Hurricane Matthew headed for Half Moon Cay

Sopwith

Hi-

Although I am far more concerned with the human impact Matthew is having on the people of Haiti right now by tomorrow it will be laying waste to Half Moon Cay or Little San Salvador and the rest of the Bahamas. They can expect a 10-15 ft storm surge with 25 ft waves on top of that plus 130+mph winds. Little Half Moon Cay doesn't stand a chance, since the Carnival Corp. owns the island I'm assuming they will rebuild, but I would expect it to be out of service for quite some time.

-Paul

There is another thread already started on this subject.

But based on projected path, all structures on the island will be gone.

Several years ago a small storm passed by the east side of the island and took all the beach sand from a small beach 5 minutes from the main beach. Only thing left are rocks.

Here is the thread on the exact same topic that has been on the front page of this board for several days now:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2408019

There is discussion there about past hurricanes that have impacted HMC, and the resulting damage, and outcomes. Possibly not as dire as you are proposing...

Edited by CruiserBruce

. Possibly not as dire as you are proposing...

I hope you are right but I have lived in Florida most of my life and not only seen but been involved in reconstruction from Hurricanes Andrew and Charley, both Cat 4 storms. If Mathew passes to the west of or over HMC as a Cat 4, the only thing left maybe the concrete pads of the pavilions.

It looks like it will be a Cat. 4 passing very close or even a direct hit on HMC. HMC will be wiped out completely and out of commission for most likely the 2016/17 Caribbean season.

Let's not forget that a Hurricane is an annoyance for cruisers but it is absolutely life challenging for people who live there.

-Paul

Edited by kangforpres

It looks like it will be a Cat. 4 passing very close or even a direct hit on HMC. HMC will be wiped out completely and out of commission for most likely the 2016/17 Caribbean season.

Let's not forget that a Hurricane is an annoyance for cruisers but it is absolutely life challenging for people who live there.

-Paul

Just checked a Bahamas map for orientation. I suspect if one hears it hits Nassau or Eleuthera badly, HMC will take a similar hit. Did it not get hit and stripped of most vegetation a few years back?

We are heading this way soon, but your reminder is spot on - there are people who call this place home who are under real threat. We are just occasional transitory squatters. Maybe this is why it was an "abandoned island" before it became HMC - gorgeous as it is.

Edited by OlsSalt

Our cruise is scheduled to be at HMC Oct 20.. If Mathew hits there tomorrow assume it will be another sea day, as can't figure out where else our ship could port..

Only hope that all those who live in the Bahamas & also those who are in Mathew's direct path in Florida remain safe! Saying a prayer for you all..

Hopefully those in the direct path will go into a safe area.. Don't try to be a Hero.. Take it from someone who refused to leave during Hurricane Gloria in Sept, 1985, when the fire Dept. told us to evacuate..

DH refused to leave our Long Beach, L.I. home & I also refused to leave him & our two dogs.. Gloria hit us head on!... I can tell you we were both nervous & very sorry when the canal we were on, rose up more than 10 feet over the bulkhead & came within inches of our back door.. We put all our furniture up on horses, etc. but stupidly stayed in the house..For me that was terribly frightening, as I can't swim!

Never again! If we're ever told to evacuate, we'll take our animals & go!

Edited by serendipity1499

As of 2 PM Mathew was approximately 135 miles south of HMC and based on current speed and direction will be passing 50-75 miles from the island in next 12 hours. Maybe the damage will not be significant.

and had a protected building to store all the lounges and clam shells. I doubt if this will be a stop for several months. Seems like all the cruise lines are moving their ships over to Yucatan areas until next week.

The question of what happens to the horses always comes up when HMC is hit with a storm.

In the past the horses are set free and they seek refuge on their own and always appear to do OK.

Landmarks to listen for that are close by: Nassau and Eleuthera Island. If they get hit, most likely HMC will be too.

That's what I was thinking too! It's near Long Island now so I would think it would go over HMC sometime tonight. So sad for all in the path of Matthew!

I hope you are right but I have lived in Florida most of my life and not only seen but been involved in reconstruction from Hurricanes Andrew and Charley, both Cat 4 storms. If Mathew passes to the west of or over HMC as a Cat 4, the only thing left maybe the concrete pads of the pavilions.

Andrew was a strong category 5 when it made landfall in FL.

Here in central FL, schools are closing for tomorrow and Friday and store shelves are empty.

Andrew was a strong category 5 when it made landfall in FL.

Here in central FL, schools are closing for tomorrow and Friday and store shelves are empty.

You are correct. Andrew Cat 5. Incredible destruction.

I was watching local weather at noon today and they showed a hurricane model that showed Mathew just off the Florida coast and during next 7 days doing a loop to loop and back in the Bahamas next week. Let's hope this is wrong !

You are correct. Andrew Cat 5. Incredible destruction.

I was watching local weather at noon today and they showed a hurricane model that showed Mathew just off the Florida coast and during next 7 days doing a loop to loop and back in the Bahamas next week. Let's hope this is wrong !

Yes, I have seen that, too. Let's hope that forecast is wrong or will change; only one model was showing that last night and now a few are. :eek: Plus, after it would hit the Bahamas again, it'd hit FL again.

Edited by hrhdhd

Long Island???

Yes, there is a Long Island somewhere in the Bahamas as well as in New York..

When we told someone many years ago where we lived, they thought we meant the Bahamas.. :confused: LOL

We lived on New York's Long Island.. But we did extensive sailing in the Bahamas with members of our sailing club after we moved to Florida.. One time several of us anchored in New Found Harbor which is off the coast of Long Island, the Bahamas..

Edited by serendipity1499

It would be v ery rarew for a hurrican hitat aRUBA or Curacao. It happens b ut not often. I see you wrote /well nortrh and west of ABS'c.

Agree, normally ABC islands are out of hurricane zone. But DH just read on Weather Chanel that Matthew is lowest latitude hurricane EVER in Atlantic. Winds picking up again and starting to make northern turn. Will just have to see where it goes. Looks like Jamaica and Cuba and Haiti could get hit hard. Just pray it gets weaker before gets there.

Jane

OH My...I never even thought about the ABC islands.. We actually leave two weeks from today & going to Aruba, Curacao & Columbia as well as HMC on our way to the Panama Canal..

Al the cruise lines have suspended service till the storm passes Florida, so we'll just have to wait & see where the storm goes before we start to book our land tours..

Hurricane MATTHEW Public Advisory

WTNT34 KNHC 060556

TCPAT4

BULLETIN

HURRICANE MATTHEW INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 32A

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL142016

200 AM EDT THU OCT 06 2016

...MATTHEW POUNDING PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS...

...EXPECTED TO INTENSIFY AS IT APPROACHES FLORIDA...

SUMMARY OF 200 AM EDT...0600 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...23.7N 76.7W

ABOUT 100 MI...160 KM SSE OF NASSAU

ABOUT 295 MI...480 KM SE OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 320 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...954 MB...28.17 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS

--------------------

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

None.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/060252.shtml

Florida landfall will be somewhere around Vero Beach it appears, winds I'd guess in the core will be 145 mph. Matthew then rides up the coast and batters the Georgia coastline, barrier islands, then shifts east but still hits the coastal SC/NC areas pretty hard.

Hopefully Matthew can stay just offshore enough so the hurricane-forced winds don't reach the populated coastal areas (so say 50+ miles offshore).

Best wishes to all our Florida, Georgia, NC and SC posters.

Hurricane MATTHEW Public Advisory

WTNT34 KNHC 060556

TCPAT4

BULLETIN

HURRICANE MATTHEW INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 32A

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL142016

200 AM EDT THU OCT 06 2016

...MATTHEW POUNDING PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS...

...EXPECTED TO INTENSIFY AS IT APPROACHES FLORIDA...

SUMMARY OF 200 AM EDT...0600 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...23.7N 76.7W

ABOUT 100 MI...160 KM SSE OF NASSAU

ABOUT 295 MI...480 KM SE OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 320 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...954 MB...28.17 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS

--------------------

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

None.