Many bad Jewel reviews lately?

We have booked a southern Caribbean cruise on the Jewel for next February out of San Juan.

We have sailed this route in Carnival and decided to pay the bit extra to try RC, hoping for a tad more luxury.

The latest bunch of reviews (even since drydock) are quite negative. Not enough chairs was a very common thread, the same few movies playing all week, poor food quality.....the recent reviews are from sailings in the Mediterranean, is that a factor?

I am wondering if this was a good decision.

Am I understanding that the solarium is left covered even on hot days on the Caribbean??? Is the food that mediocre? (I wasn't planning on paying more for specialty dining).

Any feedback that will make me feel more positive?

Thanks for your feedback!

I think it may have something to do with where it is sailing. When the ship is doing the southern Caribbean, there are few sea days, and on the one or two days when people are on the ship, they are spread out doing dinner and shows and sleeping, so I doubt the pool chairs or lack of pool movies are very noticed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Most, not all people that gripe on here, probably gripe about everything in life anyway. For some reason certain people that cruise expect the world to kneel at their feet.

We were just on the Jewel for 15 nights, and in our opinion, everything was terrific, but, we are not high maintenance.

Just remember...every person has a different personality and expectations. There isn't anyone that should be able to say anything to you or anyone else that should be scripted in stone. Only you can make that decision.

That's why when I send in reports or reviews, I generalize, and always make clear that based on our lines and personalities this is what we thought.

Have fun and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Its been a couple of years since we were on the Jewel. She is one of our very fav ships. That seems to be true of everyone I know who has sailed her. I have friends who were on her about 5 mths ago and they came back saying it was one of their best cruises.

We have booked a southern Caribbean cruise on the Jewel for next February out of San Juan.

We have sailed this route in Carnival and decided to pay the bit extra to try RC, hoping for a tad more luxury.

The latest bunch of reviews (even since drydock) are quite negative. Not enough chairs was a very common thread, the same few movies playing all week, poor food quality.....the recent reviews are from sailings in the Mediterranean, is that a factor?

Am I understanding that the solarium is left covered even on hot days on the Caribbean??? Is the food that mediocre? (I wasn't planning on paying more for specialty dining).

On my August 2013 cruise the solarium was left covered. I found it cold in there and would have preferred it opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't usually read the reviews because I like RCI's product. Most people will go out of their way to post a negative review, maybe just to vent.

I'm on a B2B Jewel (Radiance class) cruise in December and I know exactly what to expect.

1. Most of the time the Solarium roof will be closed, but the AC works well.

2. Sea days the Solarium and main pool will be packed, and seats will be hard to come by. Try after 2 PM.

3. The food will be just OK.

4. I have never gone to the theater on any ship.

5. My one big pet peeve is there is no Park Cafe.

6. I will have a wonderful time with my table mates in the MDR, and I'll barely notice the food.

7. The Schooner Bar will be great.

8. I will enjoy myself, and not let anything ruin my B2B.

Just go and enjoy. Think positive and have fun!

I sailed the jewel for the first time last December for the southern Caribbean route. While the ship itself felt too small for me,the boat was fine. I had a great cruise and really enjoyed myself, but I'd prefer the voyage class or freedom class.

The solarium was closed but they must have AC going in there because it was sometimes cooler in there than the pool deck!

Jewel has always been a favorite but we actually enjoyed our recent (May) B2B on Adventure a bit more (and waiting for RCI to open bookings on her for May 2018)....OP the AOS is going into drydock this October...have you considered sailing her southern route instead of JOS ?

I am awaiting new reviews to see if the refurb will be completed as planned. We enjoyed Jewel and look forward to seeing her again soon!

I am not a fan of how they wrecked the Centrum to put in a few short Circ-du-solei type shows.

The Jewel was refurbed in April. The green stairway remains, and from what I can tell there can be no aerial shows because of the hanging sculpture. Perhaps you are referring to Serenade?

http://www.******************.com/2016/04/25/first-look-photos-royal-caribbeans-jewel-of-the-seas-refurbishment

I am not a fan of how they wrecked the Centrum to put in a few short Circ-du-solei type shows.

I sailed the Jewel after the dry dock this year and they did not "wreck" the centrum and no aerial shows were present. I think you're thinking of Serenade or Brilliance?

Hi! We were on her in late April 2014 and had a fabulous time! The previous winter was unbearable in the Northern US and Canada, so our ship was filled with Canadians, New Yorkers, Ohioans, and others from the US New England States who just wanted to see some sun and thaw out :cool:

The Solarium roof was open the entire time we were on the cruise. I'm guessing that unless it rains a lot, they will have it open for yours too but that; just my opinion...

We arrived in Puerto Rico the same day we sailed and our itinerary was the St Martin/Antigua/St Croix/St Lucia/ Barbados itinerary. The only two times we had "issues" were in St. Croix at the beach near the dock we felt as tho some locals sitting in their cars were targeting passengers who left their valuables on their towels unattended and went into the water- (a teenager actually was headed toward ours, and when he saw me exit the water he abruptly turned and ran just before he reached our towel. My antennae was up about this happening as there were warnings on other posts- but this can happen anywhere, even my hometown. Crisis averted so it didn't ruin my cruise). The other "issue" was that although I found Barbados beautiful, the people were very pushy the week we went. I realized that we were the very last ship of the season, so they were trying to sell whatever they could due to a 3 month absence of cruise ships. So, all in all everything was good... We find that a lot depends the time of year and the week you sail, especially out of PR. If you are going the second or third week in February, that's when many of the US schools have a winter break and you will at least be on with passengers of the same "mindset" so to speak, which will be good.

During the day, visit the The Park Cafe in the Solarium- they have a wonderful buffet lunch (in addition to the dining room sea day lunch and the Windjammer buffet). In the beginning of the week it's less crowded, but as time goes on your fellow passengers will join and it gets crowded. The Park Cafe offers freshly carved Prime Rib sandwiches that are delicious!!! (Kemmelwick sandwiches) Also fruit, salads bar etc. My hubby ate about 3-4 of those sandwiches at least twice each day:eek:

Also another trick is to reserve the late seating (8:30 pm)for dinner, but mosey up to the Windjammer about 6 pm and see what's up there being offered. There's usually a carved meat, plus all the typical offerings. If you like shrimp cocktail but want more than the 5 pieces you get an an appetizer, you can have several spoonfuls in the Windjammer...Typically its the same food offered int he diningroom (except escargot and lobster tail) and you can get what you want. (On lobster night we ate at the Windjammer and then only had the lobster at dinner:p)

Another gem was the hors d'ourves offered in the Sports Bar when we went, and several 2 for 1 drink specials during happy hour (see your Cruise Compass for info or ask a bartender when you are on the ship). There's a lot of hidden gems on this ship- places to eat and drink.

In my past experience, Carnival does offer more food more often (in my opinion) but I find the quality to be the same on most ships. For instance Carnival offers a small personal pizza where Royal offers slices... However there is also a small little restaurant on the aft starboard side on deck 11 or 12??? (Seaside Cafe I think?) and they have delicious food there too- included in the cruise price when we went. I don't know about the reviews you read and maybe something has changed since 4/2014, or maybe it was because it was Mediterranean... I don't know but I just wanted to give you some feedback. Good luck in your decision and have a great cruise no matter what you decide:)

-Mimi

Edited by mimirdh

So many of these comments are pre April refurbishment so are totally irrelevant. I so wish people would only respond when their answers are actually accurate!! RANT![emoji18]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really, I don't the in the refurbishment had anything to do with the solarium roof.

We enjoyed our b2b cruises on Jewel in April/May. It was nice to see the old Jewel in Sept '15 and the new Jewel after her makeover.

I sailed the Jewel after the dry dock this year and they did not "wreck" the centrum and no aerial shows were present. I think you're thinking of Serenade or Brilliance?

Agree....it was so nice to see the Green Glass staircase still there. I think they found the aerial shows were not cost effective and had to be cancelled many times due to a rocking ship. Also many complaints that only a few could really see them.

Hi! We were on her in late April 2014 and had a fabulous time!

During the day, visit the The Park Cafe in the Solarium- they have a wonderful buffet lunch.

However there is also a small little restaurant on the aft starboard side on deck 11 or 12??? (Seaside Cafe I think?) and they have delicious food there too- included in the cruise price when we went.

-Mimi

Many changes since you were on Jewel in 2014.

Jewel has never had a Park Cafe w/buffet lunch and still doesn't after her refurb. There is a Pizzeria in the Solarium and it does serve Roast Beef sandwiches.

1632465187_JewelPizzariea.jpg.38127d59481bc1bb92119cfe6cdf7f7e.jpg

The Seaview Cafe is now Izumi....a pay restaurant.

Izumi.PNG.e534d65c3d920740e29dfe6b6c944b5c.PNG

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

We are just back from an 8 day Mediterranean cruise on the Jewel and I just posted a review which I think is positive. Sine I have a 10 year old son, the Solarium is of no importance to me (except for the Kummelweck sandwiches) so I didn't notice if it was opened or not. Deck chairs were crowded on the one sea day as you would expect.

We are sailing on the Jewel again in February and the biggest question in my mind is whether to pay for the drink package. Happy sailing.

So many of these comments are pre April refurbishment so are totally irrelevant. I so wish people would only respond when their answers are actually accurate!! RANT![emoji18]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shall I delete my response to Ontariotraveler? where is your review- I'd like to read about your updated experience?

Many changes since you were on Jewel in 2014.

Jewel has never had a Park Cafe w/buffet lunch and still doesn't after her refurb. There is a Pizzeria in the Solarium and it does serve Roast Beef sandwiches.

[ATTACH]394341[/ATTACH]

The Seaview Cafe is now Izumi....a pay restaurant.

[ATTACH]394342[/ATTACH]

So.....two changes? And yes, Oasis has an actual "Park cafe" location. On the Jewel, Brilliance, and enchantment the Solarium had an area that they set up for late night snacks,during the day serve food items as Park Cafe- the Kemmelwick sandwiches. That;s all I was trying to convey, along with trying to be positive.

Edited by mimirdh