Matthew turning toward GSC

BirdTravels

GSC is currently closed for refirb. No ships calling there now.

It looks like it is in the direct path of what will likely be a cat 4 hurricane. I hope I am wrong, but I would not expect it to reopen for at least 3 or 4 more months after this storm finishes blowing through. Looks like it is likely to be a rebuild from the ground up. Storm surges in the 10 foot range may put the whole place underwater.

Edited by zqvol

I am cruising on Breakaway and it was suppose to go to the Island Nov 2nd. Are you saying you feel that will not happen? What are the alternatives does anyone know how this works?

Yes, hubby and I thought it would not reopen in time anyway before Hurricane Matthew. Now that it appears GSC will be hit hard, most likely our ship (the Sky) will be at sea.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Hard to tell until after the storm, but a hurricane of this magnitude can move (or erase) an entire beach. After Emily, cancun had to barge in sand because coastline was geographically changed. I'm scheduled for GSC in December and am prepared for an altered itinerary.

Personally, I'm on the epic and interested to see how port Canaveral will fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Personally, I'm on the epic and interested to see how port Canaveral will fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we are going to be on the Epic as well and even though we are still 38 days out, I'm wondering how PC will be along with GSC. :( I hope it takes a turn and goes back out to sea and I hope everyone remains safe.

well, there goes our new year's eve visit to GSC :(

We're supposed to be there the week before you. I've got my fingers crossed that the island will be open by then, since we're already on an altered 'holiday' itinerary with only Nassau and an at-sea as our other days. No idea what they'd replace GSC with in that situation.

Miami, as well as the rest of the East Florida ports are closed. The only Fl. port open is Tampa. The ships will be staying at sea or their current port until the ports reopen, and that's unknown right now.It's up to the Coast Guard.

We are going on the Breakaway out of NYC 11/6. Would they change island stops if there is damage to GSC or the Bahamas? Certainly we wouldn't be forced to cruise the whole time with sea days would we?

Has anyone dealt with a situation such as this?

Brian - Litchfield County Connecticut

Future Cruises-

Nov. 6, 2016 - NCL - Breakaway

Apr. 9, 2017 - RCCL - Oasis of the Seas

Past Cruises-

Jan. 23, 2015 - RCCL - Quantum

Dec. 12, 2013 - RCCL - Explorer of the Sea

Dec. 2, 2012 - NCL - Jewel

Jan. 8, 2012 - NCL - Gem

We are going on the Breakaway out of NYC 11/6. Would they change island stops if there is damage to GSC or the Bahamas? Certainly we wouldn't be forced to cruise the whole time with sea days would we?

Has anyone dealt with a situation such as this

Your cruise is a month away. Lots of time to get things fixed up. All three of your ports will have taken a direct hit (Matthew making landfall near port Canaveral). Not to worry.

A long, long time ago, NYC sailings on the GEM used to call on Miami as one of the stops - NCL can substitute that for PC and/or GSC - in addition to perhaps an overnight stop in Nassau ... pending damage assessment & post hurricane recovery.

Let's hope Matthew's boomerang spin next week won't cause more damages to the Bahamas as it's projected to weaken to "just" a tropical storm ... eye of the storm is now pulling away from the Grand Bahamas and aiming for the U.S. mainland, landfall in about 6 hours somewhere near Coca Beach and/or Melbourne - practically ground zero as in PC.

Nassau remained without electricity with planned shutdown last night and our thoughts are for those on the main islands, GSC's recovery is secondary and first world problem ... with almost 300 deaths thus far confirmed, attributed to the storm.

Your cruise is a month away. Lots of time to get things fixed up. All three of your ports will have taken a direct hit (Matthew making landfall near port Canaveral). Not to worry.

So are you saying that if Matthew hits PC head on and destroys it, they will be able to rebuild by next month in order to start cruising from there again? If they didn't, would they just change the home port to another place like Miami?