Study: 19.1% of Passengers Sneak Alcohol on a Cruise; Progreso Named Least Favorite P

CineGraphic

Slight correction, (but potentially very meaningful). The survey asked people if they have ever snuck alcohol onto a cruise, not whether they currently sneak alcohol onto cruises. So the 19% represents the percentage of people who have, not the percentage of people who do. There are a lot of things that, if answering honestly, I would have to admit to having done in the past that I no longer do. :rolleyes:

Slight correction, (but potentially very meaningful). The survey asked people if they have ever snuck alcohol onto a cruise, not whether they currently sneak alcohol onto cruises. So the 19% represents the percentage of people who have, not the percentage of people who do. There are a lot of things that, if answering honestly, I would have to admit to having done in the past that I no longer do. :rolleyes:

It was also a very small sample.

Not a very scientific study--small sample, did not specify length of cruise or number of persons in the party in the cost question, seemed to focus on Caribbean cruises but left out major Caribbean ports while listing some I'd never heard of, asked if people "ever" snuck on alcohol as opposed to "within the last year," and no stratification by age or choice of cruise line. I'd expect that a lot more people try to sneak alcohol onto Carnival than Cunard, for example. And probably more people did it in the past than now.

A huge part of the problem with any cruise survey is that different demographics choose different lines. The same can be said for people with different interests.

Edited by moki'smommy

I'd expect that a lot more people try to sneak alcohol onto Carnival than Cunard' date=' for example. [/quote']

I'm not sure that sneaking alcohol onto a Cunard ship is even a "thing". They have a very oddly worded policy.

We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your voyage. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.

Edited by JimmyVWine

i'm simply too lazy to try and sneak alcohol.

i got myself the drink package this cruise because i want to try things, and they don't have a everything non-alcoholic drink package or i would have done that. i expect most of my drinks will actually be premium non alcoholic ones like fancy coffees and perrier. i'm absolutely addicted to sparkling mineral water.

i LOVE drinking, but i also don't need to drink to have fun. that said i've been browsing the drink list here planning out my drinks. i can't wait to get a Caipirinha when i board.

Edited by vampiress

I'm not sure that sneaking alcohol onto a Cunard ship is even a "thing". They have a very oddly worded policy.

We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your voyage. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.

Wow, I like Cunard's wording. Basically, if you bring too much or can't hold your liquor, we'll take your booze away.

Not a very scientific study--small sample' date=' did not specify length of cruise or number of persons in the party in the cost question, seemed to focus on Caribbean cruises but left out major Caribbean ports while listing some I'd never heard of, asked if people "ever" snuck on alcohol as opposed to "within the last year," and no stratification by age or choice of cruise line. I'd expect that a lot more people try to sneak alcohol onto Carnival than Cunard, for example. And probably more people did it in the past than now.

A huge part of the problem with any cruise survey is that different demographics choose different lines. The same can be said for people with different interests.[/quote']

Based on some of the questions in the survey (alcohol, sex and drug use) I suspect the audience was not the typical cruiser, but a younger, more party type crowd. I was amused about the "biggest frustration" question resulting in almost a quarter of the respondents complaining about "excess gratuities" and "hidden fees". That tells me this survey wasn't aimed at the serious cruising community, but to those who see cruising as a spring break kind of experience.

question resulting in almost a quarter of the respondents complaining about "excess gratuities" and "hidden fees". That tells me this survey wasn't aimed at the serious cruising community, but to those who see cruising as a spring break kind of experience.

I think many (most? all?) the correspondents here view themselves

as 'serious cruisers'.

There is currently, and is frequently, a thread complaining about gratuities.

Based on some of the questions in the survey (alcohol, sex and drug use) I suspect the audience was not the typical cruiser, but a younger, more party type crowd. I was amused about the "biggest frustration" question resulting in almost a quarter of the respondents complaining about "excess gratuities" and "hidden fees". That tells me this survey wasn't aimed at the serious cruising community, but to those who see cruising as a spring break kind of experience.

Yeah, I read one of those discussions concerning "hidden costs on cruises" and wondered "What sort of dummy wouldn't do their homework and know about these in advance?"

I was commenting on the survey's participants, not on the readers of this forum.

The implication of your conclusion is that only "non-serious" cruisers complain about gratuities. What pablo222 was driving at is that the folks here consider themselves to be, (and might actually, objectively be) "serious" cruisers. Yet they complain about gratuities all the time. So there must be a flaw in your conclusion. The survey could have been directed at "serious" cruisers and you likely would have gotten the same complaints about gratuities.

Yeah' date=' I read one of those discussions concerning "hidden costs on cruises" and wondered "What sort of dummy wouldn't do their homework and know about these in advance?"[/quote']

From time to time, there are posters here who return from

cruises, and complain about unexpected charges.

I look forward to you calling them on it!

The implication of your conclusion is that only "non-serious" cruisers complain about gratuities. What pablo222 was driving at is that the folks here consider themselves to be, (and might actually, objectively be) "serious" cruisers. Yet they complain about gratuities all the time. So there must be a flaw in your conclusion. The survey could have been directed at "serious" cruisers and you likely would have gotten the same complaints about gratuities.

Personally, I have not read much complaining about gratuities on these boards, at least from the vast majority of posters. Most people understand how the process works, and participate without complaining. In fact, most of the postings seem to indicate that many of posters tend to give MORE than the recommended amounts suggested by the cruise lines.

The vast majority of complaints are by posters from certain countries that don't have the same tipping practices as the cruise lines do. Instead of practicing the "while in Rome, do as the Romans do" philosophy, they complain about having to do something differently than they do at home. I always thought that the whole idea of going on vacation in the first place was to do things differently than at home. ;)

I find this amusing. It honestly depends on where you are sailing whether or not you can bring alcohol back onboard. First off you get one bottle of wine per person when boarding. No hard liquor or beer. When we have cruised in Europe, I have brought back bottles of wine, limoncello, beer, whisky etc in a shopping bag. Note it wasn't all at once and in small quantities at each port. I never hid it. It was quite obvious to the scanners. Now in the Caribbean it seems if I bring 2 diet cokes, I have committed a cardinal sin. So technically I have not snuck alcohol in my packed luggage but blatantly carried onboard.

Personally, I have not read much complaining about gratuities on these boards, at least from the vast majority of posters.

Really? I think there is a law of the universe that all threads, if they are here long enough, devolve into either tipping fights or formal fights. :D Next is the question "When I go to the front desk to remove my gratuities, do I have to wear my tux?" :p

Next is the question "When I go to the front desk to remove my gratuities, do I have to wear my tux?" :p

Or....if I remove my auto-tip and pay gratuities in cash, do I have to tip my servers more on formal nights? And does that answer apply if I snuck a glass of wine into the MDR from my cabin without paying corkage whilst wearing a golf shirt and whale pants? :D

Now in the Caribbean it seems if I bring 2 diet cokes, I have committed a cardinal sin.

Depends on the cruise line.

I see you cruise Carnival a lot.

Their current policy is that you cannot even bring a single bottle of water on board, either at embarkation or at any port during the cruise, even if you bought the bottle from Carnival and took it off the ship with you.

Instead of practicing the "while in Rome, do as the Romans do" philosophy, they complain about having to do something differently than they do at home.

I live in constant fear that these people will come to the the US

and rent -- sorry, hire -- a car. Please, please, please follow the

local customs no matter how different that those of your home

country, and drive to the right.

I consider sneaking alcohol aboard a ship to be a challenge.

You always have to be one step ahead of them. ;)

Haven't lost yet. :D

You would not like P&O then as they let you take it on board and the cabin steward will get you your lemon and ice for your gin and tonic.

Of course you can bring it on board at each port as well.

That would stop your fun.

:) :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

You would not like P&O then as they let you take it on board and the cabin steward will get you your lemon and ice for your gin and tonic.

Of course you can bring it on board at each port as well.

That would stop your fun.

:) :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In that case it would be just like the good old days when you could just throw a bottle in your carry on without concern.