Have you ever cruised with something broken?

Hflors

This morning I fell, I broke my right elbow, busted up my right knee, and sprained my left thumb. we leave in 3 weeks for a 42 day cruise,

any suggestions are welcome

sorry for the non caps I only have my left forfinger to type

Edited by Hflors

We went on a cruise in 2012 and my husband had a tib/fib fracture in his leg and a broken ankle. We borrowed one of those knee scooters from a friend and he got along just fine. It was such a bad break he couldn't put weight on his leg for 12 weeks and then he had an additional 4 weeks of physical therapy. He was in a soft cast when we were on the cruise so he was able to take it off and use the hydro pool and get some walking in (doctor ok'd)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cruiser Andi

I feel for you and you have my sympathy. I have broken my elbow twice, but never before a cruise! My elbow was not plastered, but wrapped up and in a sling. I was still not allowed to straighten it to begin with. You need to check with your Dr. on the correct procedure to follow especially if you are going to be away for so long. I had to go back every week and he "straightened" the arm a little more each time.

With regard cruising, I guess it could depend on how port intensive your cruise is and how mobile you need to be, and whether or not there is much walking involved. You still have three weeks in which your thumb and knee should be nearly healed.

On the positive side, there is no cooking, washing up or housekeeping to do! You could look at it as enforced rest and everybody else can do the things you probably would normally be doing at home.

Realistically, will your insurance cover all costs if you cancel? Can you book the same or similar cruise for a later date? If you are still working, does it muck up your holidays taken, or will you then have to use sick leave? Will you still enjoy your cruise slightly incapacitated? I guess these are all the things you will have to take into account and weigh up the pros and cons.

Good luck with your decision making, and I hope all goes well for you, with your holiday and also with your healing. :)

So sorry to hear about your fall. In a split second so much we take for granted can change. I can relate. And I hope you get some good tips here.

I took a terrible fall in Singapore (missed a curb) a few days before we left on a month long Volendam Asia-Japan cruise - huge black and blue swollen hand and broken finger bones. Not much to do, but wrap it and wear a sling for the entire trip. (DH is a retired MD so that was some reassurance.).

I could use the very tips of my fingers on one hand, but could not make a fist or grasp anything at all with that hand. Thank goodness it was my left hand that was out of commission. Then spend 6 months in physical therapy once I got back home when the swelling finally went down. 80% recovery.

Luckily we were in a Neptune Suite, so going for little bites for breakfast and lunch was easy. We bought a little tray in Thailand to carry things back to the suite. The MDR waiters were even willing to cut my food for me. I felt like a little kid.

Took a lot of ibuprofen and managed all activities. Had scarfs I planned to wear as accessories that now ended up as color coordinated slings for all occasions, even a glitter on for formal night. .

So it worked out okay as I learned to work around it, and I knew the HAL doctor was "down the hall" (or even one in the room) if I needed anything more. Happy memories from that cruise, so I now don't remember the hard parts.

Take a good look at all the elastic brace things in the drug store, as a little extra support for those bruised joints goes a long way. You can get some ice delivered to the cabin if that helps the swelling. Easy pull on and off clothes are a must.

One of those zipper pull cords if you don't have someone to help you. I had to carefully plot out how I would dress and undress, which took twice the effort with only one hand. And flat soled shoes so you always have sure footing, but you already know this one.

This time I get to try traveling with double-vision. Getting older sure has its challenges. But cruising could very well be the best place to suffer most of them.

Hope it all goes well and remember there are no rules you have to do anything other, than be lazy and have all those wonderful things done for you during your recovery time. Even the ports viewed from the ship can give you a sample of the foreign lands you will be visiting.

And instead of a shore excursion if you are not up to it, this might be the time to take advantage of the port day spa services. Think about the Thermal Spa pass for some more pampered down time.

My Husband had a Pilon Fracture (Tib/fib) 10 months earlier (he was still on crutches, non weight bearing) and we CHOSE to do a cruise for our yearly Month long holiday (Australia-Vancouver) in April instead of our regular "always on the go" vacations. It worked out perfect! Do as much as you want or as little as you want while having 5 star holiday. It was a real holiday for me also, it was sooo nice to have people looking after me as well, having been a care giver and 100% responsible for every aspect of daily living was really exhausting, a real holiday for both of us. The staff and fellow passengers we so empathetic and helped where ever we were. That's why we love HAL. We wouldn't have had that kind of care and compassion from the "Other" cruise lines.... You will be pleasantly surprised how much you'll enjoy the different style of cruising than what you are used to. Enjoy!

I broke my right Tibula in mid-June 2015 (still have the plate and eight screws in place) and couldn't do a driving vacation. So in September 2015 went back to cruising. What a lucky break! :D

I would manage to walk as much as I could and then find a place to rest while DW went off on her own. She would rejoin me and we would continue the cycle. It worked out very well.

Enjoy your cruise!

You have my sympathies! It's awful to have all your plans set up and have to figure out to travel under different circumstances.

Are you in casts or removable bandages? Do you need a wheelchair to get around? What is your doctor's opinion about travel?

My husband broke his arm about a week before a cruise. It was high in the upper arm, so no cast, just a sling. It was a cruise on QE2, so I had to go out and buy dark fabric for a formal night sling to go with his tux. I had to learn to tie a tie, help him tie his shoes, basically be a valet. Fortunately, because there was no cast, he was able to use the thalassotherapy pool to do his arm swinging physiotherapy exercises. When we got back, his doctor and physio were impressed with his improvement.

Talk to your doctor about physiotherapy and exercises you can do. If you can be in water, definitely use the hydropool for exercise, if your ship has one. On our recent cruise, we went to the spa early when nobody was there and walked in the pool without the bubbles going. It worked wonders for my sciatica.

I agree that the care you get on a cruise is a good way to recuperate. Think of it as a glamorous version of assisted living. Remember that HAL is generous with room service, so if you don't want to go to breakfast (or any other meal) it can come to you.

Remember that you don't have to make the decision about possibly cancelling right now. If you have no insurance, you're out the money now or three weeks for now. If you do have insurance, it will pay now or three weeks from now. (If you have insurance, I suggest you call them and see what you would need to be paid if you do decide to cancel)

Wow. I am soooo sorry this happened. I did the shattered fibula with tibia dislocated at the ankle on a trip - 4 days in a hospital in Italy, 3 flights with an overnight stay to get home, then surgery. Non-weight bearing for 16 weeks, then physical therapy 3x/week for a year to get as good as it could get (I can walk, jog, ski, bike, but my leg healed at a bit of an angle, so it's "interesting").

I did take a trip 3 months in and still non-weight bearing, but I still had a blast doing a lot of what I wanted to do.

Absolutely have a good chat with your ortho to be sure you have all your medical bases covered. Get some good pain meds to have just in case things get too much - it happens. Be sure you know exactly what you can and cannot do. Get some appointments with a physio (aka physical therapist) - tell them what you are doing. Have them work with you as much as possible before you leave. Have them set up a set of instructions for you to RELIGIOUSLY follow to keep up therapy on the cruise!!!! I cannot stress this enough. Even though you are going to be on vacation, you need to do that PT if you want to get your mobility back. If you are traveling with someone, have him/her go with you so they can be "coached" by the therapist on what to assist with or how to help you. It does help - I did this for a friend who had an ACL reconstruction and I helped with her extensions - I had to be strong enough to not cave in when she would say "enough"... See if the therapist can give you some devices to help with your exercises - therabands, over-the-door climbers...

Two more things: When I had shoulder surgery, I had trouble laying and sleeping. If you have the same problem, go to Brookstone (store or catalog) and buy a NAP rest pillow. It will let you "sit up" on the bed and give you something to rest your bent arm on. I had a permutation of this to use (mine was from Brookstone, but had a reading light, too) and it allowed me to be more comfortable in bed. Yes, it's going to be bulky, but I would deal with it in order to be comfortable on a strange bed for 43 nights! Try it at home.

Second thing: go to the Broken Beauties website!!! Check out all the very cool slings they have!!! get a few to boost your spirits and change up your wardrobe. I bought a Skulls & Roses one for fun and a silk one for "dress up" - beats the boring black you get at the doctor!!!

broke my right hand (I am right handed) two weeks before a ta from rome I 2008. then broke my shoulder just before an 11 day western med in 2013. my DW said I did it to get out of handling the luggage (year right) Both trips were great!

While I haven't cruised with any "broken" bones, I did cruise this past March less than three months after open heart surgery. I had the blessing of my cardiac surgeon and carefully assessed how to best modify my usual cruise activities, including handling our luggage, and all went well. My only advice would be to be completely honest with yourself when assessing whether you are up to it.

DH broke his elbow about 6 weeks before. We got permission from the surgeon. Then I arranged to have our luggage shipped to the pre-cruise hotel. We got porters to move the luggage to our room, and also used porters to help get it to the taxi and eventually the ship. W/ his elbow in a sling, we utilized snap shirts that just let us snap the sleeve around the cast. Since it was a cold weather cruise, we got him a poncho. It was designed for someone in a wheelchair, but we didn't have to worry about getting a coat over his elbow. We blew off formal night, and ate in our Grand Suite. Strange, we usually don't stay in Grand Suites and we just happened to book one for this cruise. Really came in handy.

As long as the "will" is there... painkillers can numb the pain to ensure you get on board.

If mobile challenged.... possibly a transport wheelchair that can be collapsed when inside the room.

Two weeks before we were scheduled to fly to London to take a 71 day cruise around Africa and back to Rome DW fell and broke her right arm. We seriously discussed cancelling the trip, but decided she might be more comfortable cruising with no housekeeping or cooking to worry about. We told her doctor our plans and he gave her a brace that was held with velcro that she could use after the cast was removed in six weeks. The cruise was enjoyable, the ship's doctor removed the cast on a sea day off the coast of Namibia and she healed perfectly. We were charged about $350 for X-rays and cast removal aboard ship; Tricare Overseas picked up most of that. I had to help her take a shower and dress for six weeks, and carry both of our luggage getting to the ship, but all in all it wasn't a bad experience and we were glad we didn't stay home.

I cruised with a broken arm. All the above advice is spot on. The only thing I can add is that the attention and helpfulness of the crew was incredible. Someone was always there to pull out or push in a chair, carry a tray or whatever was needed. It was always with an encouraging smile that erased the frustration of not being able to do those things myself. Our cabin attendants were especially thoughtful and would constantly remind me to leave everything to them.

Cruising was a great way to rest and recover without all the household tasks and also provided easily accessed entertainment options. Great distractions. interestingly, my rather immense case was a great conversation starter and we ended up with more "cruise buddies" on that cruise than ever before or after.

All in all, there were many silver linings so if doc says ok, I say go for it. May you heal quickly and completely.

OH NO!

I broke my elbow and had to have surgery 8 weeks before my cruise. Talk about tough timing. Fortunately, I was not in a cast but a brace so I would have been permitted to cruise.

Fortunately the brace came off in time for the cruise. I used the hydrotherapy pool for my exercises but it was tough at times.

My concern is your broken elbow. Is it in a cast? Or in a brace?

If it's in a cast I don't know if you can/should travel.

Check with your orthopaedic surgeon. It has to be checked on a regular basis and you are going to need to start rehab as soon as you are cleared.

I feel so badly for you. You must be in a lot of pain. Poor you.

DW cracked a vertebrae while visiting KL on an extended trip.

She did a 14 day scheduled cruise two weeks later, after a nine hour flight to Australia. We subsequently changed a two week car trip through New Zealand to a last minute 17 day cruise. Worked out just fine.

Our last cruise I had fractured several bones in my foot about ten days before we sailed. The crew and fellow passengers were all very kind...offering me chairs if I was in a line, the use of elevators for getting to the area for tendering, etc.

I did have to change my plans in a few ports, but I still had a great time.

I did not have a cast, I had a removable fracture shoe/low boot that I wore the whole time.

The only issue I had was a day when the seas were quite rough, walking on that foot was much more difficult than I thought it would be...but I did it, it was still a ton of fun.

I would definitely discuss traveling with your doctor, and be sure to have enough pain medicine if you still need it.

Edited by medsed

Wow! So sorry this happened, but you've gotten a lot of good advice here.

I broke my finger this past July, had surgery, in a cast 4 weeks and am still going to PT. Thankfully I didn't have a cruise booked until September. The cast was off and I just continued my PT every day.

My only concern would be crowds and keeping that elbow from getting jostled/bumped. I was paranoid about my hand, every little touch was excruciating. Are you in a cast? I guess no surgery was needed?

I shattered my elbow this spring... surgery resulted with a plate and 9 screws.

The cast came off 2 1/2 weeks after the surgery and my ortho Dr had me start Physical Therapy the day after the cast came off. I used a sling for weeks when I was away from the house.

I'd have a frank talk with your Doctor and follow his/her advise. Ask about getting a course of exercises you can do to regain use of the hand and knee since you'll be gone 42 days.

With the bad knee I'd consider booking a small wheelchair for the cruise. Balance on a ship if there are waves isn't all that easy with every limb working at full capacity :) and you only have one good arm to catch you if you lose your balance. I found after my broken elbow my balance wasn't all that it should be until with physical therapy I was able to use it normally. A cane or scooter to aid the knee will probably be difficult to maneuver with the bad elbow and opposite thumb.

If you decide to book a wheelchair delivered to the cabin - You can get get wheelchair assistance from HAL for embarkation and disembarkation.

Be sure to talk with your doctor about going. I broke my knee 6 weeks before a cruise and my doctor told me in no uncertain terms that he did not want me traveling for at least 8 to 10 weeks. Part of the problem is that if you have had surgery, blood clots are a real issue and being on a ship is not the best place to be if a clot occurs.

My husband and I had been considering it, but then we realized that it was going to be too inconvenient for us. Wheelchairs are great until you realize exactly how inaccessible many things are. I had no way of getting into a tub or standing in the shower. The ship we were going on tendered to about half the ports and I really didn't want to deal with that. For those ports that we were at a pier, many had uphill climbs as we walked through town. I was fortunate that my husband was strong enough to pick me up and push me around. But once we gave it some real thought, we decided to cancel and go at a later time. Travel insurance took care of all the non-refundable costs. Will never travel without it. Our next cruise was scheduled about 4 months after the accident and both my husband and I were much more comfortable.

Julie

Sorry to hear about your accident, not a good way to start a cruise. We are skiiers and as we take most of our cruises in the winter we always worry one of us will fall & do damage that prevents us from taking our cruise. I hope it all works out for you and you can do your cruise. All the best.

Allan

Hflors,

I know it is hard one finger typing from experience but if you can (or can get someone else to type for you) please let us know when you can what your Doctor said. Wishing you all the best.