Ovation of the Seas

Embl

Thanks for that. From reading the actual reviews it sounds like I've made a massive mistake in making a booking. I can't even get my head around some of what's being reported. :(

Why would you think that?

Always remember that there are people for whom the whole point of a cruise is to be able to complain about it.:eek:

I reckon the only mistake you can really make when booking a cruise is to miss the boat.;)

No cruise is perfect, but if you just let any annoyances slide by you, then your cruise will be a happy one.:)

Any handy info, tips, warnings or anything else for first timers on Ovation? :confused:

Yes do not fall into the trap of booking it only because it is brand new. Instead do some research into the cruise line, their types of ship and the demographic they cater to before booking on it.

Different cruise lines suite different people. They are all different and have different standards they set. Some cater to families and some do not, some are more up market and others are not, some focus on the destination and others do not.

Thanks for that. From reading the actual reviews it sounds like I've made a massive mistake in making a booking. I can't even get my head around some of what's being reported. :(

We have made the same mistake booked 15 december 2016 :( Should of stayed home and gone to work :rolleyes: found this video :rolleyes:

Don't stress about reviews. Just go with an open mind and make it the holiday you want it to be. Like do lots or do little and relax. The one cruise we have been on, RCI Explorer of the Seas, we probably only did half of what was on offer and had an amazing time. Looking forward to our next cruise in a few weeks to see if get more motivated this time and do more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Willow45

Everyone has an opinion, we got spoiled on Radiance and love the Ship then felt disappointed on Voyager due to it's size and the crowds. Having said that however, we are booked again on Voyager for Feb 17 and know that we will have a great time.

We'd love to go on a ship the size of Ovation just to experience it. Have a great time!!!!!!! Will be in Sydney to view it on the 15th.

Don't stress about reviews. Just go with an open mind and make it the holiday you want it to be. Like do lots or do little and relax. The one cruise we have been on, RCI Explorer of the Seas, we probably only did half of what was on offer and had an amazing time. Looking forward to our next cruise in a few weeks to see if get more motivated this time and do more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good advice.:D

Does anyone know if we will be able to prebook activities on Ovation? I wondering about those of us on the charter and whether we'll miss out due to the lateness of getting our booking numbers.

I've heard that some reservations are only available to be booked on the ship. Here's a tip that I read on the RCI board to avoid missing out: Download the Royal IQ app on your phone before leaving home. Plan to arrive at the OPT very early. While you're waiting in the queues to check in, you can actually connect to the ship's WiFi and get onto the Royal IQ app. Make all your reservations before everyone else!

Edited by zxc

I've heard that some reservations are only available to be booked on the ship. Here's a tip that I read on the RCI board to avoid missing out: Download the Royal IQ app on your phone before leaving home. Plan to arrive at the OPT very early. While you're waiting in the queues to check in, you can actually connect to the ship's WiFi and get onto the Royal IQ app. Make all your reservations before everyone else!

Brilliant advice zxc. Thank you! :D

Does anyone know if we will be able to prebook activities on Ovation? I wondering about those of us on the charter and whether we'll miss out due to the lateness of getting our booking numbers.

I expect you will. You should still have your booking numbers by about a month out, and then activities will open up soon after.

I expect you will. You should still have your booking numbers by about a month out, and then activities will open up soon after.

Apparently we're supposed to get our booking numbers about 2 weeks out so I hope there are plenty of booking spaces left :confused:

Apparently we're supposed to get our booking numbers about 2 weeks out so I hope there are plenty of booking spaces left :confused:

As long as everyone gets them the same time, everybody will be in the 'same boat' so can't make bookings ahead of others.

You will not be "standing in line" (as cruisers know it) to check in on the Ovation. You will, pretty much, check yourself in on line at home before your cruise and then when you arrive at the OPT your documentation will be scanned by "check in agents" walking around the terminal with I Pads and providing your scan is "green" you can then board the ship. You will of course still have to go through customs and security but you will not be given your sea pass until your on the ship and it will not be your conventional type sea pass card as we know it. I believe check in times will be allocated (or nominated by guests) so as not to have all pax arriving at the same time.

There will of course be some conventional check in desks for passengers unable to complete their "home on line" check in but from what I am told it is an easy and smooth process. Some of the finer details are still to be finalized but its should be a pretty hassle free process.

The Ovation is a "next generation" cruise ship which, while still providing the traditional cruise experience, is run by cutting edge technology.

You will not be "standing in line" (as cruisers know it) to check in on the Ovation. You will, pretty much, check yourself in on line at home before your cruise and then when you arrive at the OPT your documentation will be scanned by "check in agents" walking around the terminal with I Pads and providing your scan is "green" you can then board the ship. You will of course still have to go through customs and security but you will not be given your sea pass until your on the ship and it will not be your conventional type sea pass card as we know it. I believe check in times will be allocated (or nominated by guests) so as not to have all pax arriving at the same time.

There will of course be some conventional check in desks for passengers unable to complete their "home on line" check in but from what I am told it is an easy and smooth process. Some of the finer details are still to be finalized but its should be a pretty hassle free process.

The Ovation is a "next generation" cruise ship which, while still providing the traditional cruise experience, is run by cutting edge technology.

Are they definitely going to do that in Sydney?

While the ship is capable of it, they don't do it in many ports because of the need to set up. Given Ovation is only here for a short time and few cruises, I wasn't expecting them to go that trouble, since they don't in many other places (even where the ships visit more often)...

Are they definitely going to do that in Sydney?

While the ship is capable of it, they don't do it in many ports because of the need to set up. Given Ovation is only here for a short time and few cruises, I wasn't expecting them to go that trouble, since they don't in many other places (even where the ships visit more often)...

We have been told the new system will be used but given the "shortcomings" of the OPT it would not suprise me if it does not happen. The problem I see if they cannot use the new system is the number of check in agents required for such a big ship and the total lack of space available in the terminal for them. All will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Edited by gbenjo

They certainly didn't have the whizz bang check in when I boarded Quantum in Shanghai. Same old check in counters and Sea Pass cards. I think the WOW bands might be optional extras?

Yes, WOW bands are about US$5 onboard (or free in GS and above).

We have been told the new system will be used but given the "shortcomings" of the OPT it would not suprise me if it does not happen. The problem I see if they cannot use the new system is the number of check in agents required for such a big ship and the total lack of space available in the terminal for them. All will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Thanks! Another wait and see... though I'm sure whichever approach is adopted the OPT team will handle it efficiently as always. :D

No idea why so many get worked up about reviews that are nothing more than another person's opinion, I've read a few from cruises that I've been on and thought "really.... was that the same cruise I was on?:confused:"

Last cruise I heard complaint after complaint Mrs Gut and I were as happy as Paige in mud, I'm not sure what would please some people.