Picking up Hertz car rental in Miami after Reflection cruise

crusingatthebuffet

I'll be picking up a rental car from Hertz at the downtown/Miami cruise port location after our cruise in November. Everything I've seen about this is a total nightmare, and it has me a little concerned. Does anyone have any experience dealing with this location, and do you have any suggestions as far as taking a taxi/waiting for the shuttle, and is there any advantage to trying to get off the ship as early as possible? (if taking the shuttle, does it not matter if the Hertz shuttle waits for other people anyways?)

Any input is appreciated.

I picked up a car from this location after a cruise from port of Miami a few years back. I just stuck with the disembarkation number assigned. Then when we were all the way out of the building I called the number and the shuttle arrived a short time later. I didn't think it was a night mare, all went pretty smoothly for us.

We always use Hertz. All Hertz locations we have used throughout the US have been great EXCEPT Miami.

Our last three Miami cruises using Hertz for departure have been a nightmare.

Taxi is the better option. Shuttle is not reliable. Possible multiple ships result in full shuttles, missed stops and long delays.

Once at the Hertz facility, your only salvation is if you are a Hertz GOLD CLUB reservation, and even then you can plan on a minimum 45 minutes for counter service to get your car. NO GOLD CLUB reservation much longer.

Unfortunately Hertz has no other options unless you take a taxi to the airport to get your car.

Even with these obstacles, we are still loyal HERTZ customers. We have just learned to work the system and relax.

Bob

We always pick up our rental cars at the airport. In January, we were in a cab on the way to the airport by 8:30 and driving off in our rental car by 9:15. We had priority disembarkation because we were in a suite (this was on NCL). Couldn't be easier and much better than dealing with the mess downtown.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Post cruise in 2014 we needed a car and made the mistake of reserving with Hertz- we usually have good experiences with them so didnt research on line like I usually do. They do have a free shuttle which picks up at POM to go to the downtown location. We waited about 20 min for the shuttle (watching several full ones go by before being picked up. No one answered the phone at their downtown location when we tried to find out when the next shuttle would be dispatched. Once we arrived at the rental location we waited well over 1 hour in line at the office for a car. Gold member line was as slow as the non gold. Very disappointing!

We always use Hertz. All Hertz locations we have used throughout the US have been great EXCEPT Miami.

Our last three Miami cruises using Hertz for departure have been a nightmare.

Taxi is the better option. Shuttle is not reliable. Possible multiple ships result in full shuttles, missed stops and long delays.

Once at the Hertz facility, your only salvation is if you are a Hertz GOLD CLUB reservation, and even then you can plan on a minimum 45 minutes for counter service to get your car. NO GOLD CLUB reservation much longer.

Unfortunately Hertz has no other options unless you take a taxi to the airport to get your car.

Even with these obstacles, we are still loyal HERTZ customers. We have just learned to work the system and relax.

Bob

Sorry to the OP, but I completely agree with you Bob.

2 years ago, waited at least an hour and a half for the Hertz shuttle at PoM (other car hire shuttles seemed to be a lot more frequent) and then waited about the same time in the hire office. So from getting off the ship at about 8:00 we finally drove out of the garage at noon. We WON'T be doing that again in a hurry!

I found it interesting to read this thread as we made the terrible mistake several years ago of returning a Hertz rental car to this downtown Miami location before boarding the Eclipse. It was THE WORST experience we have ever had with a rental car location, then or since. We determined right then that we'd never patronize this location again, and that seems to have been wise.

In every other rental location we'd ever been at that point, when you returned a rental car, an agent in the garage with a handheld device would check in the car, give you a receipt, and you'd be on your way in minutes. Not so then (maybe even now, who knows) at Hertz in downtown Miami. We drove the car in and then were told we had to get out, take all our luggage down to the street level office, and wait in the SAME line with people trying to rent cars, even though returning a car is a quick transaction and renting can take forever. And so it took forever for us to return the car.

It was stupid, needless, and horrific. Shame on whoever runs this location.

Edited to add: We've also decided over the years that there are good alternatives to Hertz, Alamo being one of them. (I'm speaking generally, not about Miami.)

Edited by Turtles06

Based on our experience on a couple of cruises, I can't give you any positive comments about the Hertz downtown location and their port shuttle. My advice is to go with the rental agency that gives you the best deal...and then just tolerate whatever happens. Eventually, you will get a car. Since I have a very good corporate deal with Hertz, I haven't tried the others...so can't offer any advice other than the "grin and bear it" comment.

Thanks everyone for the input so far....overall it doesn't sound too good.

In your opinion then is the airport the best place for getting a car, or this there another location with a different company that is close to the cruise port that is worth a shot as well? I saw in one of your comments that Avis is close.....

Last time in Miami, they had a free bus that would take you from the pier to a centralized rental car location near the airport terminal.

That bus is for those with reservations with National, Alamo & Thrifty. Show your reservation papers to the driver.

Taxi from POM to MIA is $27+tip - you might get a better deal at the airport and for sure you will get better service.

Good luck! :)

We used the downtown Avis on 2nd Ave. at 1st street after four of us arrived on a transatlantic to Miami. Don't recall any delays or hassles, and it was very close to Dodge Island.

Before using any airport location for a car rental, it's worth asking what the concession fee added on will cost.

We are Hertz Gold, but never use them in Miami. It is simple economics and we can usually get much better prices (and service) from Alamo out at the airport. They provide free shuttle service and, like Hertz, have a bypass the counter option.

Hank