Hurricane Matthew Thread

2thesea

Thank you Skipper.

Now that PC has been ordered to be evacuated by the CEO until the storm passes, DCL need to get their fingers typing quickly and make a statement.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2016/10/us-coast-guard-set-to-close-port-canaveral-on-wednesday-port-ceo-issues-shoreside-evacuation/

Karl Holz needs to step up to the plate and get his troops moving to inform and instruct their guests. (He's probably on vacation somewhere though)

ex techie

Well, here's hoping that DCL does a better job this time than they did on our cruise.

We knew on Thursday that PC was closing at noon on Friday (cruise departure set for Saturday). This was on the TV news, along with warnings of what to expect in the Orlando area. As of Friday morning, the people who are paid by DCL to answer the phones were still insisting that the cruise would go out on Saturday as scheduled. VERY frustrating.

Yes, DCL needs to make an immediate announcement even if it is just "PC is closing and will be unavailable for the cruise on X date. Please stand by for more information as soon as our plans are complete."

No word yet. I think we will be able to depart NYC with out issue BUT where will the Magic go? Seems that the Bahamas to include CC may be hit hard thus leaving us out to sea :( Thought about Bermuda (that wouldn't break my heart) but there is a small system headed that way. Mexico? San Juan? with 8 days can the Magic make it to St Thomas and back? Who knows. Would be nice if DCL at least let us know their thoughts.

I would pack clothes for a new England/ Canadian cruise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well' date=' here's hoping that DCL does a better job this time than they did on our cruise.

We knew on Thursday that PC was closing at noon on Friday (cruise departure set for Saturday). This was on the TV news, along with warnings of what to expect in the Orlando area. As of Friday morning, the people who are paid by DCL to answer the phones were still insisting that the cruise would go out on Saturday as scheduled. VERY frustrating.

Yes, DCL needs to make an immediate announcement even if it is just "PC is closing and will be unavailable for the cruise on X date. Please stand by for more information as soon as our plans are complete."[/quote']

Yep!

and still, just the tiny advisory in the top corner saying

Advisory Message

Tropical Weather Update

October 4, 2016

Disney Cruise Line is closely monitoring tropical weather systems in the Caribbean.

At this time, no itinerary changes have been made to the following sailings:

October 7 – Disney Dream & Disney Magic

October 8 – Disney Fantasy

If needed, we can alter the itinerary of our ships to ensure the safety and comfort of our Guests and Crew. We will provide updates as they are available.

Should be a full front page advisory as of now, and emails and text alerts to every Guest.

Piss poor planning leads to piss poor performance.....

ex techie

Deciding to close the port doesn't happen normally without notifying the major companies before a public statement. I would have thought DCL would have sent emails just after the release it saying an updated itinerary will be sent out shortly.

Deciding to close the port doesn't happen normally without notifying the major companies before a public statement. I would have thought DCL would have sent emails just after the release it saying an updated itinerary will be sent out shortly.

If only Arthur! If only!

If shoreside did half of the things they were supposed to do or said the things they could and should have said, complaints about DCL would more than halve.

They haven't even tweeted, or posted on Facebook about the closure yet.

So slow to react they are almost at a standstill.

I would expect an announcement in maybe 5 hours? (time for the lawyers to finish their dinner and peruse any "official" message to be sent out and remove any liability for a class action law suit.)

ex techie

The problem is that it is after 5pm in Florida. We can't really expect anyone of any authority to be working now. Of course, those who do phone duty will work till late hours. I was actually impressed a couple weeks ago when I called DCL 15 minutes before the phone lines closed and was still on hold when the magic hour came. A few minutes later a very sweet CM came on the phone and assured me that everyone in the queue would be handled; they just cut off any new callers.

I suspect there was a conference call with the port authority, NOAA, USCG, and all major companies in the port around 1 to 2:00 after the data from the 12:00 hurricane hunter flight data was reviewed.

I was expecting DCL to have something saying the updated itineraries will be released tomorrow.

I suspect there was a conference call with the port authority, NOAA, USCG, and all major companies in the port around 1 to 2:00 after the data from the 12:00 hurricane hunter flight data was reviewed.

I was expecting DCL to have something saying the updated itineraries will be released tomorrow.

How cheap are we talking? I don't mind a cruise to no where.

You wouldn't get a cruise at all! Magic is sailing from NY, Wonder's in drydock, Dream is somewhere south (dropped off AIS 16 hrs ago), and the Fantasy (2 mins ago is leaving the Cayman Islands.

No cruising from PC unfortunately.

ex techie

Why don't they just send the Dream to Tampa on Friday?

They have a real cruise ship terminal there. Most passengers will be using the Orlando airport, which isn't that much farther from Tampa than it is from Port Canaveral.

I mean, sure, they'd need to bus around a lot of people, and they'd need to figure out how to make sure that everything they need to put on the boat for the 10/7 cruise makes it to Tampa instead of PC, but it seems like something they could figure out if they start the move now. seems like that would be cheaper than canceling the 10/7 cruise. or worse, repeating the Superstorm Sandy disaster where they damaged their reputation by sailing into a storm to try to keep to their schedule.

We're supposed to be on the Dream Friday 10/7. Will that likely be canceled or port moved?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Unless the hurricane changes course or dies very dramatically, which it looks unlikely, I would say the Dream will be diverted to Galveston possibly.

ex techie

They have a real cruise ship terminal there. Most passengers will be using the Orlando airport, which isn't that much farther from Tampa than it is from Port Canaveral.

I mean, sure, they'd need to bus around a lot of people, and they'd need to figure out how to make sure that everything they need to put on the boat for the 10/7 cruise makes it to Tampa instead of PC, but it seems like something they could figure out if they start the move now. seems like that would be cheaper than canceling the 10/7 cruise. or worse, repeating the Superstorm Sandy disaster where they damaged their reputation by sailing into a storm to try to keep to their schedule.

Because their piers and docks may already be reserved for their regular cruise lines, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL.

ex techie

Unfortunately the Dream will not fit under the Sunshine Skyway.

I've read that the port at Tampa is too small for the Dream/Fantasy. We used Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) when PC was closed.

But....they are closing on Wednesday. PC may be open by the weekend. It's all in "wait and see" land right now.

Oh, I guess Tampa's Sunshine Skyway Bridge is too low.

It still seems to me like they'd want a port in West Florida, even if it's outside that bridge.

PC might be open by Saturday in time for the Fantasy, but the Dream wants a port on Friday morning, and that's when Matthew is expected to be on PC's doorstep.

I've read that the port at Tampa is too small for the Dream/Fantasy. We used Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) when PC was closed.

But....they are closing on Wednesday. PC may be open by the weekend. It's all in "wait and see" land right now.

It's actually a bridge that is the problem. The Sunshine Skyway bridge only has clearance of 174' and the Dream class has an air draft (height in the water) of 188' I believe.

ex techie

I totally agree that the departure from Port Everglades was a disaster from the first minute (transportation from WDW to the port, etc) But better than missing the cruise, I guess.

Even the crew was saying things like "We kept hearing about what was happening to you guys and thinking that if we could just get you on board it would all be fine." And they were right. Once we FINALLY got on board it was a memorable cruise. Best muster drill ever, our favorite server, etc. How can a muster drill be good? Hundreds of dolphins!