Port Canaveral CLOSED

You two going to stay put or heading West? Thoughts are with you. Just heard from Miami friend and she is in Spain headed to France and is frantic as her home had a lot of damage from Andrew, yes the famous Andrew.

We're hanging in.

I need to document it 😱

I even have hurricane mix.

962c72226cfd7c17a4ed39364247c076.jpg

It was nice today

7a7d07ef8c7f2852b9971ed406de2ebb.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

We're hanging in.

I need to document it 😱

Hoping the best for you. You did a great review of the Freedom a couple weeks ago.

Will you start a "live" hurricane thread and keep us posted that you are ok??

Maybe I'll periscope. Laura would probably kill me.

You may be able to get semi live views from my webcam

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4n5Wk

not sure if it will survive anything severe. I need to contact Bloomsky and see if they are willing to replace it if I keep it up.

I could only find an online calendar that ended Sept 30, 2016. What ships might this effect in the coming week?

Pretty much the same as the September calendar

Thursday - Carnival Victory

Friday - Disney Dream and Majesty

Saturday - Disney Fantasy and Carnival Magic

Sunday - Carnival Valor, Victory and Freedom

I don't know of any Port of Call ships

John- please keep us posted. My husband and I bought just bought a home in Rockledge so we're neighbors.[emoji4] We just flew home to our house in PA and we're nervous. I am following you on Instagram (cute little Westie!) and hope you all stay safe.

Linda

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe I'll periscope. Laura would probably kill me.

You may be able to get semi live views from my webcam

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4n5Wk

not sure if it will survive anything severe. I need to contact Bloomsky and see if they are willing to replace it if I keep it up.

If we were closer we'd offer you refuge. I saved your web camera page, but in the meantime you two stay safe.

Port Canaveral will close at noon on Wednesday.

Port Canaveral has issued an evacuation order for landside operations and the port will officially close at noon on Wednesday due to Hurricane Matthew.

In addition to the land-side evacuation, the U.S. Coast Guard has given notice that the Canaveral harbor will close by tomorrow afternoon. Under the Captain of the Port order, no vessel traffic–including cruise and cargo ships, as well as recreational and commercial fishing boats –will be allowed in harbor until after the storm passes and the order is lifted.

This is the first time since 2004 that Port Canaveral has shut down operations due to severe weather. In 2004, the ship’s harbor was shut closed for 11 days to ship traffic.

John Murray, CEO of Port Canaveral, gave the following statement: “This is a serious storm and the protection of people and property is our primary concern. We expect high winds and storm surge throughout the port and have urged the Port community to prepare their facilities so business can resume as quickly as possible after the storm.”

Hurricane Matthew has already caused several cruise lines to alter cruise itineraries in the Caribbean and Bahamas. The hurricane currently has maximum sustained winds of 140 mph and is expected to move over the Bahamas and up the Florida coast over the next few days.

Maybe I'll periscope. Laura would probably kill me.... .

Laura can hold the phone and you can do one of those Weather Channel type reports from the eye of the hurricane.;)

Edited by clarea

If Matthew clears out by the start of the day on Saturday, it could be a very busy day at PC. If the port stays closed till Saturday morning you could have 5 cruise ships doing a turnaround on Saturday. Which means every turnaround Terminal will have a ship. That is if they do not go to Tampa on Thursday or Friday.

If we were closer we'd offer you refuge. I saved your web camera page, but in the meantime you two stay safe.

Very kind of you.

A good part of Ontario takes refuge here in the winter. 😉

We need to make sure we take care of the place so they have somewhere to go.

The weather cam is outside of the shutters. I'll keep it active as long as I can. It could become a projectile. 😱

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Edited by John&LaLa

If Matthew clears out by the start of the day on Saturday, it could be a very busy day at PC. If the port stays closed till Saturday morning you could have 5 cruise ships doing a turnaround on Saturday. Which means every turnaround Terminal will have a ship. That is if they do not go to Tampa on Thursday or Friday.

I tend to agree with your thoughts. I suspect that the weather expected across the state PC to TPA along IH4 more or less, probably dictates what they do. If it's terrible weather I doubt they will try to bus folks and with PC being closed I don't know folks could get to their parked cars and those coming in to sail wouldn't be able to park and ride a bus out to Tampa. Given the news on the PC closure, I suspect they will hold ships out at sea a day or two extra, possibly if there is big damage then debarking down South or up North in JAX.

Will be interesting to see, but then again the weather will make many more stories in Florida other than just the affected cruise ships, as the storm seems to be heading closer to land in Florida than it was a couple days ago.

Best wishes to all Floridians who will be affected by the storm.

We're hanging in.

I need to document it 😱

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

John, just go to the Sandbar and get the appropriate category!

Seriously, pleas take care and take precautions.

M

John, just go to the Sandbar and get the appropriate category!

Seriously, pleas take care and take precautions.

M

I think Sandbar is in for some serious pounding. Looks like zero hour is sometime Thursday evening. I'm guessing between 4pm and midnight is going to be the worst. We face southeast so the wind is going to be intense

Thanks again to everyone thinking about us.

I don't see Tampa as an option. Most of these ships are too big to get under the bridge. And I doubt they'd spend the effort with the ship, plus transporting passengers. Ships will stay away, abound then make their way back as soon as port reopens.

T10 is out of commission right now in preparation for Epic this fall. Not sure if they can take passengers.