise Planner and regrettably our records show that Chops Grille is unavailable for both December 24 and December 25, 2016. I contacted the Dining Department and have been advised the restaurant is closed due to the holiday. "

My first thought, as well, was they may be holding them back for Pinnacle or even suite guests. I asked to be put on a waiting list due to a special birthday in our group. Their response:

" I have reviewed the Cruise Planner and regrettably our records show that Chops Grille is unavailable for both December 24 and December 25, 2016. I contacted the Dining Department and have been advised the restaurant is closed due to the holiday. "

I will put money on it being open once you board. You most likely will pay more than the regular rate for the privilege of dining on the Holidays. We have eaten in Chops every year for the past several years on the Holidays....no way they are "closing" it on their busiest night.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We are booked on this years Xmas and NY cruise on Allure.

A couple of months back I checked the dining and everything was available - well apart from Izumi Hibachi which has never appeared. We decided to book Chefs Table for NYE and have a think about what else we wanted to do.

A week later I logged back in and there was such limited availability - Christmas Eve, Christmas day, NYE were all booked up - except for Sabor, Izumi Regular..... Chops, 150, Giovani's table all gone.......

So I am guessing that your sailing must also be filled up. I am hoping that they will keep a few spots open so we can book Christmas eve when we get on board.

We are on the Radiance in Australia for the NYE cruise and am finding the same issue.

Both Chops and Giovanni's are unavailble on the 31st and the 1st.

Was planning to book Giovanni's on the 1st as it's my wife's 50th and she loves Giovanni's.

I guess that we'll wait to be onboard. Would be surprised that they would close these 2 on those nights!

We are on a Thanksgiving Day Cruise. I just tried to book the three/four specialty restaurants on TG day.... Chops only had a 630 time available, all the others had other times (Chef Table has only one time). So, Chops is almost full on TG or only serving one meal. I am guessing full at other times.

Same thing on my Christmas+NY cruise on Navigator. Nothing available for Dec 24, 25, 31 or Jan 1. No way is it booked up yet. I tried on the first day they opened the reservations. I'm sure they are charging a premium rate for these days which means that I will be eating in the MDR. No way am I giving into their upcharge scheme.

• 1 month later...
Same thing on my Christmas+NY cruise on Navigator. Nothing available for Dec 24, 25, 31 or Jan 1. No way is it booked up yet. I tried on the first day they opened the reservations. I'm sure they are charging a premium rate for these days which means that I will be eating in the MDR. No way am I giving into their upcharge scheme.

I would be almost willing to pay a bit more but just be honest and let us know instead of having everyone get on-board and having us run around like idiots trying to grab a table at a certain time. I'm one of those folks that like to have plans made ahead of time so I don't have to run into this sort of this if I don't have to. :(:confused:

So many companies are moving towards this dynamic pricing model...charging extra when they can get it. Even our MLB team the Blue Jays have dynamic pricing in place for tickets to all their games. Unfortunately this will become the new norm with many items.

It's the basic laws of supply and demand at work in a free market economy. When something isn't selling well, no one complains when they offer a sale or discount to increase demand, but everybody wants to cry foul when prices go up in periods of peak demand.

Sailing Liberty of the Seas on Dec 18. RCI customer service tells me Chops closed for the ENTIRE cruise! I can almost understand closing Xmas and Xmas eve but the entire 8 day cruise? Have you heard anything about this?

Sounds fishy to me. I wouldn't put much stock in that information unless the entire restaurant is being renovated....and that is not the normal process for handling renovations.

I am on Oasis December 23 and was told by RC that Chops and Giovanni's are closed on 24th and 25th. All others open.

I'd be more likely believe that a group on board has booked both restaurants for those nights over them being closed altogether

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd be more likely believe that a group on board has booked both restaurants for those nights over them being closed altogether

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I could maybe see that if it was only one ship but it's not, it is on every ship that you cannot make reservations for Christmas and New Years.

The restaurants will be open amd available to book on board just at higher prices. We saw them do that on Oasis mast year and the restaurants were still packed so it looks like they are taking it to the next level this year.