Hurricane Matthew headed for Half Moon Cay

Sopwith

Just watched the hurricane prediction. Consensus is drifting a little more east of HMC. Again, that would put HMC in the left front quadrant...preferred as that is the weaker side. Predicted to be a Cat 2 as it passes.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I am scheduled to be at HMC on 10/17 aboard the Sensation. Does anyone know how long it takes them to reopen the island after a hurricane? I have never missed HMC on my previous three cruises that have stopped there. And HMC is definitely the highlight of my upcoming cruise. Would really suck to miss it.

Ok y'all alarmist; Redneck Bob reporting from Florida.

Though it currently may appear that Matt may pass near HMC, it may not impact it at all. That's why 5 days out we have a bubble of uncertainty. In Florida they tell us not to concentrate on the plotted path because it could be in error over 200 miles 5 days out.

It even could come into Florida. Holy c__p ! I better head towards Canada :eek:

Don't move to the Maritimes then -tropical storms, hurricanes, etc. Are the bane of our Fall season. This one is being watched already. Hopefully it heads out to the ocean and dissipates. It's really hard to track these things.

I am scheduled to be at HMC on 10/17 aboard the Sensation. Does anyone know how long it takes them to reopen the island after a hurricane? I have never missed HMC on my previous three cruises that have stopped there. And HMC is definitely the highlight of my upcoming cruise. Would really suck to miss it.

It all depends on what damage it sustains, and how long it takes to fix it. The hurricane 3 or so years ago, with a little damage, I believe they were calling again within 10 days.

We are 8 for 8 in getting on the island, but the closest to hurricane season we have gone in mid December.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It's really hard to track these things.

Absolutely !

I live in the Tampa Bay Area and I can't tell you how many times our area was in the bullseye of the storm five days out only to have the storm pass 100-200 miles from us.

Hurricane Charley is best example. Two days out Tampa was in cross hairs. At last minute made a right turn 100 miles south and traveled through central Florida

Now well north and west of the ABC's and South America coast - and tracking further away every hour.

It would be v ery rarew for a hurrican hit a aRUBA or Curacao. It happens b ut not opften. I see you wrote /well nortrh and wsest of ABS'c.

Now well north and west of the ABC's and South America coast - and tracking further away every hour.

It would be v ery rarew for a hurrican hitat aRUBA or Curacao. It happens b ut not often. I see you wrote /well nortrh and west of ABS'c.

Absolutely !

I live in the Tampa Bay Area and I can't tell you how many times our area was in the bullseye of the storm five days out only to have the storm pass 100-200 miles from us.

Hurricane Charley is best example. Two days out Tampa was in cross hairs. At last minute made a right turn 100 miles south and traveled through central Florida

How well we remember that! We were ready to evacuate and head to Orlando. And, then . . . Orlando got socked.

It's been a while since we've had a big one...we have a trailer at the coast...north of Myrtle...dh just asked how much insurance do we have:D I have no idea...positive thoughts for everyone on the east coast...really hoping it turns northward and out to sea...and hope it does not hit HMC...or anywhere else for that matter...We have the Grand Oasis for our cruise in January:)

Agree, normally ABC islands are out of hurricane zone. But DH just read on Weather Chanel that Matthew is lowest latitude hurricane EVER in Atlantic. Winds picking up again and starting to make northern turn. Will just have to see where it goes. Looks like Jamaica and Cuba and Haiti could get hit hard. Just pray it gets weaker before gets there.

Jane

Agree, normally ABC islands are out of hurricane zone. But DH just read on Weather Chanel that Matthew is lowest latitude hurricane EVER in Atlantic. Winds picking up again and starting to make northern turn. Will just have to see where it goes. Looks like Jamaica and Cuba and Haiti could get hit hard. Just pray it gets weaker before gets there.

Jane

Yep, despite the naysayers, even Colombia and Venezuela took damage from Matthew, and there was a fatality. So I am guessing the ABC island took some significant storm impact. As I mentioned before, the ABC islands were covered under a Tropical Storm warning.

Disney's Castaway Cay has been evacuated, Matthew is gong to hit it directly it appears. I can't recal where HMC is in relation.

Latest models have Matthew skimming eastern Florida then raking the SC coast as it hooks out to sea.

Matthew just completed the ERC and pressure is down to 935.4mb. Entering incredibly favorable territory for strengthening, he has a better shot at hitting HMC as a Cat 5 then a Cat 3 IMO.

Say a prayer for Haiti. They will see devastating flooding.

Disney's Castaway Cay has been evacuated, Matthew is gong to hit it directly it appears. I can't recal where HMC is in relation.

Latest models have Matthew skimming eastern Florida then raking the SC coast as it hooks out to sea.

HMC, aka Little San Salvador, is between the south end of Eleuthera and the north end of Cat Island. Current predictions are for a direct hit on HMC sometime late Wednesday or Thursday.