Any New Mid Sized Ships for RCl in the future?

jc foster

Just got off LOS yesterday. Too crowded and large for me, but probably great for young families with kids. We ate once in MDR and were very disappointed. Dining was much better after purchasing a five night speciality package. Some plus things and some minus. I will write a review later. D oes anyone know if RCL has any new mid size (40,000 to 90,000 ) ton ships in the works . The vision class and Radiance class are getting older. We sailed the Splendor of Seas in Nov. and its gone. We are in our 60s and getting too old for Disney World type cruise but not quite ready for HH. Yes, we have sailed Celebrity and Princess but we enjoy some of RCL itineraries better.

I think the Quantum class is now considered a MID-sized ship by RCCL, so you will not see any new ships you define as mid-sized being offered by RCCL in the future.

Oasis class - mega size

Quantum class - mid-size

smaller than Quantum class - we'll install them as lifeboats on the Oasis and Quantum classes in the future.

You can't please everyone, and it seems you are not Royal Caribbeans target market anymore. I'm not sure I understand the desire for smaller ships, at least in the range you are looking for, but to each their own.

If I wanted a smaller ship, I'd go something like Seabourn. If I'm sailing on a large cruise ship, may as well go huge and offer more amenities.

But yeah, if you don't like the large Royal ships, switch to a different line, you have options.

I would expect a Celebrity Edge class derivative for RCI - but not for quite a while with O4/5 and Q4/5 coming through the next 5 years.

I'm hoping for this.

The size range of Edge Class would be a good replacement for the Vision Class, and even the Radiance Class.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I'm hoping for this.

The size range of Edge Class would be a good replacement for the Vision Class, and even the Radiance Class.

The design of a new class of ships is probably really expensive - I can definitely see both Vision and Radiance class ships replaced by just one class of ship.

The design of a new class of ships is probably really expensive - I can definitely see both Vision and Radiance class ships replaced by just one class of ship.

Totally agree.

And add in the fact that they could save even more money by tweaking the already-deigned Edge Class to RCI standards... This is a no brainer! :p

You can't please everyone, and it seems you are not Royal Caribbeans target market anymore. I'm not sure I understand the desire for smaller ships, at least in the range you are looking for, but to each their own.

If I wanted a smaller ship, I'd go something like Seabourn. If I'm sailing on a large cruise ship, may as well go huge and offer more amenities.

But yeah, if you don't like the large Royal ships, switch to a different line, you have options.

You are probably correct . We simply did not enjoy the long lines for everything (although the Diamond lounge host did help for tender tickets). I felt as though I was now on a moving resort and not a cruise ship. My daughter has a family anniversary cruise planned in a few weeks on one of these big boys ,but after that we will be looking. Looks like we will not be getting those next 15 points to make Diamond + but thats life.

I agree with the poster who said you're probably not in the RC target market anymore. They seem to have found a niche in big family cruising.

The good part is there are still several smaller ships in the fleet, and because they are less popular, you probably get a much better deal on them price wise. I'm sure they'll refurbish them at some point and they won't seem so old.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like the smaller ships and really like Radiance class, partly now because the pricing is better than mega ships and the different itineraries offered apart from the big ports.

Will I sail on an a Oasis class yes? Will I sail on something else like Celebrity? Yes

Nothing announced beyond more orders for Quantum class and Oasis class ships. IMO you will not see Royal build any ships under 100,000 tons and probably nothing under 125,000.

Sure looks that way.

Looks like most/all lines are heading bigger and bigger.

It is all about the money unfortunately our favorite ships are the Radiance class and the Vision Class but as a business person I can see that the profitability is so much better on the bigger ships. The Oasis class ships the fares have stayed very high so the revenue is very high on these cruises, the cost of entertainment per person is less than the smaller ships.

We find the staff on the smaller ships are much more connected and happy than the big ships.

Just my opinion

Brian j

Our largest ship has been the Liberty of the Seas and that was big enough for us. We are past the age of Rock Climbing and such yet enjoy watching others do them. We cruise for the Ports and meeting new friends. I am not against trying am Oasis class once to see if we would like something that large.

We love the smaller ships with the Radiance being our favourite.

I remember a particular Captain saying that they were building bigger ships and going after families.

I'm very disappointed they haven't refurbished the cabins on the Radiance - hope that doesn't mean it's going to suffer the same fate as the Legend:eek:

Cheers

Di

It is all about the money unfortunately our favorite ships are the Radiance class and the Vision Class but as a business person I can see that the profitability is so much better on the bigger ships. The Oasis class ships the fares have stayed very high so the revenue is very high on these cruises, the cost of entertainment per person is less than the smaller ships.

We find the staff on the smaller ships are much more connected and happy than the big ships.

Just my opinion

Brian j

Even Radience is a bit big for my tastes, but options are limited.

I enjoy being at sea and having the nautical feeling while on the ship. These mega ships are like being at a resort.

I enjoy being at sea and having the nautical feeling while on the ship. These mega ships are like being at a resort.

Exactly, and service and food (other than specialty seemed to suffer), but on the plus side entertainment was very good and I can see where my daughter, son in law, and grandkids would love it. I guess I will pull out my wallet, eat dog food for a few months and try Azamara again.