New Mattresses

pincak

Understand Princess is upgrading mattresses on all ships eventually. We are booked on a 28 day Majestic next April. Does anyone know what type of mattress they are upgrading to? We can't sleep on foam mattresses and will probably cancel if that's what will be onboard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Understand Princess is upgrading mattresses on all ships eventually. We are booked on a 28 day Majestic next April. Does anyone know what type of mattress they are upgrading to? We can't sleep on foam mattresses and will probably cancel if that's what will be onboard.

Check out this information.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/princess-luxury-bed/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They are not memory foam, they are a regular 9" mattress and if put together, they add a 1.5 - 2 foam topper to it.

This is from the Coral this past February with the new mattresses.

24774840670_62150d25fc_z.jpgZ37 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Thanks. I watched the video but it doesn't really saying what type of mattress it is, just that's it's luxurious. We've had hotels with luxurious beds that we can't sleep on. Innerspring should be just fine. DH has severe cervical stenosis and had to sit up all night last cruise we took. Mattress on that ship was shot. Not Princess.

The old mattresses were so hard (and often saggy) that I could only sleep 5 hours each night before both my legs would go numb, from the hips down, from the lack of circulation. I would wake up in tears. But I'm an old salt and love the seas so I continued to put up with it. I am so looking forward to the new mattresses.

I'm a memory foam topper person who is really looking forward to the new mattresses. For those who think the mattresses are too soft, though, is leaving the memory foam topper off a consideration? That may turn the mattress back to the harder version that Princess is currently using.

We were on the Royal Princess for two weeks - August 13 to 27th - the mattress and the pillows were the best ever - no complaints here......my expensive mattress at home was the same as the one on the ship !!!

Go Princess...

eclue

Give them a call.

The old mattresses were so hard (and often saggy) that I could only sleep 5 hours each night before both my legs would go numb, from the hips down, from the lack of circulation. I would wake up in tears. But I'm an old salt and love the seas so I continued to put up with it. I am so looking forward to the new mattresses.

We just got off the Anthem of the Seas for just a 9 day cruise. By day 4 my sciatica had come back with a vengeance. I never had any problems with Princess mattresses. When we asked our room steward on the Anthem for an egg crate or something to combat the hardness of the mattress he said they had nothing. So he took one of the comforters and but it under the bottom sheet. I felt like I was in a toaster now sweating from the bottom and the top. That was the first time EVER in our 40+ cruises that we could not wait for it to end. :eek:

• 3 months later...
Just got off the Ruby and omg, most comfy bed ever. And beautiful new duvets and pillows.

I was on the Ruby 12/17-22 and asked the cabin attendant for a topper, he said there already was one on our queen bed. So then I asked him to take the heavy duvet off my side and replace it with just a top sheet so he changed the queen duvet to a twin and added a top sheet to my side. I was too hot and the covers were too heavy. I then asked for extra pillows and I SLEPT ON THE PILLOWS (under the entire length of my body) because the bed hurt my back so much. I couldn't wait to get home to get in my own bed! Now I'm looking at mattress toppers to take on the Caribbean Princess with me next week as I won't be able to stand 8 days on such an uncomfortable bed!

We had the new mattresses on Sun Princess last August. At first I was concerned that it would be too soft, but undeneath that plush top is a beautifully supportive mattress. I slept very well and never woke up with a sore back. Note - we were in an inside cabin so had the beds in twin format.

To the OP, it's likely that a new ship will have all new mattresses.

I had the new mattress on the Emerald last year and LOVED it. My best ever cruise for sleep. I was on the Island in December and she had the old mattress. The cabin steward told me he put a topper on the mattress and it was still very hard. Those nice toppers they added a couple years back are now just a hard compressed mat. Luckily, I brought my own foam topper and folded it in half on my side of the bed. I was okay, but really wished I'd had the new mattress. The turnaround is not happening fast enough for me.

To the OP, it's likely that a new ship will have all new mattresses.

I had the new mattress on the Emerald last year and LOVED it. My best ever cruise for sleep. I was on the Island in December and she had the old mattress. The cabin steward told me he put a topper on the mattress and it was still very hard. Those nice toppers they added a couple years back are now just a hard compressed mat. Luckily, I brought my own foam topper and folded it in half on my side of the bed. I was okay, but really wished I'd had the new mattress. The turnaround is not happening fast enough for me.

I just did a search for Emerald and Mattress and got here. :) I was wondering if Emerald would have the new mattresses this October when we sail. It sounds as if the new mattresses are already in place on Emerald - at least in some cabins - so we should almost certainly have one of the new mattresses in our balcony cabin.

I'm hoping they aren't too soft for us. We use a firm mattress and a soft, squishy mattress causes me intense pain as my back is pretty much trashed. We've never had a bad night's sleep with the old mattresses. It sounds as if this shouldn't be an issue as the foam is only a topper. Hopefully that's the case as 28 nights on an uncomfortable mattress would essentially cripple me. We do have the AIBP (a perk under the Sip and Sail promo) but I don't really want to have to drink myself to sleep each night. Not only would it have other adverse effects but the snoring would likely make my wife extremely unhappy. :eek: