Majesty of the Seas AWFUL

Royal Caribbean has a great product. Having said that, we would not choose Majesty but that doesn't mean we write off the entire line. We use several different lines - spread the love around. ;):D

Sorry you didn't enjoy Majesty and you are certainly free to spend your hard-earned money on another line. Also, the survey you completed was received by RCI but they don't get back to you on things you comment on. They do take them very seriously though, so rest assured your comments were read. They can't personally reply to every guest survey - thousands and thousands per week is a logistical nightmare.

This post, to me, is like this:

I go to Disneyworld & Bush Gardens for theme parks. Well, let me tell you, I just came back from the Iowa State Fair and WHAT A RIPOFF!!!! It's not even close to Disney!! What sham this place is! They had rides that foldup and go back on trucks!! can you believe that!!! Never again Iowa State Fair with a ticket price of 10 bucks to get in. Disney all the way for $100.

Seriously, this guy is on another planet or something.

I love analogies. Yours is very well done. :)

Sorry to hear that you are in the area affected by Hurricane Matthew. My part of the country, Louisiana, just went through tremendous loss to flooding so I know what you are going through.

Here's hoping that you will be back in your home soon and that the damage is minimum.

Thank you for your kind thoughts..

My son is currently stationed at Ft. Polk, Louisiana. He recently asked me "Does it ever stop raining in Louisiana"? I just laughed....

So we went on a cruise on Majesty to get a quick cruise in between cruises. I knew she was old and small. I have to say that I was impressed with her for her age. Yep it was a party cruise the day after Thanksgiving. I booked a JS before looking at where it was located. Didn't get any sleep because of the deck party. That said, I didn't blame the ship for the lack of sleep. I thought the crew was great and the ship in very good shape for it's age. I actually like the smaller ships. I would not hesitate to go on her again. Sorry your cruise was not up to par.

I just presumed the poop deck comment was a joke to be honest! :) haha

I cruised Majesty last year around the same time, as a first cruiser and to be honest it was great fun. Food was fab crew were amazing, rooms were slighly dated but hey, cheap cruise on the oldest ship in the fleet pretty much. It exceeded my expectations considering I am a newbie.

It was good enough I booked with RCI again for next year put it that way! :)

We went on a 3 cruise on the MoS with a group on 23 Sep 2106.

When I say it was awful I am not exaggerating. We have cruised with Princess 5 times and Disney 13 times. This was our first RCI experience. We were lead to believe that this ship had been refurbished earlier this year. I don't know what RCI considers a refurb, but there was no hint of any new work.

Where do I start?

Cabin was decent but worn. We were in 1044 and I have been in cleaner hotel rooms. Bathtub had a very high step over to enter.

Carpeting in the halls had water staining. Carpet by doors to the outside were filthy. Filthy! Years of dirt.

Outside decks had gum on the surface that had never been removed. There were dirty dishes everywhere. It was disgusting.

Every window on the ship was dirty.

I never saw anyone with a vacuum cleaning the common areas.

The topper. The last day there was poop on the top deck by the bar. Yes poop. The crew stood there are looked at it for minutes.

This is s short list of issues. The food was terrible. I have written RCI and completed their survey with no reply.

I guess they don't care that this ship is awful and that we will never go back.

It is Disney only for us from now on.

Celebrity might be a better option for you try if you’re used to sailing on one of Disney’s 4 ships. Solstice Class ships are excellent.

This post, to me, is like this:

I go to Disneyworld & Bush Gardens for theme parks. Well, let me tell you, I just came back from the Iowa State Fair and WHAT A RIPOFF!!!! It's not even close to Disney!! What sham this place is! They had rides that foldup and go back on trucks!! can you believe that!!! Never again Iowa State Fair with a ticket price of 10 bucks to get in. Disney all the way for $100.

Seriously, this guy is on another planet or something.

To carry this analogy a bit further...

The OP spent $100 for the Iowa State Fair VIP package that includes a free hotdog and a personal guide. Then didn't understand why it still wasn't as good as WDW.

Paying as much or more for a JS on Majesty as you would for a normal room on a Disney ship is insanity in my book.

We cruise much more often on Royal, due to $$$, but if I was dropping the same cash I promise you that I'd be on a Disney ship every single time. It costs more for a reason! To me, it's a deluxe cruise. Love, love, love the DCL.

Edited by poncho1973

It was our first RC cruise...+20 years ago... The new ships are so, so different ... There is no way to compare or to assume that it is the RC "standard" 😉

What were standard cruise lines 20+ yrs ago, have changed with today's cruise ships. But some standards like cleanliness and food quality should not change even though menus will change.

Everyone has lived in a home for many years, which doesn't take the daily abuse of both weather conditions and human abuse and if you don't put effort into maintenance the house falls into disrepair. Royal, and every cruise line (I imagine) has a plan for maintenance and repair work, and any cruiser on any day on any sailing could find something that they feel 'isn't up to par and needs maintenance'. If I find something I just make a note of it and leave it at the GS for the Hotel Manager.

I have never had anything really disappointing as far as food goes on a ship.

But if anyone compares what is available to do on Her Majesty to her biggest sisters, they are setting themselves up for disappointment. But she can still deliver a wonderful cruise vacation.

To carry this analogy a bit further...

The OP spent $100 for the Iowa State Fair VIP package that includes a free hotdog and a personal guide. Then didn't understand why it still wasn't as good as WDW.

Paying as much or more for a JS on Majesty as you would for a normal room on a Disney ship is insanity in my book.

We cruise much more often on Royal, due to $$$, but if I was dropping the same cash I promise you that I'd be on a Disney ship every single time. It costs more for a reason! To me, it's a deluxe cruise. Love, love, love the DCL.

I checked and for the 3 day cruise, they are virtually the same price after my D+ discount. However, on the 7 day, The Disney ship is more than a $1,000 higher than Oasis. FWIW, I find the Oasis JS to be a superior experience than the other Royal ships I've sailed on.

I have never had anything really disappointing as far as food goes on a ship.

But if anyone compares what is available to do on Her Majesty to her biggest sisters, they are setting themselves up for disappointment. But she can still deliver a wonderful cruise vacation.

:) I totally agree with you ;)

There is no mystery that Majesty is the second oldest ship in the fleet and is not a typical Royal ship. People should really research what they're getting into. I've been on her 14 times and would go back any day. One of the best crews in the fleet. I don't doubt your feelings, she's just not for you.

I felt just like you did when I did a "crossing" on Queen Elizabeth 2 and prayed every day for a rescue helicopter. But went back to Cunard for Queen Mary 2 in her inaugural year and was totally impressed.

You might feel the same about one of Royal's newer ships.

The QE2 is my all time favorite ship. However I sailed on her in 1995.

So you have gone on Disney 13x & Princess 5x.

With that much experience.

Why would you choose RC's oldest & smallest ship?

And then come here and judge them on that.

Do some research next time.....

I think he went as part of a group.

The Majesty just does 3 & 4 night cruises. Those are party cruises. What did you expect?

You know, we have done about 19 cruises, most on RCCL but also other lines. We mostly do 7 day cruises and only once did a three day cruise over the Memorial Day weekend. It was one of our first cruises, so I really did not think of how a short holiday cruise might be different than a 7 day cruise. Looking back it was one of our more interesting cruises... with a lot of different types of people. We had the college party kids, an insurance company cruise complete with the corporate suck up who kept trying to chat up the head guy and assorted odd characters.... there were two guys I swear were mob hit men... one looked like the evil guy in the movie Ghost who gets taken away by to shadow figures. The people were so interesting I actually started writing down character details I thought I could use in a book. Now I am not a writer but I really found so many different and interesting people. Since then the passengers have not been nearly as fascinating. Not to say that they aren't nice, just that I have seen no mob hitmen types since :)

I checked and for the 3 day cruise, they are virtually the same price after my D+ discount. However, on the 7 day, The Disney ship is more than a $1,000 higher than Oasis. FWIW, I find the Oasis JS to be a superior experience than the other Royal ships I've sailed on.

And that's why we keep sailing Royal. I think anything Voyager-class and up is worth it by a long shot.

I love DCL cruises, but I've only been on a half dozen of them for that reason.

Obviously, we've also been on the older, smaller Royal ships... but honestly those are completely just because as the poster said above "bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work." I have a hard time turning down a chance to cruise.

Even my personal worst cruise ever, a quickie on Monarch, which led me to label her the Dump of the Seas was still a nice vacation. I hated that ship, but I loved my vacation. I was just completely sad that she was stuck for so long as our only weekend, last-minute, quickie ship. When she was replaced by Enchantment we went on her several times knowing it was an older ship, but a good ship. She was a great option when the last minute prices dropped to almost nothing.

We haven't had the heart to check out Majesty, no matter how many updates she has over Monarch & Sovereign. We'll just sit out weekend quick trips until a better ship is in our home port.

Edited by poncho1973

And that's why we keep sailing Royal. I think anything Voyager-class and up is worth it by a long shot.

I love DCL cruises, but I've only been on a half dozen of them for that reason.

Obviously, we've also been on the older, smaller Royal ships... but honestly those are completely just because as the poster said above "bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work." I have a hard time turning down a chance to cruise.

Even my personal worst cruise ever, a quickie on Monarch, which led me to label her the Dump of the Seas was still a nice vacation. I hated that ship, but I loved my vacation. I was just completely sad that she was stuck for so long as our only weekend, last-minute, quickie ship. When she was replaced by Enchantment we went on her several times knowing it was an older ship, but a good ship. She was a great option when the last minute prices dropped to almost nothing.

We haven't had the heart to check out Majesty, no matter how many updates she has over Monarch & Sovereign. We'll just sit out weekend quick trips until a better ship is in our home port.

We have two MJ's booked for next January. One is a JS on the replacement for what was a Rhapsody voyage, :( and the other one is both of us going solo in OV cabins up on Deck 8 I think.

We'll do some 3 or 4 days in 2018 if the price is right. We'll be more flexible then. ;)

Edited by John&LaLa

Hey Matt .. i'd love to hear more about your experience on the QE2 .. don't hear much about that one ... she was kinda of before the Cruise Critic era ...

What was the bad experience?

QE2 sailed for almost 40 years and was indeed around for CC for quite a few years, having left service in 2008.

I can't speak for Matt, but QE2 and Cunard as a whole is not for everyone. Upscale, enforced evening dress code- very British. On the TA's you had best have your sea legs and stomach. Otherwise many RCCL cruisers will find it boring.

Me? I always loved her, even in force 12 seas on the north Atlantic. Now, that's what I call fun; watching her plow through those conditions at 26-28 knots! :D

[quote=the-chief;51268215

The topper. The last day there was poop on the top deck by the bar. Yes poop. The crew stood there are looked at it for minutes.

POOP! Was there perhaps one of the so-called "service" dogs on board?