Opinions of Holiday Inn Port of Miami/Downtown

bahama_mama2015

Hampton Inn is newer and more popular - also check the nearby Homewood Suites that recently opened.

There was a thread here recently about the Holiday Inn being sold and scheduled for extensive renovation.

I addition to those check the Hyatt, Intercontinental, Doubletree and the Marriott next door to the Doubletree.

Hampton Inn is newer and more popular - also check the nearby Homewood Suites that recently opened.

There was a thread here recently about the Holiday Inn being sold and scheduled for extensive renovation.

I addition to those check the Hyatt, Intercontinental, Doubletree and the Marriott next door to the Doubletree.

The Holiday Inn was sold but I haven't heard about extensive renovations. The company that purchased it had planned to tear it down someday to build a 77 story tower. It has been sold to someone else I believe since then.

Edited by cjskids

I used to stay at Holiday Inn , even up to this time last year, but found last time that it was starting to show wear and tear in a noticeable way. ie; toilet in room was wobbly, not anchored down to the floor. Water from bathroom tap was either scalding hot, or cold, and would change temps without turning the tap. Shower water temp was lukewarm no matter what you did with the tap. Last year, for the excellent rate I got, I thought it was fine. This year when I heard that it had been sold, and that there were hit or miss reviews, I chose a different hotel, and actually stayed out by the airport, which worked out fine for me. Hampton Inn blue lagoon was perfect for my needs. Shuttle from airport to hotel, and Publix and liquor store, starbucks across the street from hotel among other things. great hotel staff, comfortable rooms and 10.00 pp shuttle to the port/cruise. worked great for me.

However from now on, for downtown, I will likely go for Hampton inn Brickell, or Interconinental, or further down Biscayne blvd, Hilton downtown Miami, or Marriot Biscayne. Of course there are many more great hotels downtown Miami, but they all tend to be pricy.

Edited by SMSACE6

Thanks for the input. In your opinions which is closest to the port but also close to nightlife and restaurants.

Thanks

Some prefer Bayside Market - too touristy for me. Mary Brickell area has many more local dining/nightlife options.

We stayed two years at the Holiday Inn POM. While we appreciated the location, the elevator situation is a nightmare the morning you leave for the cruise. It was made especially difficult when my Mom traveled with us -- she has mobility issues.

While Bayside is nice and will serve the purpose to kill some time, I think the Brickell area offers different options. We stayed at the Hampton Inn and were impressed. The room was fine, we received free drink coupons when we arrived (we are Hilton members) and the free breakfast was actually pretty decent. And the best thing was that the elevators, while busy, weren't the horrible mess they could have been.

There was no hesitation on our part to book the Hampton Inn again for our next cruise.

Ten to fifteen years ago, the Holiday Inn POM and Bayside Marketplace were really the only game in town and crime was also miserable then.

Now it is a whole different game. Tons of hotel and dining options. Very little crime.

While the view from Bayside is incredible, I'd rather go somewhere like River Oyster or American Social for waterfront and Mary Brickell or one of the hotels for nightlife.

Ten to fifteen years ago, the Holiday Inn POM and Bayside Marketplace were really the only game in town and crime was also miserable then.

Now it is a whole different game. Tons of hotel and dining options. Very little crime.

While the view from Bayside is incredible, I'd rather go somewhere like River Oyster or American Social for waterfront and Mary Brickell or one of the hotels for nightlife.

And this would be some really great advice!! Happy hour at River Oyster tonight was a good one!

Edited by cjskids

Oh well! We have booked to stay for one night before our cruise next month.

I'm sure we'll be fine :D

Yes, no worries, you will be fine. The rooms are clean and well equipped, and I have always found the hotel staff to be excellent, so if you are experiencing any problem with the room, they are very quick to help resolve any issue. For one night before a cruise, it is a good place to stay, with many many options nearby for dining, the location is great. Have a great cruise.

Just thought I would add the Yves Hotel across the street from Bayside Marketplace into the conversation. Have not stayed yet, but the reviews both on Cruise Critic and other sites have been good. We have stayed in the Intercontinental several times, but for a one night stay in May, 2017 it was just to expensive. We have also stayed in the Mary Brickell area and enjoyed our time in that part of Miami as well. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, Port of Miami, Downtown for 3 nights before our cruise in September.

We actually enjoyed our stay there. Yes, maybe it is a little worn in spots but nothing that bothered us. The lobby is gorgeous. We had a room at the front of the motel with a view of the street and the water. Lots to see outside the window.

The staff was excellent, always cheerful and willing to help you with anything you might need. I was just browsing at the vending machine in the lobby when one of the employees saw me. He informed me that there is a CVS at the end of the block (I was already aware it was there) if I wanted or needed something in particular.

At one point I wanted just hot water and I don't like to make it in the coffee machine because it tastes like coffee. Took a paper coffee cup from the room and went downstairs to the restaurant to ask for hot water and it was given to me without any questions asked. I figured all they could do was say no, so it didn't hurt to try.

The trip to the cruise port is quick and easy from there. There are taxis waiting right outside the motel to take you to the port.

We would not hesitate to use this property again.

Edited by MrsK

We stayed 2 nights pre cruise and one night post cruise in April. The staff was great and the rooms were fine. Yes the elevator was a bit slow but we liked the location. The Hop on Hop off bus was just across the street so we used it for touring. Bayside marketplace is also a great place to spend some time.

Would we stay there again? Yes. That being said we got a better price with YVE for our cruise next spring so we are giving them a try.

Either way it is a good area and a quick trip to port.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, Port of Miami, Downtown for 3 nights before our cruise in September.

We actually enjoyed our stay there. Yes, maybe it is a little worn in spots but nothing that bothered us. The lobby is gorgeous. We had a room at the front of the motel with a view of the street and the water. Lots to see outside the window.

The staff was excellent, always cheerful and willing to help you with anything you might need. I was just browsing at the vending machine in the lobby when one of the employees saw me. He informed me that there is a CVS at the end of the block (I was already aware it was there) if I wanted or needed something in particular.

At one point I wanted just hot water and I don't like to make it in the coffee machine because it tastes like coffee. Took a paper coffee cup from the room and went downstairs to the restaurant to ask for hot water and it was given to me without any questions asked. I figured all they could do was say no, so it didn't hurt to try.

The trip to the cruise port is quick and easy from there. There are taxis waiting right outside the motel to take you to the port.

We would not hesitate to use this property again.

Thank you for your input. We just want something close to the port for an easy commute in the morning to the port! Are there any bats or restaurants within walking distance?

Thank you for your input. We just want something close to the port for an easy commute in the morning to the port! Are there any bats or restaurants within walking distance?

You have all of the Bayside Market literally right across the street.

Lots of food choices there, some chains... Hooters, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Hard Rock Cafe, Bubba Gump..... and others that were not, some seafood places etc.

It couldn't be any easier. It seems like a safe, well patrolled area with lots of people milling about.

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/

Edited by MrsK

There are many great restaurants the locals go to, within walking distance (not in Bayside):

Cvi.Che 105 (Peruvian)

Fratelli Milano (Italian)

Soya y Pomodoro (Italian)

Niu Kitchen (Spanish/Tapas)

Bali (Indonesian)

At the new Langford Hotel, there is PB Station restaurant, and Pawn Broker, a really cool rooftop bar.

Edited by brunello22