credit card vs obc

emmaasher

Hi just a quick question. i don't have a credit card and don't really want to get one but am worried about the holds on my debit account. I'm wondering if you buy obc do they only start doing the holds once you have used it up? Thanks

It's my understanding that the computer does a daily hold. Not totally sure this is correct.

To be safe, make sure the balance in your debit account is high enough to cover ALL costs plus a little extra.

They put holds on credit cards as well so it doesn't much matter which you use. I like the Princess Rewards card; you get double points for every dollar you spend with Princess and 1 point for everything else. I use it for everything and pay the balance in full each month. You'd be surprised how quickly it can add up.

They run a pending authorization for a transaction daily, basically to ensure you have appropriate funds to cover your bill along the way. Then, at end of cruise, they do an actual charge for the total bill amount

With a CC, the daily pending authorizations make no difference as they're arw simply pending and drop off within a few days to two weeks - they don't impact available credit at all

With a debit card, the pending authorizations can affect your available purchasing power as it ties up actual cash until the authorizations drop off, thus lowering how much $$ you have access to until that time.

The pending authorizations have nothing to do with OBC, etc. They happen daily in different amounts to simply do spot checks..

You don't actually have to put a credit or debit card down at all, you can simply pay in cash. You'll have to top up your account onboard periodically in order to cover onboard expensws. You may or may not need to make an initial deposit at check-in; if you do, it's usually around $300 or so.... If you buy OBC in advance, this will then be used up before the cash you put against your account. And cash or pre-purchase OBC is refunded at end of cruise. If $25 or less it's refunded in cash right there it it's more, it comes via a check about 2-3 weeks later from an accounting firm...

Edited by reedprincess

For what it's worth, our son is in the banking business in the credit and debit card area. His advice is never travel using a debit card, it creates all kinds of hold issues. Also, if stolen your account can be depleted, and it is a more difficult process to get the money back. He always recommends a credit card to his customers for travel purposes. My advice is try to obtain a credit card.