Passport Expiration Requirement

swdke

We have a cruise planned for Nov. 5 which is coming up fast. This is a Western Caribbean cruise departing out of Port Canaveral on the Oasis, visiting Labadee; Falmouth, Jamaica; Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico. Just realized that one of our Passports expires March 7, 2017 which is less than 6 months from our cruise date. I know that often cruise lines and countries generally want Passports to be valid as least 6 months from travel date. Wondering if this is going to be a problem for us as I am not sure we can get a renewed Passport in time. I've check out the US Passport application website and it states an expedited Passport can be done in 2-3 weeks, but I am skeptical, and would definitely be a problem if it took longer. as we have just under 4 weeks until we depart. Any advice, suggestions? Thanks!

We have a cruise planned for Nov. 5 which is coming up fast. This is a Western Caribbean cruise departing out of Port Canaveral on the Oasis, visiting Labadee; Falmouth, Jamaica; Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico. Just realized that one of our Passports expires March 7, 2017 which is less than 6 months from our cruise date. I know that often cruise lines and countries generally want Passports to be valid as least 6 months from travel date. Wondering if this is going to be a problem for us as I am not sure we can get a renewed Passport in time. I've check out the US Passport application website and it states an expedited Passport can be done in 2-3 weeks, but I am skeptical, and would definitely be a problem if it took longer. as we have just under 4 weeks until we depart. Any advice, suggestions? Thanks!

It is a closed loop cruise.....you will have no problem.:)

Suggest you bring your birth certificates along "just in case." Though I do prefer using my pass port you can cruise with just a birth certificate on this one.

You can only cruise on just a birth certificate if you are under 16. You also need a government issued picture ID is you are 16 or over. This only works on a closed loop cruise from a US port.

Thanks for the replies, acording to the RCCL website under "Travel Documentation", it states: "Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of the cruise."

I guess with the word "recommends" is a bit more comforting that if it were to state "requires". Also, with the replies and feedback I am receiving is comforting that maybe we won't have to rush to get a Passport renewed.

Thanks for the replies, acording to the RCCL website under "Travel Documentation", it states: "Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of the cruise."

I guess with the word "recommends" is a bit more comforting that if it were to state "requires". Also, with the replies and feedback I am receiving is comforting that maybe we won't have to rush to get a Passport renewed.

Don't forget that the information that they post on the website is generic and meant to fit all of their cruises that they offer all over the world and for all nationalities of passengers. The exception to the 6 month rule only applies to a select group of itineraries.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We always travel with Passports, The unforeseen situation, we don't & hope will not happen, are the emergencies where we suddenly find ourselves having to fly home from a foreign port. Airlines will want to see a passport. The chances are nothing will happen and your fine but it is the comfort of knowing you have all necessary documents for the just in case situations.

Just went through this. When doing the check in for our cruise Oct20, I realized DH passport expires in Jan. We had to go to Boston to have his Passport expedited. Went on Friday and will be overnight mailed Tuesday. Could only do this in person. Wish I had noticed last year when we cruised that it expired soon...oh well. Cost $110 to renew, $60 to expedite and $22.60 to overnight mail. We did enjoy a beautiful day in Boston though so made the trip worth it:)

Just went through this. When doing the check in for our cruise Oct20, I realized DH passport expires in Jan. We had to go to Boston to have his Passport expedited. Went on Friday and will be overnight mailed Tuesday. Could only do this in person. Wish I had noticed last year when we cruised that it expired soon...oh well. Cost $110 to renew, $60 to expedite and $22.60 to overnight mail. We did enjoy a beautiful day in Boston though so made the trip worth it:)

And I hope you realize after reading this thread, that was unnecessary (to renew it early/expedite it).

I don't quite understand the six month thing. I mean, technically, a passport is valid until the day it expires. If it's valid, it's valid. To make requirements that it has to be good until a certain time AFTER you're travelled, to me is kind of silly. I would think it would be more important that it be valid while you're sailing!

Just my opinion.

I don't quite understand the six month thing. I mean, technically, a passport is valid until the day it expires. If it's valid, it's valid. To make requirements that it has to be good until a certain time AFTER you're travelled, to me is kind of silly. I would think it would be more important that it be valid while you're sailing!

Just my opinion.

There are countries in the world that will not allow you to enter unless you have a passport that is valid for at least six months.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html

Just my opinion.

Each country can set their own rules for entering that country.

Just my opinion.

The 6 month rule applies to open cruises that visit certain countries. The countries want the 6 months left on your passports.

OP, this isn't something I would worry about for a closed loop cruise. Like Clarea said, this isn't an issue for that kind of cruise.

Just my opinion.

It does seem crazy. But for some countries you can stay for a certain number of months, and they want you to have a valid passport the whole time you're allowed to be there. (not talking about closed loop cruises here, but for flying in)

Sorry folks but the 6 month rule always applies if you use the passport! If in doubt use a gov ID and a certifies copy of your birth certificate. Just checked with our travel agent for our daughter and family. For the op, send your passport for renewal and do your ID and birth certificate as a back up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just my opinion.

Silly maybe but that is what it is!! Also there is a requirement about so many open pages as well. That should start a whole new discussion!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry folks but the 6 month rule always applies if you use the passport!

Here's the reason one has to parse answers on CC carefully.:rolleyes:

Biker, who is surprised someone can get something so simple so blatantly wrong.

I sailed last Nov with the exact situation you have. Sailed over Thanksgiving and our passports expired the beginning of March. I had NO problem using the passports. I called RCI before sailing and was also told for the closed loop sailings out of the US, the 6 month rule did not apply. The Passports just needed to NOT be expired during the times of the Cruise. I renewed our passports when we got back.

Have a great trip.

Lisa

I don't quite understand the six month thing. I mean, technically, a passport is valid until the day it expires. If it's valid, it's valid.

Each country can set their own entry requirements. Further, some countries require a visa and getting a visa for a particular country often requires that you have 6 months remaining validity on your passport.

None of the countries on the OP's itinerary require US closed loop cruise passengers to have a passport, let alone one with 6 months validity remaining.

Sorry folks but the 6 month rule always applies if you use the passport! If in doubt use a gov ID and a certifies copy of your birth certificate. Just checked with our travel agent

Wrong. Your TA is likely repeating something she heard but doesn't actually understand and didn't verify herself.

DH cruised with his passport being 3 months away from expiration a few years ago and all the check in person said was "oh, BTW, your passport expires in 3 months. Don't forget to renew it". It just has to be good for the length of the closed loop cruise out of the US. I know several people who have cruised with passports that were less than 6 months from expiring with no issues. When you go on a closed loop cruise it is expected you will be on the ship for it's return. The amount of time required on a passport has more to do with that country's visa requirements than anything else (when you arrive to stay for a period of time). What the cruiseline will tell you is you need a "valid" passport which just means it isn't expired or won't during the cruise.

Edited by BND

Sorry folks but the 6 month rule always applies if you use the passport!

Absolutely wrong. There are countries that require your passport to be valid for six months beyond your intended date of departure, others require only three months and there are other countries that simply require that it be valid for the duration of your stay. Every country sets its own requirements.