Hurricane Matthew Thread

2thesea

Several years ago we were going out on the Magic Presidents Weekend. We were driving to PC and when we popped over the bridge........NO ship to be seen :eek: The Magic had to stay in the CC the night before because of very heavy winds it couldn't leave the dock. DW was great, they paid for our hotel and meals and for those interested Epcot tickets including a meal. What didn't go so smoothly was the next morning the Wonder was also returning - both ships in port at the same time! Wonder docked at the Disney PC Terminal and the Magic over near the commercial docks. They did their best getting personnel and computers there to check us in. It took forever BUT we all kept our sense of humor and had a great cruise!!! AND the treat of having the Wonder and Magic depart together :)

Why don't they just send the Dream to Tampa on Friday?

They have a real cruise ship terminal there. Most passengers will be using the Orlando airport, which isn't that much farther from Tampa than it is from Port Canaveral.

I mean, sure, they'd need to bus around a lot of people, and they'd need to figure out how to make sure that everything they need to put on the boat for the 10/7 cruise makes it to Tampa instead of PC, but it seems like something they could figure out if they start the move now. seems like that would be cheaper than canceling the 10/7 cruise. or worse, repeating the Superstorm Sandy disaster where they damaged their reputation by sailing into a storm to try to keep to their schedule.

A little problem known as the Sunshine Skyway.

Unless the hurricane changes course or dies very dramatically, which it looks unlikely, I would say the Dream will be diverted to Galveston possibly.

ex techie

Galveston would be a logistical nightmare. Just getting that many people a flight to MCO would be messy. I suspect the current cruise would be extended a day or 2 to allow for docking in ft. Lauderdale as long as the Dream can take on supplies in Cozumel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Galveston would be a logistical nightmare. Just getting that many people a flight to MCO would be messy. I suspect the current cruise would be extended a day or 2 to allow for docking in ft. Lauderdale as long as the Dream can take on supplies in Cozumel.

If they do what they have done in the past, then they *could*, with dock availability, dock in Galveston, pick up supplies, allow those that wish to make their own arrangements to fly wherever, and bus them to the airport, then continue the cruise with those wishing to stay FOC.

Happened before. The Magic was running really low on food supplies. The Dream may be better supplied for an extended cruise this time though.

ex techie

We were told that each of the ships sails with supplies for 10 days. Whether this was in effect at the time of the Galveston docking of the Magic, I don't know.

And yes, the Magic used Galveston to resupply, refuel, and allow those who wished to disembark. She was then able to dock at PC as scheduled with those who wished to see their scheduled 7 night cruise continue for a total of 10 nights.

Since the Dream has shorter cruises, if she truly carries supplies for 10 days, she should be fine for now.

Ft. Lauderdale is still open (as of an hour ago). While they are anticipating a closure, they are not announcing a time and are saying that they will remain open as long as the governing bodies permit and will reopen as soon as safety requirements are met.

We were told that each of the ships sails with supplies for 10 days. Whether this was in effect at the time of the Galveston docking of the Magic' date=' I don't know.

And yes, the Magic used Galveston to resupply, refuel, and allow those who wished to disembark. She was then able to dock at PC as scheduled with those who wished to see their scheduled 7 night cruise continue for a total of 10 nights.

Since the Dream has shorter cruises, if she truly carries supplies for 10 days, she should be fine for now.

Ft. Lauderdale is still open (as of an hour ago). While they are anticipating a closure, they are not announcing a time and are saying that they will remain open as long as the governing bodies permit and will reopen as soon as safety requirements are met.[/quote']

All I can say is there might have been Mickey bars and lobster tails upstairs, but down below there were no veggies, no milk and no eggs along with other things as they were "rationed" for our Guests to consume.

And Galveston CBP were A holes to the international crew and did not allow those with a FL issued C1D / I95 visa to be cleared to go ashore. Only US citizens since it was the first time DCL had ported at that destination.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie
CBP added

Having been on a trans-Atlantic cruise that ran out of critical supplies, I do feel for the crew who seem to have been mis-treated in order to keep the guests happy and well fed. I don't know what the situation was when they arrived in Galveston as I wasn't on board. I read that they were able to resupply and refuel there.

Treatment of the crew in Galveston, while shameful, is not DCL's fault. I am sorry that they couldn't have been better advocates for their employees. On the other hand, they were put in the position of negotiating for supplies in order to get everyone back to their home port safely. As is typical, it seems that the crew was not at the top of DCL's list which is truly wrong. With all that needed to be accomplished, how would the crew have had time to go ashore? Or am I just being dense?

Weather channel was coming live for Ft. Lauderdale, but it wasn't Jim Cantory. So the port maybe usable by Friday/ Saturday.

Good point! If he's there you are screwed! We learned that in Panama City one year. He was doing a live shot from the beach. It was cool until we realized we were having to evacuate because of Hurricane Ivan!! Jim Cantore = weather trouble!!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Good point! If he's there you are screwed! We learned that in Panama City one year. He was doing a live shot from the beach. It was cool until we realized we were having to evacuate because of Hurricane Ivan!! Jim Cantore = weather trouble!!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Posted about 8:00 this morning on Jim Cantore's facebook page.

"For those asking, I am still at the studios in Atlanta. Apparently there are a lot of tanned bald guys in SC, NC and FL"

Does that mean the studio is going to get hit?

There is also Mobile, it is deep enough and likely big enough to handle the Dream.

Tampa does not have any port south of the Sunshine Bridge to handle the Dream.

As to food, if worse came to worse, they can easily bring food to the ship by boat or Helo food to the ship

AKK

No word yet. I think we will be able to depart NYC with out issue BUT where will the Magic go? Seems that the Bahamas to include CC may be hit hard thus leaving us out to sea :( Thought about Bermuda (that wouldn't break my heart) but there is a small system headed that way. Mexico? San Juan? with 8 days can the Magic make it to St Thomas and back? Who knows. Would be nice if DCL at least let us know their thoughts.

The Carnival cruise out of Baltimore went north to NYC for the week.

I am on the same cruise leaving Friday, and still no word of re-routing. Our first time cruising too and I am a basket case. :( And as said in previous posts, I don't know where the cruise would even re-route to if they had to. l Canada?! Really no interest in going there. So bummed.

So if both Nassau and CC are damaged, can DCL still do a three night cruise to nowhere? Or are they required to do a foreign port of call? There really isn't anywhere "close" that they can hit on a three night that may night be damaged...

Wasn't the last time Port Canaveral was closed for hurricane was 11 days? I have time before my cruise on the 14th...but uncertainty is apart of traveling during hurricane season.

Hum, at least 2 more free days on the Dream to sail, sign me up.

I don't mind any rocking, it puts me to sleep. 🚢 😴

Rocking is one thing. We sailed out of New York on wedensday and the first day, the seas were fairly rough. I usually sleep well on the ship, but kept getting woken up throughout the night by the tossing and turning.

The Carnival cruise out of Baltimore went north to NYC for the week.

I was listening to a report on GMA this morning. One passenger was upset about being rerouted to New York, feeeling that their happiness was more important than their safety :rolleyes:

I don't remember Port Canaveral being closed for 11 days, but it is possible. Our experience was that it was closed for a few days till the storm went by, but was functioning on schedule the next week (we returned to PC after our altered cruise).

As to why DCL has not released info on a cruise due to depart in 2 days--likely they are still working out the details while watching what the storm will do. My personal opinion is that they should release what they know...something like "The Dream will be departing from X; details of the cruise to follow." But again, that would probably just upset some people, and my reading would imply that they are hoping PC will reopen by Friday.

Yes, they can do a cruise to nowhere. I don't know the legal details (how they make it work), but they have done a cruise to nowhere at least once and it seems that in a weather situation, most requirements can be suspended. Passengers on the cruise to nowhere got their full cruise fare applied to another cruise.

I am on the same cruise leaving Friday, and still no word of re-routing. Our first time cruising too and I am a basket case. :( And as said in previous posts, I don't know where the cruise would even re-route to if they had to. l Canada?! Really no interest in going there. So bummed.

Your cruise is NOT happening on Friday. If you have insurance, you might want to open a claim.

So if both Nassau and CC are damaged, can DCL still do a three night cruise to nowhere? Or are they required to do a foreign port of call? There really isn't anywhere "close" that they can hit on a three night that may night be damaged...

Wasn't the last time Port Canaveral was closed for hurricane was 11 days? I have time before my cruise on the 14th...but uncertainty is apart of traveling during hurricane season.

Passenger and vessel safety trump the Jones Act. So it can be a cruise to no where if safety is an issue.

If PC is still closed, the ships could be docking else where and a different foreign port might be available.

Do you have this from DCL? Is it canceled or altered?

No' date=' the cruise is not happening AS PLANNED, but do you know that it isn't happening at all?[/quote']

So be my guest to explain how it is happening. All east coast ports will be closed south of and including Charleston. The ship can't fit under the Sunshine Skyway. Busing people to Mobile or NOLA or Galveston is ridiculous to even think about, and let's be real, getting people there via air is not going to happen.

So where is this mystery port unaffected by Matthew that passengers will actually be able to show up at going to appear?

I suspect the Magic out of NYC will sail on time but will have a last minute decision made on ports. Depending on the hurricane forecast it could make the cruise up into NE/Canada or go to Puerto Rico. I would take clothes for both directions. Sailing to PR and back in the 7 days might be a a rougher riding cruise since she would have to sale straight there and back with minimal course deviation to find calmer waters.

The Fantasty, should be able to make the Virgin Island ports but she might not sail out of PC.

The Dream 3 day, everything is up in the air for her.

The GFS model (most accurate for the last few years) is calling for a power up loop off of the Carolina's in the warm/ deep gulf stream and then running across the middle to south of Florida. Mathew is being to be a PIA for a long time.