Viator Tours

I just booked a full day tour with Viator. We will be arriving two days early into Hong Kong for our cruise in February. I know this company is owned by Trip Advisor, but just wondered if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with them? This is my first time using them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you look on the Ports boards, there are many comments on Viator.

General summary- usually great prices, but customer service issues reaching vendors when there is a problem (this reflects our experience as well, we now only deal with actual vendors.)

Viator is a broker, not an actual vendor- they don't provide the actual tour. They take your money, and contract with a local vendor. Reaching this local vendor when there is an issue can be troublesome.

But if price is your only motivator...

Viator is a booking agency, not a tour operator.

So the quality of the tours they sell is pretty variable & depends on the actual operator rather than on Viator.

If you are prepared to trawl the web to find it, you can book exactly the same tour direct with the tour operator for a lower cost. But Viator is a large & reputable international organisation, and booking through them you can be sure that you're not going to be scammed, and that if something goes wrong they will reimburse. As you will appreciate, getting recompense from an unknown local operator in another country thousands of miles from home is rather more difficult.

We've only used Viator once, by co-incidence in Hong Kong.

This was for a day-trip to Guangzhou (Canton) in mainland China. It included a group Chinese visa, and for that reason full payment was required with a direct booking, same as it always is with Viator bookings. So for the peace of mind,we opted to book through Viator.

More expensive than booking direct, but not by much - Viator get their profit from a combination of higher price from the customer and bulk discount from the operator.

Couldn't fault them.

The day before the tour they reminded us of the arrangements both by text message and by phoning us at the hotel, and the tour passed off without problem.

The only disadvantage is that the only details their staff can provide are those on their website & its quite limited. No worries with that HK booking since there was enough for us to figure out the tour operator, and we got the full details from that operator's website.

JB :)

Edit, re Bruce's post. Since Viator hold funds due to the tour operators, in the event of a dispute they can recompense the customer without cost to themselves by simply with-holding that money from the operator. So in theory resolution should be easier with Viator than with the operator. But that's theory, & we've not had to put it to the test. ;)

Edited by John Bull

So the quality of the tours they sell is pretty variable & depends on the actual operator rather than on Viator.

If you are prepared to trawl the web to find it, you can book exactly the same tour direct with the tour operator for a lower cost. But Viator is a large & reputable international organisation, and booking through them you can be sure that you're not going to be scammed, and that if something goes wrong they will reimburse. As you will appreciate, getting recompense from an unknown local operator in another country thousands of miles from home is rather more difficult.

This was for a day-trip to Guangzhou (Canton) in mainland China. It included a group Chinese visa, and for that reason full payment was required with a direct booking, same as it always is with Viator bookings. So for the peace of mind,we opted to book through Viator.

More expensive than booking direct, but not by much - Viator get their profit from a combination of higher price from the customer and bulk discount from the operator.

Couldn't fault them.

The day before the tour they reminded us of the arrangements both by text message and by phoning us at the hotel, and the tour passed off without problem.

The only disadvantage is that the only details their staff can provide are those on their website & its quite limited. No worries with that HK booking since there was enough for us to figure out the tour operator, and we got the full details from that operator's website.

Edit, re Bruce's post. Since Viator hold funds due to the tour operators, in the event of a dispute they can recompense the customer without cost to themselves by simply with-holding that money from the operator. So in theory resolution should be easier with Viator than with the operator. But that's theory, & we've not had to put it to the test. ;)

The reason I was asking about Viator was that I read a review somewhere that some people were supposed to take a tour in Singapore and it turned out to be during a typhoon. No one was allowed to go outside and so obviously missed their tour. The review said that they were not refunded their $600. My full day tour in Hong Kong is non-refundable, but I would assume if there was a weather related issue that would be a different story.

My full day tour in Hong Kong is non-refundable, but I would assume if there was a weather related issue that would be a different story.

Never assume

read the terms & conditions of your booking & if in doubt ask them to put it in writing that the money would be refunded in those circumstances

Also make sure your trip insurance will cover it if there is no refund coming

No one was allowed to go outside and so My full day tour in Hong Kong is non-refundable, but I would assume if there was a weather related issue that would be a different story.

What do their terms and conditions say about weather related cancellations?

We've used them many times and even when a tour (helicopter in one case) was cancelled due to weather the company that Viatour contracted took care of everything with no 'persuading' needed to get our refund. They keep there eyes on departure times too but never forget that there is some responsibility on the booking party to choose reasonable tour times. You can likely find a tour that sells for less but Viatour seems to nab the best tour guides and that unto itself is worth spending a bit more on. Try any of their small group tours. Cutting to the chase we highly recommend them based on our experiences.

Couldn't fault them.

Thanks, that is what I would think and is why I booked with Viator. I didn't want to try and coordinate a tour with a tour company myself in China. I booked our pre-cruise hotel through Expedia (same one that Celebrity uses) and saved almost 50% off their price. My reservation also included a breakfast buffet and free internet, which Celebrity's didn't. Sometimes it pays to do your own booking/reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've used them many times and even when a tour (helicopter in one case) was cancelled due to weather the company that Viatour contracted took care of everything with no 'persuading' needed to get our refund. They keep there eyes on departure times too but never forget that there is some responsibility on the booking party to choose reasonable tour times. You can likely find a tour that sells for less but Viatour seems to nab the best tour guides and that unto itself is worth spending a bit more on. Try any of their small group tours. Cutting to the chase we highly recommend them based on our experiences.

Thanks for your input. I will need to book some other tours on this cruise and will keep them in mind. Booking with Celebrity is easy, but not always the best.

Referring to your bolded sentence, that has not been my experience with Viator at all!

I've taken tours with them in Rome, Lisbon, various US cities, and in Japan. None of their guides were more than average, and several were quite bad -- giving us rote explanations of the sites. One skipped one of the main sites of the tour with no explanation given. Another abandoned us altogether for about 45 minutes!

I would always recommend looking for a well-vetted local provider rather than going through a large consolidator (aka middle man) like Viator. While I have had success getting my money refunded for a couple of the fiascos mentioned, the money is NOT the main issue for me. I don't visit some of these places often -- perhaps not more than once. I want to have a great experience with the tour(s) I've chosen -- not simply a guarantee that I can get my money back if something goes wrong.....because if something goes wrong and my tour is cancelled with no prior warning (like a certain Viator-booked Rome tour was), it's often too late to hunt down another option at that point.

With so many travelers and cruisers the world over, it is not hard to find well recommended tour providers almost anywhere. Hong Kong should be a piece of cake.

The reason I was asking about Viator was that I read a review somewhere that some people were supposed to take a tour in Singapore and it turned out to be during a typhoon. No one was allowed to go outside and so obviously missed their tour. The review said that they were not refunded their $600. My full day tour in Hong Kong is non-refundable, but I would assume if there was a weather related issue that would be a different story.

Assuming something is correct and seeing it in writing are vastly different things.

I booked our pre-cruise hotel through Expedia (same one that Celebrity uses) and saved almost 50% off their price. My reservation also included a breakfast buffet and free internet, which Celebrity's didn't. Sometimes it pays to do your own booking/reservations.

Don't get me started on "value for money" with cruiseline-booked hotels ;)

Or air, or airport transfers. :rolleyes:

But is it co-incidence that it's the same hotel as Celebrity, or did you trust that if its good enough for Celebrity it's good enough for you?

As a general rule cruise lines pick excellent and reputable hotels - but sometimes they're not in locations convenient for tourists.

Have you checked out that HK hotel location, & are you happy with it?

If for instance it's in Tsim Sha Tsui or Wan Chai, some of the sights will be on your doorstep. But if it's Sha Tin, that's a suburb & every day will start & end with a ride on the mass-transit train.

You can likely find a tour that sells for less but Viatour seems to nab the best tour guides and that unto itself is worth spending a bit more on. .

Our one-and-only experience with Viator may or may not not have been typical, but the tour group was a mix of direct & agency bookings.

Edited by John Bull

Don't get me started on "value for money" with cruiseline-booked hotels ;)

Or air, or airport transfers. :rolleyes:

But is it co-incidence that it's the same hotel as Celebrity, or did you trust that if its good enough for Celebrity it's good enough for you?

As a general rule cruise lines pick excellent and reputable hotels - but sometimes they're not in locations convenient for tourists.

Have you checked out that HK hotel location, & are you happy with it?

If for instance it's in Tsim Sha Tsui or Wan Chai, some of the sights will be on your doorstep. But if it's Sha Tin, that's a suburb & every day will start & end with a ride on the mass-transit train.

Our one-and-only experience with Viator may or may not not have been typical, but the tour group was a mix of direct & agency bookings.

Our hotel seems to be in a great location in the Kowloon area of Hong Kong. Close to the ferry, shopping and 20 minutes to the cruise terminal. We are only there two nights and have a full day tour booked our second day. It looks very nice and if Viator provides the tour as described, we should be fine.

as already mentioned Viator are a 3rd party booking company and contract on behalf of local companies-some of which you can book direct

The main advantage of booking with Viator is if they have an offer where you book several tours with them they may offer a discount -not always offered