Newbie Questions for Liberty of the Seas

Hi We are getting very close to our cruise date it's the 23rd. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on. This will be our very first RC cruise in a junior suite (our 2nd cruise period).

What advise can you please give me regarding your experiences to best enjoy ourselves.

Here's what we're doing so far:

We're going to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel.

We will be renting a car in Houston (not interested in a shuttle and hiring a car both ways is the same price or more as renting) driving to Galveston and parking it in the VIP lot (is that the best one to park in?)

What do I need to know about check in, dropping off bags, going though the port?

We are staying in a junior suite- does that give us any perks we should know about? As I said it's only our 2nd RC cruise.

I've heard people talk about meet and greet parties, lounges etc. Is that available to us? Do we get priority boarding etc.?

Is there anything that would be helpful to have(bring from home) in our cabins?

We will be putting our cell phones on airplane mode and using the ships wifi.

We will be buying Zoom for 4 devices (we each have a cellphone and laptop so does that make sense?)

We are buying the deluxe beverage package (while we don't drink to excess we prefer more than just well drinks) Good enough reason to buy it?

We've been considering buying a dining package probably 3 nights. Anything to know about those?

I don't think we're interested in anything at the Spa unless you think there is something we shouldn't pass up.

Now for the activities shore excursions. We are an active(50 yr old) couple: we zip line, snorkel, paddle board, interested in sight seeing and learning about the places we'll be visiting. Any suggestions here?

Is there anything I haven't thought of? I would love to hear all of your ideas. Thank you in advance for all or your advise, warnings and suggestions!!!

Joelle

Welcome to Cruise Critic, first, i recommend you look for your Roll Call in the Royal Caribbean Roll Call section scroll to the Liberty of the seas and look for your date.There you can introduce yourselves and get to know your fellow CC cruisers. As far as the JS, no real perks other then you will enjoy the larger room. The parking area is right across the street from the Terminal so you can either drop off your luggage, then go back to the VIP & park and walk back & check in. We are cruising out of Galveston next July and renting a car ourselves. Others maybe able toa ssist you with the Ports. Have a wonderful cruise

Welcome to Cruise Critic, first, i recommend you look for your Roll Call in the Royal Caribbean Roll Call section scroll to the Liberty of the seas and look for your date.There you can introduce yourselves and get to know your fellow CC cruisers. As far as the JS, no real perks other then you will enjoy the larger room. The parking area is right across the street from the Terminal so you can either drop off your luggage, then go back to the VIP & park and walk back & check in. We are cruising out of Galveston next July and renting a car ourselves. Others maybe able toa ssist you with the Ports. Have a wonderful cruise

Whats the Roll Call?

You will find a wealth of information on these boards. Don't know how I ever cruised before I found cruise critic.

All the questions you asked have been asked before and you can find your answers here.

Briefly we like VIP parking inside but be sure to book early as they fill up fast.

Jr suite perks include priority boarding and double points toward loyality status. You should not need cabin hacks as you'll have a walk in closet with plenty of room for your things.

The drink packages break even is four drinks a day. You decide.

We unplug and skip the Internet for the most part. We just check emails a few times.

Check the ports of call boards for things to do on port days. My advice is to go with a plan.

I think that's the best way to take full advantage of what there is to do.

Your best source of information about the ports is on the Ports of Call boards. Open for each of your ports for tons of information. No perks for JS, but we actually prefer these over the Grand Suites. Great walk-in closet! Check in has been streamlined at Galveston with the new terminal. Should be a breeze. Get there by 10:30 and you will probably be boarding by 11 if all goes as usual. The meet and greet party is available if you join your Roll-call and sign up for it. It is usually held in a lounge with some party favors given out. Not a big deal. All lounges and bars on the ship are open to you except the Diamond Lounge and the Suite Lounge. Your daily Compass is your best source for information of daily activities. You will get the next day's Compass the evening before in your cabin. If you want daily ice delivery, just tell your steward when you meet him/her on the first day. You get no ice unless you ask. If there is anything else you would like to have, i.e. more hangers, more towels, more pillows, etc. just ask. We think the crew on this ship is super! Happy sails.

The Roll Call Section is is by cruise lines & ship, Those of us sailing on the same sailing, get to meet each other prior to our cruise, set up tours and group activities on board during the Sea Days. We also can register for the Meet & Mingle and once your roll Call reaches a minimum of #25 cruise Critic members, the Ship for Royal Caribbean will set up a meeting time & location. You have been provided the Links.

Scroll down the list of ships to the Liberty and look for your cruise Date, if it is April which I did see then click on the last page for that Roll Call, introduce yourself. In regards to rental agencies, we are renting from the Airport in our case, Bush International or IAH then returning the car back to our Airport for our flight home.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Reference the wifi, unless you intend to use all 4 devices at the same time, you don't need the 4 device package. A 2 device package will probably be sufficient, one for each of you. When you want to use the laptop, just log off the phone and vice versa.

As for additional perks for a junior suite, there really aren't any. You get a bigger room with a huge walking closet and double C&A points but that's about it.

You are WAY overthinking this! Unless everyone will be on their devices AT THE SAME TIME, you don't need to buy 4 plans.

If you are all big drinkers, then the packages make sense...otherwise, buy as you want them. Your choice.

No "perks" for JS...priority boarding is about it. Not a big deal The space is nice, tho!

You can buy any and everything once you're on the ship...you do NOT have to decide in advance. Chill!

This is a vacation...you are not in a competition or anything! I wouldn't buy anything in advance until I KNEW I would use it!

I do love Cruise Critic, and have been on here over ten years. There are other great resources on other social media just by typing in the name of the ship. We have sailed on her three times this year. What a great ship!

I hope you enjoy her as much as we have!

Edited by internetwhiz

On our spring 2015 cruise, we did a private excursion to the Lamanai ruins through Lamanai Belize Tours. At that time (not sure about now), climbing to the top of the temple was still allowed. We would highly recommend the tour; it was the highlight of that cruise - we all loved it, including our teen boys. It's a long tour, though, so you'll need to make sure you have enough time in port for the private excursion or book something similar through the ship. Also, keep in mind that Belize is a tender port, so you'll need to allow for the time involved in that as well. The ruins are remote - requiring about an hour drive each way and then a 45 minute boat ride each way. We were at the ruins a little over an hour. The tour excursion we did also included a homemade meal by the tour operator's wife and mother which was pretty neat. Sunscreen for the boat ride and insect repellent for the ruins are highly advisable.

I also recommend Victor Bodden in Roatan. The last time we were in Roatan we didn't book a tour in advance since we wanted to see what the weather was like before we committed, so we just walked of the ship and found his booth right in the terminal area. We booked a private car with driver for the 2 of us for $80 and we had the driver all day long. She toured us all over the island and took us to all the activities we were interested in. We ended the day at the beach, where she waited until we were ready to return to the ship. I highly recommend this - we will most likely do the same thing the next time we are in Roatan.

Liberty was recently refurbished and looks like new, your JS is very nice with walk in closet etc but no big perks, embarkation line will be shorter. I would get specialty restaurant package, specialty restaurants are so much nicer than MDR, Chops and Giovanni's were both great, had dinner in both twice on last cruise.

In Roatan our favorite excursion is the Dolphin encounter at Anthony Key we have done this 4 or so times over the years and always love it.

Also do not miss the Ice show ( this is repeated a few times) and also play Saturday night fever.

Have a great cruise

Just wanted to let you know. Cabins are usually blocked off until 1:00.

If you like to get on early, it is a good idea to keep your carry-ons to

a minimum so that you do not look (or feel) like a pack mule moving around the ship.

We know that you will have a great cruise.

So if both my husband and I have phones and laptops, and we don't need 4 devices we only have to buy for 2 devices. Can I just buy the 2 devices or does my husband need to also?

Buy as many devices as you need online simultaneously.

Buy as many devices as you need online simultaneously.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. It's $234 for 2 devices if both my husband and buy 1 each. If I just buy 2 devices it's only $117. So I was trying to figure out if he needs to buy one too or can we just use the two I buy?

So if both my husband and I have phones and laptops, and we don't need 4 devices we only have to buy for 2 devices. Can I just buy the 2 devices or does my husband need to also?

If it's just two of you, you only need a two device package. The number refers to the devices that will be used simultaneously. You can use 10 devices if you have them, but only two at any given time!

On our spring 2015 cruise, we did a private excursion to the Lamanai ruins through Lamanai Belize Tours. At that time (not sure about now), climbing to the top of the temple was still allowed. We would highly recommend the tour; it was the highlight of that cruise - we all loved it, including our teen boys. It's a long tour, though, so you'll need to make sure you have enough time in port for the private excursion or book something similar through the ship. Also, keep in mind that Belize is a tender port, so you'll need to allow for the time involved in that as well. The ruins are remote - requiring about an hour drive each way and then a 45 minute boat ride each way. We were at the ruins a little over an hour. The tour excursion we did also included a homemade meal by the tour operator's wife and mother which was pretty neat. Sunscreen for the boat ride and insect repellent for the ruins are highly advisable.

I also highly recommend this tour and company. We did the tour with them last December, and it was incredible. They are very conscious of time and will make sure you get back to the port in plenty of time to catch your tender to the ship. Last year, there were two girls from a Carnival ship who misunderstood their all aboard time. As soon as they realized their mistake and spoke to the tour operators, they secured a private vehicle to get them back to the port in time for their departure. http://www.lamanaibelizetours.com/

I also highly recommend Victor Bodden in Roatan. I've used his company many times, and I've always been very pleased. I've booked with him again for this cruise. http://boddentours.com/

See you on board!:D